Internal Mods. How long would I be without a truck?

50_shooter

Reaction score
I have been agonized by the fact that I want more power, but I can't stand the thought of throwing a rod through the block. I am not really wanting extreme hp, but I would like the bottom end to be able to handle 750.

I am curious as to how long it actually takes to build one of these engines, once all parts are in hand.

Say that I want to put in rods and studs, and also do a dual fuel and a well tested aftermarket turbo kit, and while its there have them beef up tranny with better clutches and converter. What do you think the turn around time would be if one mechanic focused his attention on that?

I ask this because I use my truck for a daily driver. I do have other means of transportation, but I don't like the idea of my truck sitting at a shop for months and months. I know some of the builds on here have been going on for a looong time, but I understand that they are pioneering turbo builds that are taking most of the time, paving the way for people like me.

Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
ive thought the same thing. i cant imagine more than a month for a decent build.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
as Mike said, as long as all your ducks are in a row, money is ready to hand over and parts are available, less than a month for a solid build.

now... things don't always go as planned! LOL BUT, if you put in the logistics and get EVERYTHING lined up ahead of time and the machine shop your builder uses doesn't tie them up, it could happen in a week or two.

safe rule of thumb is: figure out what a reasonable time is (in this instance, we'll say a month) and DOUBLE IT

that way you won't be bummed when it drags on as it does all too often! LOL

stacked6.7

Reaction score
My truck is currently at MPD and should be getting pulled in the shop this week. I'm getting a new long block with rods, studs, and their turbo kit. So this should hopefully answer your question. I believe they are going to start a thread on here at some point.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Unfortunately since converters arent really available yet you'll be on a hold with that. I'd say a month would be a good guess.. What do I know though.. My junk has been in pieces since June.

Jared

50_shooter

Reaction score
Well that gives me an idea of what to expect. thanks

Jared and MPD: I'm near Effingham. If I had one of you guys do it, do you have a rough guess of how long before you could start once I fully commit? I guess I'm asking if you could get it right in, or do you have 100 others to work on before mine gets touched?

Also, would I save money in the long run by having it all done at once? I mean surely the labor would be way less if you were able to focus on doing it all while the cab is off, opposed to doing it piecemeal in several visits, wouldn't it?

I'm on the fence as whether to just be like every other swingin dikk and settle with a tuned truck, OR, to do what I REALLY want to do and go balls out. Part of me says "you need to grow up and act your age and save the money", but the other part says " hells yeah, build that mf'er up and go smoke them priks at the pulls and win my $80 and bragging rights, lol.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
the only way to save more in the long run than doing EVERYTHING at once?

is to buy the finished product from the poor guy who didn't :(

Moremph

Reaction score
What you are talking is not rocket science, Rods, head studs, no machine work really involved their, If you had parts in hand you are talking about all bolt on stuff, No real custom fabricatio, that is not what i would consider to be a "built" engine, just bulletproofing what you got, A competent shop scheduling you in should say two weeks to allow for the missing parts but I see no reason that if it was sitting at my shop at 8 am Monday you couldn't be driving it by the weekend personally. We do head gasket jobs next day on 6.0 all the time when we do heads by exchange. The biggest hold up is I personally would send the heads to the machine shop and that can take anywhere from 2-6 days depending on what parts the heads need and how busy he is.

Now the Trans is a different story their is not allot available their but if you have parts ordered it could easily be done in the same time frame because most shop have a different person build a trans then who does engine work.

El-Magico

Reaction score
Dose anyone sell a built crate engine? That would definitely cut out some down time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

broncof250444

Reaction score
When we built our 6.7 up.... rods, heads with studs, dual fueler and s366 with other odds and ends took about 2 weeks in the shop. We didnt touch the trans but that's only another 2 days ideal..... But granted that you have all the parts there!

anth

Reaction score
My question is how much does one of these built motors cost, or how much would it cost to get your own built? Say one with rods, studs, dual fuelers, and a s366? Just a ruff guess is fine.

Reaction score
If done with a long block ahead of time it could be done very quickly. Right now I have converters on the shelf. Waiting on trans parts though. If you are curious about a build like this we would be more than glad to help. And we are located just outside of springfield.

And we do have dual fuelers and turbo kits.

http://youtu.be/d_db-nxhCl0

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online