International transmissions

fordornothing

Reaction score
So since I have a severe dislike for the ZF6 transmission, I was wondering what manuals came behind the T444E in the international trucks. Did ay of them have a 10 speed?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Anything with an SAE bellhousing, which would allow you to bolt up anything from a 6 speed, up through a 10 speed.

fordornothing

Reaction score
Well when I bought the pickup, it had the factory trans which had been rebuilt by ford several times. That one siht the bed so I swap it with a reman, still a pos. It doesn't shift worth a dam, whines like hell when you're coasting, 3rd grinds every time, unless the oil is past 150*F. And every other ZF6 I've drove is the same way. I'm not a fan of the ZF5 either.

Freightshaker

Reaction score
The 444's I caught in a medium truck were 5. 1,2,3 real snappy then ffffffooooooouuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrr, ffffffffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvveeeeee.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Mine grinds in 3rd. That's the only complaint I have with it. It shifts fast and smooth, and its handled all the power and pulling I've done so far great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
The 6+1 trans would probably be a good choice. Should provide a good mix of down low and top end. Back when I worked for an international dealer I thought how I would love that trans in my pickup as well...One more gear would be perfect for me.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
The 6+1 doesn't have a higher final gear ratio than the zf-6 though does it? It just has more in-between gears which depending on how you use it, could be beneficial.

From what I have seen, they do not bolt up directly to the 7.3. You will need the adapter plate to go to a SAE housing. That same adapter plate thought, will let you bolt up any SAE trans which opens up a LOT of options depending on what you are looking for.

rascal

Reaction score
I love my ZF6. My regulator for the fluid pump is out but I will fix that when I upgrade the clutch.

If I ever need a rebuild it is going to MidWest Transmissions for some upgrades while I am at it.

rascal

Reaction score
Also, that awesome 7.3 build they are doing in the latest issue of DieselPower (see my post in 7.3 aftermarket) is being backed by a ZF6. Can't wait to see the results!

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
The 6+1 doesn't have a higher final gear ratio than the zf-6 though does it? It just has more in-between gears which depending on how you use it, could be beneficial.

From what I have seen, they do not bolt up directly to the 7.3. You will need the adapter plate to go to a SAE housing. That same adapter plate thought, will let you bolt up any SAE trans which opens up a LOT of options depending on what you are looking for.

IIRC they are fairly close. It's been quite some time since I did the research. I pulled up the specs and was looking at it for something I could run 35-37" tires on with my factory gears and still tow, and have reasonable RPM @70-80mph. The gearing meant that there was less of an RPM drop on shifts to keep it more in the sweet spot which would be good for a 6.0. I got the idea after driving a customer's box truck with a 444 and a 6+1, it was surprisingly peppy being how heavy the thing was empty and being lower power rated, compared to a pickup that would be lighter, have more power, etc.

fordornothing

Reaction score
I'm not looking to go fast all the time, more just tow power. Right now I feel like the gears on a ZF6 should be closer together. I was thinking maybe a 8spd but I don't need the LL. I'll look up that 6+1.

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
The 4wd internationals ran a divorced t-case.

I would skip the 6+1 they shift like butt. Eaton Synchro-6 would be my choice.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.