is anyone running the MPD oil cooler relocation kit?

06/6.0

Reaction score
title says it all I ws wondering if anyone is running the MPD oil cooler relocation kit (the plate) or pieced something similar togeather?? I just bought the plate (you cannot buy it online yet) and im working on piecing the rest togeather but really wanted to see what other people are doing to keep the temps fro getting to cold and where other people got there coolers and lines and how it mounted im working with jersey diesel performance to complete the build but I didn't see anything else in the forums thanks in advance!
:ford:

#jerseydieselperformance

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing it using this with a -12 and the correct temp. I woud really like to rid of the stock oil filter and use a screw in type but for ease I might just use a van filter housing with a adapter. I might just buy a bpd plate... I wasn't too pleased with the way mpd handled some verry simple questions. In my opinion I would spend the extra money and go with another
http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=131513003650&alt=web

06/6.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the input garage door guy and equalizer I already have the plate from MDP just got it yesterday and do you know why the van set up didn't work we were talking at the shop about possibly using the ams oil kit

06/6.0

Reaction score
So do you have to run the thermostat I'm in Nj and MD and do a lot of driving and I have someone telling me I won't need it I trust them but I feel like I'm not really gonna want the temp to go below 180

equalizier

Reaction score
If you live where it get's pretty cold then in defeats the purpose of the cooler.The oil would just leave the motor and come back in.Think about it the oil would never be cooled if you are in a place where it's really cold because of the cold temps.When you go down the road that really cold air passing over the cooler is going to instantly close that valve and route it back to the motor.I would bet that it would most likely not even be used in the winter months in really cold places.It's an off again on again switch for the oil cooler it would also be just like the coolant thermostat.

But I will say "you" will need it in the summer and it also depends how the system is built.

Last edited:

HOOV3R

Reaction score
If you live where it get's pretty cold then in defeats the purpose of the cooler.The oil would just leave the motor and come back in.Think about it the oil would never be cooled if you are in a place where it's really cold because of the cold temps.When you go down the road that really cold air passing over the cooler is going to instantly close that valve and route it back to the motor.I would bet that it would most likely not even be used in the winter months in really cold places.It's an off again on again switch for the oil cooler it would also be just like the coolant thermostat.

But I will say "you" will need it in the summer and it also depends how the system is built.

That isn't true. An oil thermostat is not like a coolant thermostat. It has a leakage percentage (around 10%) that still allows flow through the cooler to help prevent thermal shocking.

equalizier

Reaction score
I apologize I should have said that but I have seen coolant thermostats with the little weep holes that leak off also.But as far as completely cutting the oil flow off to the cooler no there is a little that gets through.

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
I know BPD has a cold weather kit(with thermostat) for guys in cold weather climates.

I copied this from BPD's website...
"The Cold Weather Kit serves just like a coolant thermostat for the Bullet Proof Oil Cooler system. It is designed to allow your engine oil to warm up in cold weather climates before it circulates the oil through the air-to-oil cooler. Keep in mind, the Bullet Proof air-to-oil cooler is designed to work in hot summer climates like Phoenix, Arizona. This means that it will work exceedingly well in Alaska in January. Good rule of thumb? If you think you might need the cold weather kit, then you should buy it."

Reaction score
Good luck getting any help from mpd if you have problems I practically had to beg them for a price for over 2 weeks

06/6.0

Reaction score
I'm got it running I'm using a thermostat still seems like its getting g pritty cold at night but we'll see when it starts getting colder out

Snake

Reaction score
Why not just get a kit from Bulletproof Diesel? Great product and great service. Seems like an easy decision to me......

06/6.0

Reaction score
Went with mpd because we have a good relationship with them and we were going to build part of it yourself but in the end it's a pritty legit set up I just need to add a fan behind it and maybe get a different thermostat if it gets to cold

Latest posts

Members online