Is it worth it?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
I have a 2004 F-250 with 124k miles. Super clean truck. Just did the oil change and fuel filters over the weekend. My question is....is it even worth it to completely flush the coolant (has the green in it now). Switch over to Red Cat ELC do EGR ****** new oil cooler with a coolant filter. At the same time I would do a 5" straight pipe x4 with a safe tune and a good monitor. Or would this be a waste because these trucks are so prone to blowing headgaskets? Obviously money is the issue now and most of the labor comes from doing headstuds. Last question is can the coolant flush egr ****** oil cooler and filter be tackled and done on a weekend? I feel like I know the answer is gonna be just wait and do it right but I thought I would ask.....it will be February before I can do it all right.

96F350KID

Reaction score
Green coolant contains high amounts of silicate. Higher than what is found in the OEM gold coolant. You want to remove that as soon as you can due to the silicate is what causes the oil coolers to plug up. If you tune the truck at all you will more than likely blow a head gasket. Seeing guys use "safe tunes" here at my shop have never worked out for them. Usually in 10-15k they blow a gasket. Any added cylinder pressure at all speeds up the process too. If its a super clean truck just stud it and then play. What people used to do was play, blow the gaskets, just keep the coolant full until they're ready. Only issue is they forget about the cylinder heads warping and the deck becoming uneven as well. Hope this story has helped you a bit. Cheers!

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Green coolant contains high amounts of silicate. Higher than what is found in the OEM gold coolant. You want to remove that as soon as you can due to the silicate is what causes the oil coolers to plug up. If you tune the truck at all you will more than likely blow a head gasket. Seeing guys use "safe tunes" here at my shop have never worked out for them. Usually in 10-15k they blow a gasket. Any added cylinder pressure at all speeds up the process too. If its a super clean truck just stud it and then play. What people used to do was play, blow the gaskets, just keep the coolant full until they're ready. Only issue is they forget about the cylinder heads warping and the deck becoming uneven as well. Hope this story has helped you a bit. Cheers!

I do need to get that coolant outta there. I will just hope it holds up till February and I will do it the right way.

Latest posts

Members online