Is there a better injector o-ring fix

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its not.just Tims injectors.that had a bad batch. The ones on my used injectors that I bought when I put them in are ***ked too. All the uppers but three. Came from alliant via midwest diesel.

Motomez

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. I replaced the injector cups with Alliant power cups and O rings and had to replace them again less than 2 years later. The only reason i found this out is that the truck died and wouldn't start.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I dropped an email to Alliant Power when I discovered the oring issue. This the response I got (from latest to earliest)

Hi Billy,

I read the post, interesting. From your first question I was assuming you were using Alliant Power O-rings, by the post it sounds like you are using International/Navistar. We do not supply International/Navistar and we have not seen the issue you are having with the upper seals. It is accurate that high mileage seals will show some slight distortion of the square backup ring at the seam location in the metal ring but nothing as drastic as what is seen in those pictures and should not show any issue with the O-ring itself.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best Regards,

Matt Heacox

Description: AP-Signature
A Diesel Forward Company

Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 2:00 PM
To: Matt Heacox
Cc: Alliant Power Sales
Subject: Re: General question - Injector o-rings

Please read this thread that I started on a Powerstrokearmy (a diesel Ford truck bulletin board) on the o- ring issue. I also posted pictures of the failed o-rings.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55804

Other members posted that they also had issue with Alliant o-rings.

-----Original Message-----
To: gnxtc2 <[email protected]>
Cc: Alliant Power Sales <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Oct 6, 2014 12:34 pm
Subject: RE: General question - Injector o-rings

Hello Billy,

Thank you for the inquiry into Alliant Power products. We have not changed the source of the seals used on our 7.3L injectors in the recent past, in fact we have been using the same source for these seals since the beginning of the program. We also have not seen an influx of seal related warranty claims to indicate there is any type of problem going on.

If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.

Thanks again

Best Regards,

Matt Heacox

Description: AP-Signature
A Diesel Forward Company

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:50 PM
To: Alliant Power Sales
Subject: General question - Injector o-rings

Contact language: English

Sender's Details:
Name - Billy Triantafillou
Email - [email protected]
Phone - United States (+1) 201-774-3428

Category - General question

Subject: Injector o-rings

Lately there is an issue with 7.3 (T444E) injector o-rings failing. There are numerous occurences that the o-rings failed within 10k miles or sometimes sooner. There have been instances where the o-rings failed within 2 months of installation.

Has there been a source or manufacturing change?

Thank you

Billy T

psduser1

Reaction score
Following this thread, my two $...
I used Motorcraft o rings the first time the injectors came out. I know this as fact cause the package sat on the front seat for two months before I got the injectors swapped.
The orings lasted 8-10k miles, and when a nozzle failed, the injectors came out and went to nate. All the top orings were about half done (looked scuffed). The guy doing the work for me isn't a newb, either. As in, he does repair work everyday on these. I trust his work completely.
When I talked to nate, he said he'd seen "several" sets of ford orings fail.
He set me up with alliants, said he'd had pretty good luck with them.I've got about 5k on them now, everything seems to be as it should.:shrug:

Enoch

Reaction score
May be a dumb question but what are the signs/issues with bad inj. o-rings?
Thanks

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I did my passenger side o-rings this afternoon. This is what I pulled out.

20141001_1337571_zps2bc3f088.jpg

So between the driver and passenger side, I had a total of 4 total top ring failures. How is it possible that the motor was still able to run and build ICP? Once I got the motor started, it had full power, no smoke, nothing. Is it due to the different HPOP that was able to supply HPO?

Billy T.
[email protected]
crush washers loom like hammered chit too!
May be a dumb question but what are the signs/issues with bad inj. o-rings?
Thanks
many signs that are similar to many other issues... its hard to figure out unless you actually pull the injectors..

live life full throttle

littleredstroker

Reaction score
So I Finally got around to working on my truck. It would start with ether and idle at 13% and 500 psi. didnt think that was too bad ( couldnt remember what normal was , havent driven it in a year) swapped 2 good, clean IPRs with no change. So I pulled the Drivers side VC and cranked on it hoiping I could see oil leaking from one with no luck. Chased my tail for a few more hours checking and double checking. Started it with either and started looking with AE , ran a contribution test and everything came up good. Walked around the truck one more time while it was running and sure enough. . . Oil coming from all around #8.

Riff Raff injector o rings purchased late 13. top one was destroyed just like the OP

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
So I Finally got around to working on my truck. It would start with ether and idle at 13% and 500 psi. didnt think that was too bad ( couldnt remember what normal was , havent driven it in a year) swapped 2 good, clean IPRs with no change. So I pulled the Drivers side VC and cranked on it hoiping I could see oil leaking from one with no luck. Chased my tail for a few more hours checking and double checking. Started it with either and started looking with AE , ran a contribution test and everything came up good. Walked around the truck one more time while it was running and sure enough. . . Oil coming from all around #8.

Riff Raff injector o rings purchased late 13. top one was destroyed just like the OP
just one? that could very well be an install error.. odds are better that it wqs a bad batch if all the top orings where bad.

live life full throttle

mustube

Reaction score
I pulled my injectors last month and had o ring failures on 7 injectors, the 8th I had already fixed last summer.

20150307_214545.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wtf is going on? My stockers were done with motorcraft. I had intermittent issues...once in a while it'd hiccup when wet. Figured it was an uvch. They started to mis HORRIBLE when cold. Changed them out three sets of bad orings on the pass side.

Put ff 250/2 in with new alliant orings. Those lasted until last fall, about a year. Decided to swap in my brand new (remans of course) pis 250/2s and happened to see this thread. Pm'd tim and he sent me a new set. Got about 10k on it and it seems ok. Crossing my fingers.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
just one? that could very well be an install error.. odds are better that it wqs a bad batch if all the top orings where bad.

live life full throttle

I only pulled the leaking one, the rest werent leaking yet, so I figured I would wait and see how the rest of them go, In hopes that it was Just install error.. but I dont believe so

mandkole

Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with a solution to eliminate the ring gap on the retainer ring. What about a ring a few thou thicker in the diameter but thinner in an overlap area? It would expand a little, but no gap. The elastomers job in that top ring is to be a support cushion, but no elastomer will prevent the material movement through the steel ring gap. Every failure is there.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Are aftermarket pumps and injectors holding pressure in the rail that much better that its literally eroding the viton/elastomer/wtf it is? Seems to me its related to high pressures.

My srp beat the daylights out of the top o rings and holding 3600 psi of icp at wot, no surprise.

I wonder if there's a correlation? I am running a t500 now and my icp is limited to 3100 but rarely sees that as wot in a truck with my mods is dangerous(ish anyway) and between smoke and burning rubber is asking for trouble.

Are people with high icp eating their own orings?

mustube

Reaction score
On mine, the steel top ring wasn't sized right and had too big of a gap on the injector. The new Motorcraft ones I replaced them with were sized better and had a tiny gap in comparison. This is with 175/100s, a stock reman HPOP, and some dialed down tunes so icp wasn't real high.

Latest posts

Members online