Is this a factory air cleaner?

Copracr

Reaction score
I'm just full of questions today.

I've never seen a factory intake for an early 99, but mine looks like an OE but it's in better condition than the rest of the engine bay. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 133

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Looks factory to me. I didnt know they said Power Stroke on the lid, but looks completely factory

JD3020

Reaction score
Didn't Ford after an upgraded air filter and housing that flows/filters better than stock?

But it seems like my buddies E99 said Powerstroke on it, but i don't think it looked like that.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Factory E99 intake says "Intercooled" on it, and since most were replaced with L99 intakes under a recall you don't see many of them around.

Copracr

Reaction score
Factory E99 intake says "Intercooled" on it, and since most were replaced with L99 intakes under a recall you don't see many of them around.

And every one I've ever looked at was aftermarket. I couldn't tell you what the factory one looks like :)

Arisley

Reaction score
The factory E99 air cooler pulls air from the fender, not the grill. Flat top, and at least one clip is broken. Easy to identify by either big zip ties, lots of duct tape (black duct tape can look pretty good, if you take your time), or dusted turbo.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
the E99 factory filter was one of "Ford's Better Idea's" that wasn't all that more better..

the AIS was deffo the hot ticket if you took your time hacking the hole in the header panel..

Arisley

Reaction score
First mod I did to my truck was a 6637 filter.

Actually the first mod was a big giant zip tie around the factory airbox with the broken tabs.

Then I found out about the 6637.

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
none of local parts stores usually carry those severe duty filters. Have never bought one from ford but im sure for what ford charges you could just put a 6637 on there. Something to think about when your due for a filter considering the 6637 filters are 35-60 bucks depending on where you get them from.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
none of local parts stores usually carry those severe duty filters. Have never bought one from ford but im sure for what ford charges you could just put a 6637 on there. Something to think about when your due for a filter considering the 6637 filters are 35-60 bucks depending on where you get them from.

Yeah but an AIS filters better and lasts 1.5-2x as long as a 6637.

I've had both. I prefer the AIS.

Copracr

Reaction score
I checked the filter today and had a heck of a time getting the cover to snap back on. The corrugated robber piece between the AIS cover and the engine wants to put the cover back on at the wrong angle, like it wants to go straight but it needs to turn.

Is this because it's an E99 truck and I need some different tubing piece?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yeah but an AIS filters better and lasts 1.5-2x as long as a 6637.

I've had both. I prefer the AIS.

ive put 100k or so on a single 6637.... know a few guys with more than that on a single 6637....

how does it filter better?

i prefer the Donaldson/6637 over any filter for a 7.3

I checked the filter today and had a heck of a time getting the cover to snap back on. The corrugated robber piece between the AIS cover and the engine wants to put the cover back on at the wrong angle, like it wants to go straight but it needs to turn.

Is this because it's an E99 truck and I need some different tubing piece?

im not 100% sure but that may be just how shtiy those filter housing where.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online