is this normal 5r110 behavior?

MyFirstDiesel

Reaction score
its kind of hard to describe and only does it when the truck is cold (not every time i start it up for the day, but maybe half the time or a little less) the tranny going from 2-3 it will almost feel like itll take a while to shift...the rpm's raise a bit and then it shifts...i wouldnt call it a "hard" shift, it just seems to lag a bit when shifting. here is the best way i can describe it

max rpm's for 2nd gear normal driving....mid shift rpm's raise for second then it gets into third. like i said it is hard to tell and I would like to have this figured out before my ford premium care is up. truck DPF deleted. no other work besides 4" exhaust and s&b intake. I hope someone can help me. thanks a ton

loboost

Reaction score
That's called a shift flare...no its not normal...but is common. A modified solenoid will stop it...but that's just a band aid IMO.

sent while driving recklessly

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
What tune? Ide try reloading your tune. Ive had similar problems like that in the past when I ran H&S tuning and reloading the tune would fix it every time. Its worth a shot, wont cost ya anything!

If you still have the problem, Get a custom tune and ask the turner, or do it yourself, to shorten the total target slip time for that shift and maybe add some line pressure. Again, this could all be bandaid fixes if theres an internal problem..

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
There is a cold / hot shift pattern that uses different gears depending on trans temp. But sounds like you have a flair which would be your direct clutch solenoid going out. If you catch it soon enough a modified solenoid will fix the issue but only if the clutches aren't already toasted.

MyFirstDiesel

Reaction score
it is just a DPF-R o n my truck, nothing powerful. so this is called a "flare"? is it something to worry about and should i take it to ford? what should i tell ford because i am having a hard time describing this to you guys as it is haha

sootie

Reaction score
read the posts above, it IS something to worry about. it is called a shift flare which means the clutches are slipping during the shift itstead of grabbing right away.

Be sure that it is the 2-3 shift because normally it is the 3-5 shift in which you could get a modified direct drive solenoid that will increase line pressure enough to firm up the shift and get rid of the flare.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I thought a flair would push the Rpms way up as if it went into N. Then eventually it would shift. Pretty much like a rev mid way... Mine has kinda hung when cold. Like shift normal and then hang shift but the Rpms would fall some and it would continue to shift normal. It will only do it here and there and when cold normal driving

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I thought a flair would push the Rpms way up as if it went into N. Then eventually it would shift. Pretty much like a rev mid way... Mine has kinda hung when cold. Like shift normal and then hang shift but the Rpms would fall some and it would continue to shift normal. It will only do it here and there and when cold normal driving

Depends on how badly its worn the direct clutch packs.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Ahh. So could mine be the preliminary failure? Truck only has 50k on it... Who knows what it was used for prior to me..

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
/\
I talked to Andy Warren and he said that what I experienced is a shift delay. He said its just lag between the two clutches. Its nothing that will cause an issue. But a shift flare, yeah thats another deal.

MyFirstDiesel

Reaction score
hmmm...in MrOneEyed's post describing how his truck is that seems to be how mine is. it will almost seem like it is in neutral between shifts. is this a flare, or shift delay? only when it is cold it does it.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
If it was a flare it would sound like its free revving or as if were in neutral between shifts. Under normal shifting the rpms should drop down. If they ever rise in between shifts, that's a flare and a problem.

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
As others have said, a modded direct clutch solenoid is only a band aid and if the direct clutches are already burned adding line pressure will speed up the processes of destroying the clutches. I have removed more then a few modded solenoids from 5R110 builds in the last year or so that had some of the worst looking direct clutch packs I've seen, and these were not heavily built trucks, just your basic exhaust and tuner truck.

MyFirstDiesel

Reaction score
Hmmm so what would be the real fix to this? I have ford premium care so all of this should be covered under warranty. It is for sure a flare from what you guys are saying.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
The thing about the upgraded solenoids is to use them before you have the issue, tossing one in after you notice the issue is 9 times out of ten to late to address. Solenoids don't repair burnt/worn clutches and steels, but if you do one before having the issue the less chance of having the flare issue. But keep in mind the 5R110 can only take 550-600 of abuse for so long and then its going to raise the white flag. Also the direct clutch packs in the 5R110 has the least amount of clutches in them.

MyFirstDiesel

Reaction score
my truck has no added power what so ever so i am just unsure why it would be doing this. i guess the previous owner could have had a tuner on it but i am not for sure

loboost

Reaction score
Hmmm so what would be the real fix to this? I have ford premium care so all of this should be covered under warranty. It is for sure a flare from what you guys are saying.

If its intermittent its gonna be tough to convince them Lol

If you're certain they'll fix it...do a few good boosted launches and finish it off...then take it to them Lol

sent while driving recklessly

Latest posts

Members online