Just bought my loaded 6.4L - 600rwhp

B585Ford

Reaction score
Those are all the same brake controller in the last pic. The gain (number) is adjusted with the "+" and "-" button...the higher the number, the more braking by the trailer. The two handles can be squeezed together so that you can apply the brakes without pushing on the brake pedal on the truck. Those are used for checking the brakes and setting up the correct gain.

Stroked777

Reaction score
The one with the screen just makes it easier to tell what you have the gain set at. Fun little fact, if you squeeze them without a trailer on it will make your brake lights come on, without applying the brakes... Good for brake checking and I have gotten a few people LOL

NY_Mott

Reaction score
The one with the screen just makes it easier to tell what you have the gain set at. Fun little fact, if you squeeze them without a trailer on it will make your brake lights come on, without applying the brakes... Good for brake checking and I have gotten a few people LOL

I like the fun fact... This will come in handy. :thumbup:

getstuk

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I just took delivery of the truck, it is exactly what I was hoping for. It feels HEAVY when driving it compared to my old 2004 6500lb F-150 CCSB. This thing is a tank! Brakes are verrrrry mushy, guess that's because I'm trying to stop a little bit of mass compared to my prius :lol: I was pretty excited when I was driving it, it was like old times as soon as I blasted some tunes through the speakers while driving down the highway. But it was when I extended the tow mirrors for some reason that really got me grinning. I've got parts waiting for me at home to install, and some more coming tomorrow. Will update you with anymore news. The truck has the factory subwoofer behind the seat but wow I can't even hear it with the bass turned all the way up. Will have to replace that unless it's got a blown fuse or something. The factory Audiophile 8" sub in the F150 blew this little guy away and kept me happy. All in all, I'm happier than a kitten under a leaky cow!

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
Hey guys, what are the differences in function between these two trailer brake controllers? Apparently I don't have the electronic trailer brake controller, is there much of a difference in operation? If so, has anyone swapped one in?

017_0017.jpg

00f0f_dChm5AfsDcw_600x450.jpg

actually the only difference is your truck is a 2010 the numbers for the brake controller are in the gauge cluster which you will see when u push the + or - button the 2008's had the digital display like the 2005 and up 6.0's did. so its just another nice thing about having a 2010 instead of an 08. i think the 09's have the newer style too not positive.

RSK

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I just took delivery of the truck, it is exactly what I was hoping for. It feels HEAVY when driving it compared to my old 2004 6500lb F-150 CCSB. This thing is a tank! Brakes are verrrrry mushy, guess that's because I'm trying to stop a little bit of mass compared to my prius :lol: I was pretty excited when I was driving it, it was like old times as soon as I blasted some tunes through the speakers while driving down the highway. But it was when I extended the tow mirrors for some reason that really got me grinning. I've got parts waiting for me at home to install, and some more coming tomorrow. Will update you with anymore news. The truck has the factory subwoofer behind the seat but wow I can't even hear it with the bass turned all the way up. Will have to replace that unless it's got a blown fuse or something. The factory Audiophile 8" sub in the F150 blew this little guy away and kept me happy. All in all, I'm happier than a kitten under a leaky cow!

my sub was the same way.... I think trucks with nav didn't have much power going to the sub or something. not sure what was going on with it. I added a Jl stealth box in the center console plenty of bass now and i only have 225 watts going to it and 100 watts going to each door speaker so i have the bass at 0 on my factory nav and it hits hard....my phone which i put in the cup holder on the console will bounce around the cup holder and going in circles from the bass when it hits hard. vibrates the seats, gives a decent back massage. I've heard one at 600 watts which is their limit and it shakes the truck...very impressive for 1 8" sub...

getstuk

Reaction score
RSK I am going to PM you about that setup, thanks for sharing. Sounds exactly what I'm after.

Thanks for the heads up about the controller, I'll test that out. I'd prefer the display by the controller too but hey one less thing to buy either way.

The TPMS light came on today, anyway to shut that off those are annoying? Also I'm hearing a weird surging occasionally, it sounds like it's missing almost. I'm trying to record it on my gopro for you guys, it's intermittent. I have a 3 month 3k mile warranty so I want to figure it out before that lapses. Man this truck is nice, the only complaints are that it doesn't turn for dick, and it has a bouncy ride on the rear end (attribute it to stiff leafs). Wonder if I can improve the turning by adding an extension to a steering arm in some way? Might have to shave some bumpstops, not sure? The F150 turned as good as my prius even on 37's lol

I've mounted the Edge Insight monitor, will have to research the best way to configure the alarms, all default settings at this point. I know I want alerts on EGT's and fuel rail pressure...

Stroked777

Reaction score
I got two 10 pioneer flat mounts I need to get a box for. Had them in my old 6.0 and when I was listening to my metal the people in the car next to me would be looking over and feeling it in their car lol

getstuk

Reaction score
Are you guys using the factory navigation head unit? How do you hook that up to the amp?

Also, I removed the DPF filter yesterday and tuned the truck with the IDP X tune. All I can say is WOW. The sound and the power is incredible. I am getting a code P0488 and P0000. The truck has gone into limp mode a couple times after WOT runs :(

I will be posting some videos I've taken of before / after (0-60, gas mileage before/after), including my friend and I's reaction to the difference. Right now I'm pretty worried about using the tuner because I tuned it initially and could not start the engine (nothing happened). I then returned to stock, still couldn't start it. Re-tuned it to the IDP X tune and it started. Very troubling considering the truck wouldn't start 2 out of the 3 times I tried to tune it. It could leave me stranded next weekend in pismo with a trailer to tow, and now these codes :(

ford141

Reaction score
I remember you from the F150 days also. I had a black 2005 that I bought new back in the day. Traded it on a V10 SD in 2010, and then moved up to my current 6.4 in 2012. Wish I would have kept the V10 or the F150 considering how easy the 6.4s blow up....

Stroked777

Reaction score
6.4 can be awesome and they can be bad. They are hit or miss. Some people ruin a block on a hot tune while some live at over 1000 hp on stock bottom ends. Mines seen some hard drivong and compitition and I have no issues

Cknox121

Reaction score
6.4 can be awesome and they can be bad. They are hit or miss. Some people ruin a block on a hot tune while some live at over 1000 hp on stock bottom ends. Mines seen some hard drivong and compitition and I have no issues

Dare you to take your heads off lol.

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
When my heads come off it will be getting Pistons reguardless. Until then, it runs like a top and I don't need to do exploratory surgery on it LOL

ford141

Reaction score
Mine was out of sight too until I pulled the heads for leaking gaskets. Cracked piston, tweaked valves and bad guides and rockers is what I found. What a nice surprise! Had 107K on it.

getstuk

Reaction score
Figured I'd update this:

Update on truck, it's running well but white smoke is mixed in with the black exhaust smoke at WOT. I did switch from IDP tunes (too smoky for Orange County at WOT) to ******** tunes (why does it asterisk "Geearhead" out, some kind of beef with this forum and them? Are anti-emissions / tuning / deleeting becoming a taboo subject on this forum!?). I'm worried this might be an indication my head gasket has been blown and it is definitely still quite powerful but I'm not sure if it's as powerful as it once was. I rarely drive it sadly. I still have my EGR deleete kit & up-pipe from No Limit sitting in a box, going to sell it on EBay if anyone is interested here. I'm happy with the truck though and glad I got it, I just wish I had some friends out here who went to the desert to play with the UTV's (bought a 2016 RZR XP4 1000).

I installed the JL 12" (JL 12TW3) shallow sub that everyone was raving about (right after my last post) and the sealed box that the guy on this forum makes specialized for our cabs, was never really impressed or happy with the bass and for that cost I thought it'd be pretty nice (I'm no audiophile, and easy to please). Spent probably $900 altogether and it's pretty mild, anyone have any suggestions? I got a cheap ($150) Amazon amp that had great reviews, maybe that's the problem? I'm using the factory head unit FYI. Below is the Amp link, specs are:

500W RMS X 1 (2Ω, 14.4V, ≤1% THD+N)
300W RMS X 1 (4Ω, 14.4V, ≤1% THD+N)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMR7UPS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited: