KC Stage 2 vs Stage 3

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So recently ive gotten the chance to test out a kc stage 3 to see how i like it. I figured i post up kind of a review as i go. Its been installed about a week and has probably 200-250 miles on it so far.

The stage 2 had been on my truck for about 5 months, and i really enjoy it. Highway driving, on a reduced fuel idp xtreme street, at 72 mph, 2000 rpm, i was pulling about 5 psi, and about 750-775 egt. This turbo and injector setup ran 12.681 with some water meth at 106.00. This was on idp xtreme x, idp ficm programmer set on performance. The 2 was slightly laggier than the stock 13 blade turbo, but is very manageable. This turbo also towed awesome, and would only start pulling up to 1300ish when i wasnt paying attention and was doing 50 with the converter locked, nothing the tow haul button didnt fix real quick though.

Now the 3, is about the same change from the 2 in response as the 2 was from stock. Slightly laggier, but very manageable. It may be a little tough going from stock to a 3, but from a 2 to a 3, its not bad at all. Tried taking it down the track, but it wasnt happening that day. First pass didnt spool right off the line, ran a 13.65 at 106.7, so a second slower at 1 mph faster basically. Second run blew the hot side tube and lost the clamp. On the highway, i pull about 3 psi at 72 mph, and see really anywhere from 700-800 degrees. However, on the same reduced fuel street tune, all the smoke is cleaned up, and it seems to pull a hell of a lot harder up top. Havent gotten a chance to tow yet, but will post when i do.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My trailer sticker says 15k, havent actually weighed it to see. Its a 38ft weekend warrior triple axle fifth wheel, so that may be a little light once its loaded.

kwelch08

Reaction score
Sub'd I have a stage 2 and have thought of going to a 3, but I'm on the fence because I pull a 33' fifth wheel from job to job

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes it was, didnt get a chance to weigh it or get a fuel only run. Was trying to compare apples to apples before i started changing stuff. It had about a quarter tank more fuel though too.

Just a guess, but seat of the pants feel, im guessing .3-.5 second quicker with the 3. This is also still on tunes for the stage 2 and 190/30s, i didnt get new ones written for the 3.

Merc82

Reaction score
Look foward to your towing data... Really enjoy the setup, just want a little more. Seems to be a trend here with the 190/30 S2 guys, lol.

Downey

Reaction score
Stage 2 and 190/30 is what I really want. My 5th wheel is about 12k was kinda worried about the egts with pulling hills.

kwelch08

Reaction score
That's exactly what I have my fifth wheel weighs between 13K and 14K just depends what else I have, but I pulled some good size hills going through new Mexico and my temps got up to 1200 when I wasn't paying attention and got under the turbo but a quick push of my tow haul solved that problem.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The stage 2 with the 190/30s tows awesome, but if you get under the turbo like kwelch said , it heats up really quick.

swinky

Reaction score
You're not going to run 12.30s with 190/30s not fuel only at least.

The track times are pretty impressive though. Just a touch slower than my 190/75, s366 combo on fuel.... and I wouldn't be able to tow near as heavy as you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You're not going to run 12.30s with 190/30s not fuel only at least.

The track times are pretty impressive though. Just a touch slower than my 190/75, s366 combo on fuel.... and I wouldn't be able to tow near as heavy as you.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Yeah, i was figuring on it with the water/meth on. Thats how the 12.68 was run.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah sorry man. Im gonna be hitting the track this coming friday, then im just gonna say *** it and hook up my trailer and drive with nowhere in particular to go on saturday. I was gonna go camping last weekend just to test it, but my kid was sick and got in troubke at school so that put a stop to camping. :shrug:

kwelch08

Reaction score
Yeah that'll definitely put a stop to it. I was just messing with ya bud. I'm very interested in this can't seem to ever get hard data and how much weight you can tow with a stage 3.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I figured ya were, was thinking i needed to post something up anyway for everyone who thought i gave up or something as a bunch seem to wanna know too.

I am gonna try and drag the truck/trailer combo over a scale and see what total is at. It will be lighter as im not planning on actually loading it with water and bikes and stuff, but should still be in the 12-13k range, which should be plenty heavy for comparison.

kwelch08

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds good man. My fifth wheel I drag from job to job ranges from 13k to 14k. Honestly I'll probably stick to my stage 2 since it doesn't see the track much, and the temps are awesome towing. I never have to worry with them, and I've pulled some good size hills, but it would be nice to know I could switch if I ever wanted to without the worry of my egts

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I loved towing with the stage 2 as well. This opportunity came up, and in the quest for more power, and a lot of curiosity as to the towing aspect from me and the shop i deal with, it seemed like a good idea.

The 3 doesnt whistle as much as the 2, especially at idle. It is whistley once you start getting into boost, but much quieter which is nice cause it put it back into sleeper mode.

kwelch08

Reaction score
I'm at the start of my quest for power, and have been on the fence, but being this truck pulls mine and my wife's home to the next job, and sometimes that could be 20 hours away I can't take that gamble, but if you are successful I just might haha.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.