Keep blowing holes in cac boot

Bigred91

Reaction score
My buddy has a 08 6.4 with egr and dpf delete and custom tunes. With about 120k on it. It has leaking uppipes at the right now, but about a week ago he was driving the truck and he was pretty heavy on the throttle and ended up hearing a loud bang and he had blown a hole in the lower cac boot, they were the factory boots and were dry rotted so we figured it happened from being old and dry rotted so he ordered all new boots from bd diesel and just called me and said the same thing happens to his new lower boot and the top boot on the driver side popped off.

So it's seeming like he's building too much boost pressure to me, I don't see how since his up pipes are leaking. But i don't know much about the 6.4 or if that's a common thing with them.

He's also puking coolant now too so I'm sure his head gaskets are done for too. But I don't see that causing a cac boot failure. Any input is appreciated as to what could cause this.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Did he line the groove up with the boot on top and bottom with the hotside pipe? If not that will blow them easily. Also if he has not done a crank case vent re-route and didnt clean the boots, turbo hot side pipe and intercooler then that will blow them.
The only time I have blown a hole in the middle of the boot is using the cheap silicone ones. I have seen ones that look like they are blowing from the clamps being too tight and causing a weak spot and then the tear starts at the clamp.

Bigred91

Reaction score
I will have to check with him about that, and we are in the process of making a ccv reroute for it at the moment cause I know he needs it, I'm thinking it ripped the new one because the top boot blew off and moved the pipe so much that it ripped the bottom one so we're gonna clean the pipes and intercooler and do a ccv rerout

Bigred91

Reaction score
He said it has been throwing a code for something to do with the turbo not sure what thougj. I will check back with him.

Latest posts

Members online