Kingpin Dana 60 swap help needed

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Kingpin Dana 60 swap help needed. Any one done this swap? I have a late '99. I'm doing more off road upgrades. Got ARB air lockers and new gears ordered. Got to thinking about swapping the Dana 50 out for a kingpin 60. What year truck does one get a kingpin Dana 60 from, that will fit on a '99 F-250? Are brakes similar? I have new rotors and calipers I'd hate to waist. What is a fair price for such a unit? It would be getting new bearings, seals, gears, and an ARB. I would really love to do this swap, but haven't had much luck searching the topic.

Any tips?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
kp 60s are an 87-91 f350 i dont think its a direct bolt in for your 99 on top of that wrong lug pattern and no way to change it that i know of without junk adapters a ball joint 60 out of a sd will handle anything you can throw at it really and it would be direct swap

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Have to rethink this... heard great things about kingpin axles, sad to hear too old to have the new bolt pattern. Super Duty D60 came out in '03 if I have read right?

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
nope sd 60s were in the 350s before 03 i may be wrong but im sure someone will corect me what you might have read is the year 60s started going in the 250s

JSchuricht

Reaction score
IIRC it was 01 when the D60 started to show up on SRW trucks. DRW trucks have the 60. 05+ is coil sprung and a nice upgrade but you won't be able to reuse your existing brakes. Also grab the front drive shaft if the donor truck has teh same trans, the D60 shaft is slightly shorter.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Now I just have to research the cost and decide if it will be worth it to do the swap. After talking it over with the budget committee (wife) If I do the swap, I will have to delay my front ARB. (already on order, different for the D60 anyhow) I'm kinda impatient and won't be doing anything too stressful like snow plowing, or rock climbing.

Decisions, decisions... I need to win the lotto.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
My intended use will be to explore and camp out in this beautiful country (expedition style) in places like Moab Utah, The Badlands National park, etc... I will be in the back country, but not hitting the real rough, tight trails. Opinions on if the D50 should hold up? It has so far, here in Indiana at The Badlands Off Road Park, in Attica. (I haven't tried the tight tree and rock damage trails... yet)

oneton

Reaction score
dually f350 99+ have 60's.f250/f350 single wheel trucks got 60's in 02.i have seen some late 01's with 60's and some early 02's with 50's.

some say the only weakness in the sd front is the unit bearings.for some things prolly is.if your that worried,install a free spin kit.it uses serviceable bearing and race wheel bearings like the pre sd axles

kp 60 usually run 1k+,and thats not including any new parts(bearings,seals,brakes,etc)

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Iirc the track or wms to wms is skinny on the older trucks. The superdutys look a bit wider to me. The difference iirc between the 50 and the 60 is the r&p size. It is not uncommon to see axles as a set got for 400-500 bucks for front and rear so cost isn't incredibly high if you can find them. Then just sell your front and the rear and recoup most if not all the initial cost.

rascal

Reaction score
My 2000 F350 SRW has a D50. I am planing to find a D60 from an '03 or '04. I already have a Dynatrac free spin hub kit and ball joint kit so I want to do a straight axle swap.

I thought I read the D60 started showing up in mid '02 but I could be wrong.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online