Ladies and gentlemen.....SXLCHOCLAT

Dzchey21

Reaction score
How so ?
It's my understanding that the regen process on the 6.7 doesn't add fuel into oil as the 6.4 did

Your right fuel dilution is down a great amount from 6.4s... the injectors are much more advanced and do a much better job of delivering the fuel where it needs to be in the exhaust

it's the exact same regen process, so...

Disagree with part of this, Its not exactly the same. Once you add in An SCR you have effectivily changed the entire process. Since NOX is no longer controlled as much by egr you are allowed to run a higher combustion temperature (which is why EGR is there To lower the combustion temp to lower NOx) THe higher temperatures allow for more ash and soot burn off in a natural "passive" regen state. This requires less fuel to be injected into the engine to do a regen.

Well that and the EGR system gums everything up just like every other EGR system on a diesel.

I agree and dissagree at the same time. With the addition of SCR and urea egr usage is reduced by 80%, HINCE the reason the egr cooler is now smaller because there is less going into the engine. These engines have proven to go over 350k miles in bone stock form with very little issues.

Meh. Thats debatable. The emissions system on the 6.7 is much more refined than its predecessor. While I agree it's not ideal and can be messy, it's hardly fatal anymore.

Sending your packages this week, Gerry :D

I can't beleive i am saying this but i agree with you..

FORD spent a ton of money to refine this process to help save the engines. Fuel economy is better, HP is up, EGR usage is down NOx is down, and regen time and frequency is down. Win win for people who cant tune or don't want to tune and really all around for anyone. I wouldnt be scared to own a DPF on truck for the long haul. Only thing that sucks is when a sensor goes down it pretty much limps you.

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
Dustin, how does the egr lower combustion temps? Clearly my understanding of system is lacking somewhere.

But because of the aforementioned points, the only reason I'd delete a 6.7 is because I like loud noises and because I can't stand that tip(and filter backs are a waste)

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Dustin, how does the egr lower combustion temps? Clearly my understanding of system is lacking somewhere.

But because of the aforementioned points, the only reason I'd delete a 6.7 is because I like loud noises and because I can't stand that tip(and filter backs are a waste)

the whole point of adding EGR is to add an inert gas to the combustion chamber which lowers combustion temperature, which lowers NOx.

CAT actually had a great idea on the 2007 truck engines by taking gas after the dpf and putting it into the intake system. CGI is what it was called. Clean gas induction that does the same job. Bad part about that is the amount of piping needed to make that happen just isnt realistic on a pick up, and hard to keep leak free.

Reaction score
the whole point of adding EGR is to add an inert gas to the combustion chamber which lowers combustion temperature, which lowers NOx.

CAT actually had a great idea on the 2007 truck engines by taking gas after the dpf and putting it into the intake system. CGI is what it was called. Clean gas induction that does the same job. Bad part about that is the amount of piping needed to make that happen just isnt realistic on a pick up, and hard to keep leak free.

And let's not forget the moisture... Other than that it's by far a stellar idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Disagree with part of this, Its not exactly the same. Once you add in An SCR you have effectivily changed the entire process. Since NOX is no longer controlled as much by egr you are allowed to run a higher combustion temperature (which is why EGR is there To lower the combustion temp to lower NOx) THe higher temperatures allow for more ash and soot burn off in a natural "passive" regen state. This requires less fuel to be injected into the engine to do a regen.

It's the same in that it's injecting late fuel to get heat up enough to clean the soot.

It may not happen as often, but it happens.

If you had a 6.4 that constantly pulled a moderate size trailer constantly down the highway and a 6.7 that idled 8hrs a day, the 6.7 would put more fuel in the oil than the 6.4.

all things equal, yes the 6.4 will tend to get more fuel in the oil than the 6.7

but I'll split hairs on the statement that it's because of the regen process :D

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It's the same in that it's injecting late fuel to get heat up enough to clean the soot.

It may not happen as often, but it happens.

If you had a 6.4 that constantly pulled a moderate size trailer constantly down the highway and a 6.7 that idled 8hrs a day, the 6.7 would put more fuel in the oil than the 6.4.

all things equal, yes the 6.4 will tend to get more fuel in the oil than the 6.7

but I'll split hairs on the statement that it's because of the regen process :D
The thing is I have yet to see a 6.7 oil sample come back with fuel dilution. We have a whole fleet of them here and the oil doesn't get changed untill the reminder on the dash says to. So even tho the theory is the same the actual result is little to no dillution

Dzchey21

Reaction score
And let's not forget the moisture... Other than that it's by far a stellar idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had heard rumors before that they were going to come out with a urea brick that was installed the exhaust. Change it at each service. No liquids to deal with no pumps or injectors pretty simple. But I think that has faded

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
The thing is I have yet to see a 6.7 oil sample come back with fuel dilution. We have a whole fleet of them here and the oil doesn't get changed untill the reminder on the dash says to. So even tho the theory is the same the actual result is little to no dillution

I wonder if it has to do with piston bowl, rings, or the difference in active regen strategy (less stationary regen, etc)

good info

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I agree and dissagree at the same time. With the addition of SCR and urea egr usage is reduced by 80%, HINCE the reason the egr cooler is now smaller because there is less going into the engine. These engines have proven to go over 350k miles in bone stock form with very little issues.

Its better than previous designs yes, but still over time its going to gum up. They all do, oil + soot = gunk. I'm not oppose to cleaner diesels, I'm not a fan of the current means of achieving it though.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
People dislike what they dont understand. I know even for myself I thought oh great look at all this extra stuff they added. But then after hearing the reasons why I look back and say wtf were they thinking trying to use egr only to clean up NOx? That seams like a good way to dust an engine on its own.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
People dislike what they dont understand. I know even for myself I thought oh great look at all this extra stuff they added. But then after hearing the reasons why I look back and say wtf were they thinking trying to use egr only to clean up NOx? That seams like a good way to dust an engine on its own.

Carbon is less abrasive than wet fuel hanging on the cylinder walls. SCR and urea is worthless below 600*F for a proper change I'm state to ammonia to attach itself to the nitric oxides and dioxides. For a scr/dpf/doc to function properly it's best to always be above 600 and that is just the tip in point. Ideally 750+ is great to maintain a very clean system.

Since you work for caterpillar I can give you the product number for an excellent read on EGR/SCR/DPF. IF your interested when I get off vacation. You can find it yourself if you have permissions granted to all cat websites. Engines.cat. (whatever the replacement is for it now) can be found in the search function for literature.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Really good info here about the new regen processes... Also, badass truck Gare. Never seen that color before. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Just an update. I have just been piling up parts and getting ready to do cosmetic mods all at one time.

So far I have:
New door handles- to be ptm
New mirror caps- to be ptm
New tailgate handle - to be ptm
New Grille shell - to be ptm
New bed side pads
New tailgate pads
New 2wd valance
Amp Steps
22x10 American Force Vectors- with ptm plates

Ordered:
5.5" Icon/PMF lift
6" PMF Traction block/bar setup
PMF 3 link adjustable arms
PMF dual steering stab kit with Fox 2.0s
Fox 2.0 Reservoirs for front and regular 2.0s for the rear.
37x13.50 Toyo Mts

As said, Jason is doing everything at once. Having the tailgate repainted to take care of some scratches as well as the front bumper. Hes doing my headlights at the same time.

Should get started in the next few weeks.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I did add these though. My kids picked them out. ;)

f41ee4621e8402314388ff2c298fbc40.jpg

8a37e79b6c60ae4b3535a61ae7945a8e.jpg

Here's a shot of the wheels minus the kodiak brown faceplates:

2df93439c8ad169d6ec5e5d3a39878a0.jpg