Lockers

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So i got angry in traffic last night and ended up wailing on it from a stop, turbo lit and she jumped right to 3500 RPM with a lil tire talk. Problem is this morning on the way home i only see one patch on the road. Im guessing the limited slip diff is just that, limited.

So guys with locked rears what are you running and how do you like it?
Im thinking a true track but i rly dont know whats what on locking these big axles. I do know i dont wanna drop the coin on a ARB or similar set up. I installed an aussie lunchbox in my old jeep and liked it but i dont wanna cheap out that much on the truck.

TheReelMuhcoy

Reaction score
This should be interesting... I've haven't heard of anyone on here running lockers on their 250/350. I don't think its worth it just to have matching rooster tails either, unless maybe guys are using them for sled pulling?

java

Reaction score
I'm running a true trac and love it! You can tow just fine and it will always spin both tires in the mud or during a burnout.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
Detroit or tru trac is the way to go. My friend had a Detroit in his 350 that he towed with most of the time and it worked great. I've heard better and the tru trac though.

Garrett

Bigred91

Reaction score
Almost every truck around here with limited slip has the problem of beig a one legged dog, many times I have seen people just do a diff service with the limited slip addictive and it started workig again. Just a though before you spend a grand or more on a locker

dsberman94

Reaction score
Detroit no slip. Had a big discussion about this a while back between the true trac and Detroit no slip. Involved actually sending emails to the companies to see how they each worked differently from the other. True trac needs to have some sort of traction to both wheels to work. Whether done by using your breaks or by the slight amount of traction you would have on ice. But if you have one wheel in the air, it will only spin that wheel unless you apply some braking. The no slip is closer to a locker than the true trac. However it does still unlock to go around corners on the street, saving your tires. With one wheel in the air it will still apply power to both wheels. I'll be going noslip when it comes to that point.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
You learn something new everyday. What are the benefits to running a locker for street driving?

Besides all the reasons why Ford put a limited slip in from the factory i like the predictability of a locked rear diff. Basically instead of it surprising you when it kicks out in slippery conditions half the time it will kick out every time.

And of course much better traction in all conditions. Like when your t case motor takes a shyt on your way home in a snowstorm at least youd have a fightin chance of making it home with no 4x. Lol

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Besides all the reasons why Ford put a limited slip in from the factory i like the predictability of a locked rear diff. Basically instead of it surprising you when it kicks out in slippery conditions half the time it will kick out every time.

And of course much better traction in all conditions. Like when your t case motor takes a shyt on your way home in a snowstorm at least youd have a fightin chance of making it home with no 4x. Lol

This can be a good and bad thing... I have a detroit locker in my truck. Been there for about a year. Street manners are pretty nice for a locker. If I had to do it again I would go with a truetrac for sure. The locker can get sketchy in really bad conditions. I had a couple close calls this winter that probably wouldn't have happened with a less aggressive rear

Demon

Reaction score
True Trac for sure. Had one In the D80 rear of my old dodge. And now have one in the D110 in my superduty.

We get asshole winter here in northern Alberta. They just work. If both tires are on the ground. They power up. Ice gone out of my way to test them on different surfaces. With tires straddling different things. They just work. I'll choose a true Trac every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
This can be a good and bad thing... I have a detroit locker in my truck. Been there for about a year. Street manners are pretty nice for a locker. If I had to do it again I would go with a truetrac for sure. The locker can get sketchy in really bad conditions. I had a couple close calls this winter that probably wouldn't have happened with a less aggressive rear

This is why im thinking true track. I had a ratcheting locker in my old jeep wheeler rig and altho it would almost climb walls (literally) it was downright hornery even on wet pavement in 2x. I rly like that you know its going to break traction every time on snow and ice covered pavement but i dont know how a full lock would act with these nose heavy trucks. My guess is on ice your screwed without 4x4 with a full locker, like tap the throttle and go nowhere type screwed. Lol

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
This is why im thinking true track. I had a ratcheting locker in my old jeep wheeler rig and altho it would almost climb walls (literally) it was downright hornery even on wet pavement in 2x. I rly like that you know its going to break traction every time on snow and ice covered pavement but i dont know how a full lock would act with these nose heavy trucks. My guess is on ice your screwed without 4x4 with a full locker, like tap the throttle and go nowhere type screwed. Lol

Tap the throttle and watch the ass end of the truck pass the front... It's no fun especially in a big power truck

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Tap the throttle and watch the ass end of the truck pass the front... It's no fun especially in a big power truck

Im sure its the same as in a "small" HP jeep. Its about knowing how the rig is going to respond as opposed to not. Throttle control isn't a problem at that point. ;)

I could be wrong tho and usually am. Lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online