Long or No start

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
This all happened after I let the truck sit for nearly a week. Got in it one morning was about 35 truck fired right up, go to work and it sits 10 hours. Come back out and it won't start. Takes about 7 tries and it finally fires. Runs fine but plenty if white smoke on startup. Now this is happening every time whether it's warm out of not. You can start it and drive and shut it off for 20 minutes come back out and it will fire right back up without hesitation.

Batteries were 6 years old so I put two new interstates in there today and no change. Had the good open and when trying to start I'm getting white smoke that looks like it's coming from the valley. Don't see any signs of leaking uppipes so I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Checked the hpop and it's about 1/2 from the threads. Oil is newer and is full on the stick

Not sure where to start guys. Thank you

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Just let the truck sit for about 45 minutes. Come back out and fires right off. Really confused now.

mandkole

Reaction score
that, and ICP/DC% while cranking? Any codes? Id suggest answering all of the basic questions then we'll all have something to work on. The next time it doesn't want to start after the first couple cranks, turn the key off and hit it again. This is where the scan gauge has really helped me.

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I don't have AE or anything to watch my icp or anything so I'm somewhat blind here. Voltage is constant at an idle. These past few days it's been firing up as normal when 35 out and not plugged in. fires right up just a little bit of smoke for about 15 seconds then it clears up. There was no smoke previously but this is the only time it's really been cold and I havnt been plugging in due to my electric bill going up.

mandkole

Reaction score
Good that its starting normal .. sometimes theres no explaining these random issues. I think we've all had some random weird behavior from these things...

cbf9703

Reaction score
When you say firing up normal, does that include a hot re-start?

Have you tried a new IPR?

This brings me back a few years back when I had an HPOP issue. Truck would start okay cold with a little smoke, but would not re-start 90% of the time hot. I had to plan when to shut it off until I could get it fixed. If it's still an issue starting with hot oil, can you rule out leaking injector o-rings or worn poppet valves?

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
It starts up even better when hot. Barely have to hit the key once it's fully warm.

As for this weird issue I'm glad it's gone but I'm worried it may pop up again. Atleast it will fire up if it does this just takes some prodding. This truck is my money maker in the winter so I can have her go down!!!

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Well very long crank, hard to try about 4 times before it lit off. Although it is about 20 out and didn't plug in before I had to go to work. Hope it's not repeating this issue will have to see after it sits 8 hours at work in the cold

Latest posts

Members online