Long Start/Oil Pressure

lx_2nv

Reaction score
Morning Guys -

My 04 Excursion is having a long start issue. It literally takes 30-60 seconds of cranking to get it to start. Or, it'll start quickly then shut right off. Once running it is fine. However, once it is up to temps it will lose oil pressure at idle (stop lights etc). I know it is most likely the LPOP, but is there chance it's a bad sensor?

Thanks in advance - I didn't search this.

lx_2nv

Reaction score
The HPOP was checked in August when it was studded. They said it looked good, but it did need a new IPR. I was hoping it was the ball as well though!

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
If it was in my shop I would pull the oil filter and see if the LPO pump is pushing a good amount of oil. If it is then I would pull the HPOP.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Is it worse when hot? Ive ran into a few that had leaks at the oil rail into injector orings that had real close to the same issue. Id check for HPO leaks under the valve covers first.

lx_2nv

Reaction score
If its pushing good oil it's the HPOP

Well I guess that's better than the LPOP - at least from a labor standpoint?

Is it worse when hot? Ive ran into a few that had leaks at the oil rail into injector orings that had real close to the same issue. Id check for HPO leaks under the valve covers first.

It'll lose pressure once it is hot. Only at idle. As soon as I tap the gas it is all good - and runs like a champ otherwise.

I'm looking to sell the truck and want to fix any issues.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing, it was the ball in the side of the HPOP. Tapped it for 1/4" npt pipe plug (iirc), all is well and it will never come out again. Just out time.

*Remember our oil pressure gauge is a idiot indicator, it registers normal at anything over (iirc) 8psi*

lx_2nv

Reaction score
Haven't had much time to mess with the truck - but could old/dead batteries have an effect? They are only reading like 7 volts when I try to start.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.