Looks like Head Studs after all... What else should I do?

08Stroke

Reaction score
Well I only want to yank this cab once. The truck is going to be used as a DD, some short distance trailer pulling and the occasional long haul with a trailer (>1k one way). With that being said, power goals are around 600ish but I mainly want reliability. I occasionally hit the dragstrip maybe once or twice a year. I'm not "easy" on the truck day to day either but I don't beat the crap out of it either. 84k miles on the truck now. Mods include 4" turbo back, S&B, EGR delete, flo pro intake elbow (will be changed out for No Limit pieces), H&S mini maxx.

So on to my question; what else would you guys suggest for reliability and longgevity? OEM gaskets obviously. Also going back with a new OEM oil cooler. What other parts should I consider adding to the list? The budget is kind of tight but I don't want to have to lift the cab again later down the road. Basically i would like to get all of the weaknesses taken care of now if budget allows. What would you guys do?

Stroked777

Reaction score
If your looking for 600ish hp I would do a 71mm atmo turbo. A lot of people run them for towing too because of good drop in egts. Just that atmo alone should put you pretty close to that goal. They are a bargain too for right around $1300

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
I would at least do the rockers and lifters. I would do a light upgrade to springs and pushrods so that you don't have to worry about floating a valve from high EBPs and don't have to do a WG. Turbo selection will be a factor on your EBPs when at the track or WOT. I agree that a 71 to 73 atmo would be a good choice. I would also do a 6.0 exhaust manny and stronger up pipes. If your budget permits, a LP system upgrade would be a nice addition. Since reliability is goal, I lean towards either Morgan's Fuel Lab kit or Marty's A-1000 kit. The final thing (if you are trying to keep from removing the cab again) is to consider replacing the HPFP. You didn't comment on the health of yours, but they do eventually get weak. At $1000, it can be hard to justify replacing a healthy pump for a reman that seems to be prone to leaking, but if there is any question about the health of your current one, I would strongly consider it. At one time, I planned to only pull the cab once, but mine is off right now getting a "new" HPFP...the good news is that it gave me an excuse to do a few more mods.

Latest posts

Members online