lost oil pressure and motor has knock

vinniehobart

Reaction score
I was cruising down the road in my 94.5 f250 with 260k and I started to hear a faint ticking noise. I went about another 1/8 of a mile and got to the stop sign and when i took off it turned into knocking and thats when i realized something is wrong. I pulled into the gas station that was on that corner(50ft from stop sign) and shut my truck off. I also noticed when the knocking got bad i had no oil pressure. My oil was full and my coolant was good. I had to start it up really quick and load it on a friends gooseneck and there is sits in the yard. Im going to bring it up here to school and pull the motor but where do y'all think i need to start looking. Im going to look at lpop first and go from there.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'd def start w/ lpop.... although if its already got a knock, its ****ed man.

Charles

Reaction score
It's a powerstroke??? Heui motor???

Then you almost certainly don't have a bottom end issue due to loss of oil, and the "knock" is almost certainly just your injection system trying to fire while being full of air. It will sound like hammered ass.

I wouldn't just go and pull the motor for fun until I figured out why my lube oil pump took a dive.

Hell, what if all you did was blow out the hpop? I've had a hpop blow out and it killed my lube oil pressure.

If you've never seen the lube oil pressure gauge drop down at idle before, and it just all of a sudden lost lube oil, while it's possible that you spun a bearing or something, it's not likely on a 7.3.

I would be examining the lube oil circuit for something bypassing oil.

Hopefully a piece of trash didn't score the front cover.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
while it's possible that you spun a bearing or something, it's not likely on a 7.3.

Agreed... but weird things happen.

Are you saying that a dead hpop can cause that hammering sound that resembles a knock?

Charles

Reaction score
Agreed... but weird things happen.

Are you saying that a dead hpop can cause that hammering sound that resembles a knock?

Knocking would most likely either be an actual knock if he did in fact kill the bottom end, or from the injectors hammering away full of air.

A 7.3 will sound like hammered ass when the hpop loses prime, or has to operate without inlet pressure. No axial piston pump wants to do that anyway.

I was merely suggesting that a few things other than a bearing issue could cause a loss of lube oil. Scored front cover, broken regulator, blown hpop, believe it or not a clogged oil cooler sometimes, among other things.

And you may have a cracked pickup tube.

Or.... you could have a bottom end problem.

Last edited:

vinniehobart

Reaction score
ya i doubt my bottom end is bad...truck ran just normal and i baby the heck out of her so i think my hpop or something went bad..i do have stage 2 injectors and a 6 position chip..i may have overworked the oil system i guess

vinniehobart

Reaction score
I decided to just pull the motor regardless...fix a lil oil leak and put a new clutch in..i bought a 04 6.0 for super cheap and will be driving that until the ole girl is fixed

Latest posts

Members online