major steering issues

97strokerHD

Reaction score
i have a 97 ford f250HD 4x4. i just replaced the steering gear box, the power steering pump, and also put on a new adjustable panhard bar with drop bracket. before i did all this, my wheel would turn real smooth to the right and would feel like it was dragging when turned to the left and bind up a little sometimes. after all this and an alignment now the wheel is more centered but it drags when turned both ways and binds up a lot. i started researching and came across a few threads about the steering column bearings going bad. i took the bottom plastic cover off of the column and there was a bunch of shiny metal flakes sitting in it. i also used a flashlight to look at what i believe to be the upper bearing and and it looked like the outer race was cracked and coming apart. i also still need to replace the front axle shaft u-joints and ball joints since they have to come apart anyway. was thinking of picking up a junkyard column, swapping it in, and then rebuilding the one that i have for when i need it. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

97strokerHD

Reaction score
definitely a possibility. as soon as i get the chance to i am going to jack the front end up, disconnect the drag link, and see how hard it is turn the tires by hand. still thinking i should either replace or rebuild the column though.

97strokerHD

Reaction score
I checked everything and it is definitely my column. It binds and grinds when I turn. I can move the steering wheel about a 1/4" up and down as well as side to side. My column is tilt, cruise, and airbag. I have a chance to get one from a 95 f250 that is the same except for no cruise. Does anyone know if this will be plug and play or will I have to change plugs?

97strokerHD

Reaction score
i just got a column out of a 94 f150. does anyone know if the plugs will be the same as my 97 f250? It looks like on the 94 column the airbag wiring is 2 separate plugs apart from the main plug.

Latest posts

Members online