Manifolds and up-pipes

6.4f350

Reaction score
Well, I have to say, if you can avoid doing it, avoid doing it. It absolutely sucks. Haha

I have no doubt. I leave the uppipes on when I pull the heads because they are too much of a pain in the ass to take off even at that point with everything else gone out of the bay. I can't imagine changing them without either the heads or the cab off.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I have no doubt. I leave the uppipes on when I pull the heads because they are too much of a pain in the ass to take off even at that point with everything else gone out of the bay. I can't imagine changing them without either the heads or the cab off.

Beer. ... lots of beer!

ckrueg

Reaction score
It sounds bad enough I almost would rather lift the cab and while I'm at it throw studs, 72mm and maybe an intake manifold on it. Just gotta find a safe way to lift a cab with a tractor haha. I'm thinking maybe tow straps under the cab with a spreader above it. How much does a super cab weigh?

f350guy

Reaction score
Will 6.0 manifolds with corresponding uppipes drop EGTs at all or decrease back pressure? Add any power? I have tried searching and not really found any detail on that aspect (possibly I just suck at searching :) ), simply the reliability end.

Thanks!

08Monster

Reaction score
Will 6.0 manifolds with corresponding uppipes drop EGTs at all or decrease back pressure? Add any power? I have tried searching and not really found any detail on that aspect (possibly I just suck at searching :) ), simply the reliability end.

Thanks!
I was wondering this too. I got em now, so I guess I'll found out. Haha EGTs were crazy before (all 3 uppipes had leaking bellows) so I assume I'll see a drastic drop just for that reason. More drive pressure to the turbo, more boost, more cool!

f350guy

Reaction score
Cool deal! I am ready for the results when in. I just run GH Hot Street so I am probably not as hot as most guys on here.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
It will be hard to find anyone that just did 6.0 manifolds and uppipes on stock turbos.
Usually other things are done at the same time, turbos, intake, etc.
I did turbos, intercooler piping, heads, studs, etc.
My boost is lower cruising and pulling the fiver compared to the stock chargers

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I can tell you the passenger side manifold is hard enough to do with the cab out of the way if you have large hand/arms. The factory 6.0 manifolds offer a little more room, however the BD ones are beefy and leave little room to get your hand in the bottom side of the passenger manifold for the bolts. Something else I've seen on some of the 6.4's I've done the BD manifolds on, the AC line extension seems to work on some and not on others. I've had a few that have had different AC accumulators on them, and with the provided AC line extension you would get a kink in the line. I've had to run the lines behind and or in front of the accumulator ( depending on truck ) to get the kink out of the line along with tweaking the accumulator outlet line to get it in the right position. And others I couldn't use it at all and ended up having to insulate the line and tweak it slightly away from the manifold for clearance. Just some tips for the DIY guys.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
My AC line I had to put on backwards and twist the fittings on each end. The straight part on the compressor.
The other way put the line directly under the manifold and against the frame.

6.4f350

Reaction score
I'm putting BD manifolds and uppipes on mine when it goes back together. Will be on stock turbos. Of course it's also getting coated pistons and a cam so any before/after is going to be useless data. I doubt you'll find anyone that's upgrading just manifolds and uppipes without doing other semi-major work.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I want to do bd manifolds but do up pipes with an egr/wastegate provision pipe in case ebp is to high or for when in do a dual fuel build in the future

DWhite

Reaction score
I'm putting BD manifolds and uppipes on mine when it goes back together. Will be on stock turbos. Of course it's also getting coated pistons and a cam so any before/after is going to be useless data. I doubt you'll find anyone that's upgrading just manifolds and uppipes without doing other semi-major work.

Well stop doubting.
I did the BD Kit when I did Headstuds and that was all the mods I added at that time.

08Monster

Reaction score
With that being said, it has a very noticeable change in spool up. Much more responsive?

DWhite

Reaction score
Its hard to say. It felt like it did to me but i would say if it did it was a slight improvement. Seems like I noticed a slight drop in egts while driving 70 to 75. Used to run about 650-700 on 70 ish degree days and after it was 610-625 with identical condtions. I also noticed more of a 6.0 growl at wot.

08Monster

Reaction score
Its hard to say. It felt like it did to me but i would say if it did it was a slight improvement. Seems like I noticed a slight drop in egts while driving 70 to 75. Used to run about 650-700 on 70 ish degree days and after it was 610-625 with identical condtions. I also noticed more of a 6.0 growl at wot.
I still cruise at 1050°, no change for me. God damn hot little single..

6.4f350

Reaction score
With that being said, it has a very noticeable change in spool up. Much more responsive?

That's what I've heard from someone else I know that installed them, they told me it was night and day. Of course I'll have no idea because my truck has been torn apart for 5 months at this point and by the time it's back together I won't even remember how it drove before.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Doing BDs right now... This does suck cab on. I forsee bitching from the wife about using her car for a few days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online