Manley I Beam Pro Series 4340 Connecting Rods PN#14161-8

V-Ref

Reaction score
http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/2012/rods.pdf

Page 18 in the above attachment. Anyone running these? Any 7.3 experts see any reason why a build that will never see NOS, "excessive/aggressive" timing/tuning, or anything bigger than a 200% nozzle, ought not consider these?

Blowby, Powersmoker, others have proven Carrillo/Crowers/Hypermax to huge numbers for our old trucks...but what if a fella didnt want to drive a NASA engineered vehicle that made those numbers..."just" an honest 200% nozzle truck capable of seeing the full power potential of that nozzle. Why not these? Any one have experience with 'em?

Nomex is on.... bring it!:gun:

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
http://www.manleyperformance.com/dl/2012/rods.pdf

Page 18 in the above attachment. Anyone running these? Any 7.3 experts see any reason why a build that will never see NOS, "excessive/aggressive" timing/tuning, or anything bigger than a 200% nozzle, ought not consider these?

Blowby, Powersmoker, others have proven Carrillo/Crowers/Hypermax to huge numbers for our old trucks...but what if a fella didnt want to drive a NASA engineered vehicle that made those numbers..."just" an honest 650 hp capable 200% nozzle truck. Why not these? Any one have experience with 'em?

Nomex is on.... bring it!:gun:

Ive no.issue with your choice of conn rods. I dont readily believe that you'll extract that level of rwhp out.of a 200 over edm.nozzle.though. You'd have to.really build an efficient motor to allow all of that fuel burnt.energy to translate to true, high.hp like that.

Id say.550-580 hp.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Original post edited to avoid a nozzle/power potential debate. Anyone running them or knows somebody who is....Thanks.

Im sorry. I should.have looked.past that buuuuuuuuut it was there so I commented.

TARM

Reaction score
Ive no.issue with your choice of conn rods. I dont readily believe that you'll extract that level of rwhp out.of a 200 over edm.nozzle.though. You'd have to.really build an efficient motor to allow all of that fuel burnt.energy to translate to true, high.hp like that.

Id say.550-580 hp.

Is the above your estimate for max power from a hybrid using a 200% nozzle, fuel only? 550-580? If so then I would have to say you are off by a good bit.

Right now there are medium sized single turbos pulling 20-50 HP more than that out of basic build 200% hybrids and basic tunes(as in not live tuned). If you actually could max one out with everything dialed in along with compounds I think 700 would be the max HP; so say 650-700 then.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Tycorr, no prob! It probably shouldnt have been in there in the 1st place.

I put a number out there to establish a reference that 99% of our trucks won't see...and solicit feedback on the use of this rod for the "intermediate" build vs the 700+ hp builds that are for the very few.

So guys...let's disregard the nozzle vs hp part....let's say this rod is for the fella that once to make a 11 second quarter...make 650-700 hp with his favorite nozzle/power added of choice, and call it good. No trying to run with the big dogs so to say...

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is the above your estimate for max power from a hybrid using a 200% nozzle, fuel only? 550-580? If so then I would have to say you are off by a good bit.

Right now there are medium sized single turbos pulling 20-50 HP more than that out of basic build 200% hybrids and basic tunes(as in not live tuned). If you actually could max one out with everything dialed in along with compounds I think 700 would be the max HP; so say 650-700 then.

Who is doing that on a dyno? A big inj with a smaller nozzle(like 200% nozzles are.small) may make more than that. 700 on 200% nozzles? Show me one.

The guys making numbers like that are running 400/400's and also using nitrous. If I.missed something this.big, please catch me up!

Last edited:

Big Bore

Reaction score
Ok where is a pricing sheet on those? Considering we are seeing engines dyno over 700 on stock forged rod motors, and these are in that mid price range ($1K) everyone's been wanting, I'm in.

TARM

Reaction score
TO your question:

I think they would work just fine.

My reasoning is the issue we tend to have with rods letting loose many times has more to do with the fasteners not the rods themselves. When it is the rod and you look at mass produced rods you have to take into account the impurities in the alloy, the quality and attention paid to the heat treating process. Not to mention the basic rod prep such as polishing etc..

These rods are using 300m which is a much stronger and tougher alloy than 4340. Even non-china 4340 is about 20% weaker. One thing I have seen stated time and time again when rods tech comes up is that any of the typical aftermarket rods are stronger than block etc and other core parts so I think its reasonable to see that a these rods would likely hold to just about any reasonable street level power. I say this with the understanding of how tuning and injector tech has advanced. No longer are we dumping tons of fuel at low rpms with CP going thru the roof. Now its about stretching those RPMs and then taking TQ up to reach your HP goal.

The question is how much is the cost saving by going with a rod such as these?

TARM

Reaction score
yea, I agree. Shoot me a pm if you'd like and have the time Tarm.

Be glad to as soon as I clear mine out as I have max'd out. These forum has the storage limit lower than PSN. I am constantly maxing out monthly.

TARM

Reaction score
Scratch what I said about them being 300M I was reading the wrong spec. But I think everything else still applies. Much more attention and prep is done IMO as well as design changes to strengthen certain areas plus the better hardware.

TARM

Reaction score
V-ref,

I see no reason not to go with these. A quick search has pricing around $2K This is still a good bit of savings from say hypermax by about 1/3 of list

TyCorr

Reaction score
V-ref,

I see no reason not to go with these. A quick search has pricing around $2K This is still a good bit of savings from say hypermax by about 1/3 of list

I.got.a.quote last week.from Max and their rods.are 2950.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Tarm, almost all billet rods available for the 7.3 are 24-2800ish.

If these are under 2k more of the 15-1600$ range and like V-Ref mentioned will support 700HP were all laughing. It would be awesome to have a mid range rod... DI used to talk about it years ago, and it never happened.

Sucks that you basically gamble with factory or spend 2500$

Gearhead

Reaction score
Ok where is a pricing sheet on those? Considering we are seeing engines dyno over 700 on stock forged rod motors, and these are in that mid price range ($1K) everyone's been wanting, I'm in.

Stock forged rods only hold out so long above 600. I've just recently found out that my number 1 piston doesn't come up in the hole as far as it should by about 1/4 of an inch......lol

Latest posts

Members online