Metal flakes in fuel bowl

Shipmate

Reaction score
Just pulled the upper filter and saw some very small flakes when I used a flashlight to shine down in the bowl. How screwed am I? I can not feel them with my fingers but I can see them. Very small. What do I need to do?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Prepare for a fuel system replacement.

I would have short fuel trims checked and see what cylinders are acting up. Pull valve cover and take a fuel sample from those injectors. If it too shows metallics, then it's any day now an injector can stick and melt a cylinder

Shipmate

Reaction score
CTC, I am going to replace the pump myself. What do I need to do the rest of the system?

Shipmate

Reaction score
3015eb619c917bd5c4e16c3b543296f1.jpg
693e6449d9ccd70c1803ce9c833eef76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That is a decent amount of metal. You will need, pump, all injectors, fuel cooler, probably low pressur pump, drop tank and clean it out. Also, whatever miscellaneous gasketsand what not that are a bich to remember. Job is easier with cab off....

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ve done plenty, pulled fuel samples from the rails on som that had less metal in the bowl than this and had a decent amount of metal there.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Rails, flush all lines from tank on forward, secondary filter base usually replaced due to lack of gaskets (this may have changed now,been awhile).. But yea all said and done it's almost a $10k job. Basically anything that fuel touches needs to be flushed or replaced.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you do the work yourself though, you will probably save abou 3 grand. Figured id throw that in since you said you could replace the pump...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
If the truck is running fine, I'd let it continue to run fine. That metal could have been put there in the first 5k miles of run time

Shipmate

Reaction score
If the truck is running fine, I'd let it continue to run fine. That metal could have been put there in the first 5k miles of run time

Yes it runs fine I have 25k plus at WOT on. 300tune. I will take my wife's turkey Baster and suck out the small flakes and monitor it for the next week. Then move out of the house because she is going to be pissed! 😡

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the time to pull the filter cap off in just a week. I'd wait 10k miles and check it on the next filter change.

If the truck runs well, I'd let it continue to do so. My first 6.4 had some metal flakes in the filter housing when I first bought it at 100k miles. It was still going strong when I sold it with almost 200k miles on it. Zero fuel system issues the whole time I owned it.

Sahrens0202

Reaction score
Mine had a little like this in it also at around 50kish and I am currently at 115k. Suck it out, and check at the next filter change. Also, just go to walmart and get a cheap baster that way you don't have to move out!!!

powerstroked08

Reaction score
See if their magnetic. If their not then it's probably not a huge deal. To the best of my knowledge all of the high pressure components are ferris metal.hell it could be aluminum flakes for all we know.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
They are aluminum flakes... it's aluminum that flakes off the face of the HPFP... to dumb it down, it's the low side of the HPFP that fails and sends debris through the system

Shipmate

Reaction score
well the ****ing strippers showed back up in the Fuel bowl lastnight. They must of been midget strippers because there was not as much as before. But 2 tanks of fuel and the glitter is back. So I bought a AutoEnginiunty and it is being shipped to me, I should have it this weekend. Going to check the injectors as soon as it comes in. I have a few parts quotes out there.
If the injectors check out good I am going to just replace the HPFP, fuel cooler, and clean all other lines and LPFP. Or do I just replace all injectors also even if they check out good via the AE? Do you really have to drop the fuel tank and clean it?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If there is metal, it all needs replaced unless you want to risk killing your new hpfp. And if it somehow miraculously doesnt kill the pump, you will be doing injectors and whatnot one at a time until you are sick of working on the ruck. And it will be more expensive that way, with all the coolant, gaskets and other chit from having to replace them one or two at a time. Thay are also a hell of a lot easier to replace cab off.

As for dropping the tank, i do it on all of them as it is insurance that there is no metal in the tank, same with the lpfp since it all returns through the pump to the tank.

Make sure you flush the fuel.passages in the head too, i cant remember if that was said or not.

mharring

Reaction score
Just pulled the upper filter and saw some very small flakes when I used a flashlight to shine down in the bowl. How screwed am I? I can not feel them with my fingers but I can see them. Very small. What do I need to do?

I just replaced my entire fuel system from metal contamination from crap repair job a previous dealership did

Heres a screen cap of the labor and parts. I talked them down by using all there OEM parts but i told them i could get the same parts for all most 1500$ less then there parts so they matched tascaautoparts.coms prices i think i paid 7200$ for parts and labor. But really i paid 17,000$ because the dealership that did the work didn't clean the entire system out and left a buch of metal in the tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Members online