Mild Reliability Build (Am I Missing Anything)

08Stroke

Reaction score
Let me start this thread out with a little background info. I purchased this truck back in October of 2012 with around 75k on it. When I bought the truck it had a 4" AFe turbo back exhaust and a DPF-R "tuner". Shortly after I got it home, I ordered an H&S Mini Maxx Race tuner, S&B cold air intake, Rudy's Diesel EGR delete, Flo-Pro Intake elbow and I added a set of custom traction bars. I kept the tuner down on the "Mild" tunes, and normally ran on the 250hp tune. Well after about 10k miles, it started to burp coolant so I started ordering parts to do a full reliability build. The truck is my daily driver and I pull a couple different size trailers with it about 3-4 times a month. The heaviest I usually pull is about 15k trailer and cargo. The only other thing I may use my truck for is the occasional 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile drag pass which would be no more than twice a year.

Here's my build list so far, please tell me if I should add anything and why. Thanks!

- A1 Technologies H-11 Head Studs
- All new Ford gaskets from the heads up
- Ford HPFP Fuel Lines (Left & Right)
- Ford Fuel Pressure Sensor
- Motorcraft Glow Plugs
- Ford Oil Cooler
- Ford Lifters
- Ford Rocker Arm Assemblies
- Rudy's Diesel Wastegate Kit w/ Tial Wastegate
- Elite Diesel Valve Springs
- Elite Diesel Pushrods
- Elite Diesel H/D Up-Pipes

Once all of this is complete, I'll be going with custom tunes, probably from Gearhead. I will also be adding No-Limit piping and probably a FASS. Other than that, I'll just save up for a transmission and torque converter later down the road. I hope after all of this, the truck will be very strong and hopefully very reliable.

Thanks for any input good or bad

Csilva187

Reaction score
I'd go for it. Pistons will come up I'm sure. Few fellers haven't had problems with factory units yet including myself, but now that I mentioned it... Anyhow looks fun to me, go with the no limit gear too for sure.

johnp115

Reaction score
Looks pretty good.
Id add-
6.0 manifolds
Ported intake
Low pressure batmo or a 71/72 if you can swing it.

Youre in the concord area? Ill be moving down there mid august.

08Stroke

Reaction score
Turbos and fuel system will be way later on. Don't want to up the power too much. If I have it, I'll be too tempted to use it and that means my trans probably wouldn't last for very long.
My budget is kinda tight but I want to do it right the first time. I probably won't be making much over 600whp (if that) which will be more than enough... For now of course.

Yes sir John, Im right outside Concord in a small town called Mt. Pleasant.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
check out Midwest Diesel & Auto's vendor section. he has some recently released valvetrain components that are pretty neat! Morgan can also hook you up with most of the items on your list.

good call on the tuning.

TY'S08FX4

Reaction score
Looks good, heres a part# i used for a complete ford gasket set for doing head gaskets 8C3Z-6079-D, Comes with oem head gaskets, intake gaskets,injector lines, seals and a few other things, saves you $$ over buying everything separate...any reason why your going for elite valvetrain stuff? not bashing their products but i know they are known for taking awhile to get around to sending out their orders, took 6 weeks to get my no limit intake from them . Check out morgan at Midwest diesel & auto, he has a good valve train kit he sells, as well as river city diesel, i 2nd the 6.0 manifolds, i bought rcd up-pipes to go with mine.

08Stroke

Reaction score
Didn't know that about the elite valve train parts. I have everything but the valve springs, pushrods and up-pipes. Everything else is here waiting to be installed. Any reason for the 6.0 manifolds and up-pipes vs just a set of H/D pipes? I'm only planning on being in the 600whp range. If the H/D pipes are still prone to blowing I'll go ahead and dish out the extra cabbage I guess. Just trying to be smart and not break the bank.

BOSS450, My name is Gary Freeman. I'm in an 08 red CCSB. I'll see if I can find a pic to post.

:Edit: I just looked at your profile BOSS450 and I spoke to you at mooresville a little while back.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Stay with the 6.0 manifold and up pipes. With 6.0 manifolds the bend is cast into the manifold. That sill never blow out. 6.0 manifolds also dont have the pinch in them that the 6.4 one does. Get ahold of Morgan. He can ship what you need in the morning. He tried to pawn a pallet of push rods so I think he has plenty in stock haha

Last edited:

08Stroke

Reaction score
Nice, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the info guys. I'm ready to get this thing fixed up and get back rolling again!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Especially if you don't plan to do pistons, I lean towards the ported intake manny...in theory, it should allow the back cylinders to run about the same temp as the front cylinders so it might reduce the chance of cracking a piston. Should help spool up too which is nice when loaded. As mentioned already, definitely 6.0 exh manny and the up pipes of your choice.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.