miss @ 1500 to 2000 rpms

fbilly420

Reaction score
Truck is a 2002 all stock 255k miles. Truck idles very smooth, rpms ramp up smooth until 1500 and it starts "skipping" but not consistantly and will stop a little over 2000 rpm. does this in park or neutral free reving or under load driving down the road. No codes. Couple of weeks ago cps was replaced for a no start concern (started right up with new cps) I have tried another cps with same result. checked engine harness connector on L valve cover. Checked both uvch's no issues. Crrently have both valve covers pulled and everything looks fine. Any idea's?

fbilly420

Reaction score
Well I double checked all electrical connectors under the valve covers. reinstalled valve covers. Cleared codes just to be sure nothing was there from unplugging injectors while running yesterday. started truck check eng light come on and I pulled a P1316. Guess i will be digging for the IDM now for some testing.

fbilly420

Reaction score
Well the 1316 code must have been a fluke or something. Cleared the code and reran self test no codes came back. Ran buzz test all passed. #7 and #8 sounded "quieter" than the rest. Started truck reved it up to about 1750 rpm skipped a couple times and died. Restarted like normal. I am going to try another cps.

No one has sany ideas????????

fbilly420

Reaction score
WELL, I guess the grey Ford cps is not as bad as everyone says. I pulled the aftermarket cps out and tried the factory grey cps out of my truck and it works flawlessly. Guess I will be picking up a couple from Ford today.

F.Y.I. The 2 aftermarket cps's that I tried in it are the Borg Warner ones TARM was talking about in another thread.

MossBack

Reaction score
Did you happen to start the truck with the valve covers off and watch the oil output from the injector spitters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

David N

Reaction score
Hmm... Sounds sorta like my problems. I have a really faint slight miss at those RPMs. I guess I will be trying a Ford Gray CPS tomorrow.

Black 02

Reaction score
Mine had that and it was due to the throttle position sensor in the pedal. I determined it because it never happened on cruise, but only when I used the pedal.

Changed it and the miss went away.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.