MPD Budget Turbo kit install

Reaction score
I'm not going to start a company war but, for what it's worth, we have full color instructions for all of our kits. Yes, our kits generally cost more money than others but, this is a prime example of where that money is going beyond the parts themselves.

williamallen13

Reaction score
I got the gasket installed and it does drive different and sounds different. I only drove around the neighborhood but I could tell a difference. I'll post what I think tomorrow and a new video after driving it in the original tunes.

williamallen13

Reaction score
Yes, so for future reference - wait for the gasket!
When removing the 4 bolts for the turbo, the 2 on the back side snapped off. You can guess my attitude. I guess I over tightened them? Had to pull the flange with 1 up pipe, drilled one out and re-tap, worked the other out with vise grips, and picked up 2 more bolts. Added about 2 hours to my 1 hour gasket install. But I did get the gasket in and it's running better.

gcowart140

Reaction score
Make sure your upper intake is seated properly. I had to clearance mine because it was hitting the turbo

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
So now that its properly installed what are your thoughts? Please report back with an in depth review for other prospective turbo shoppers

williamallen13

Reaction score
Make sure your upper intake is seated properly. I had to clearance mine because it was hitting the turbo
I did when I installed the turbo the first time. I show it at the end of the video where it hits the plastic upper intake and the boot creases on the fuel lines. Tight fit but it does work. May be getting the y piping later.

williamallen13

Reaction score
I had the truck looked at by a Ford tech and he gave the truck the all good. He said there was a fuel knock from the level 4 tune demanding more fuel then the fuel pump could provide and suggested maybe getting an after market lift pump. He put it level 3 tune and said the knocks gone. He was impressed with the power from the turbo but said it will have some lag which is expected from being a non vgt turbo.

Today while I drove I did notice the transmission wanting to slip out of gear. I did a hard acceleration it slipped out of gear at 4 to 5th to 6th. I rewatched it and can't seem to figure out if the transmission was slipping or if it's still learning since I only had it in this tune 2 days. Would firming up the shifting help? This is the video, it happens at the 13 sec mark.
https://youtu.be/0X4WK8mTF2I

sootie

Reaction score
i think your truck gets confused when you drive it. go 0-80 @ 25% throttle, then 50% then 100% and dont let off until it is in 6th gear.

as far as what the tech said, what is rail pressure doing? if the pump cant keep up, a lift pump will do nothing for you...

Armyman0

Reaction score
Yes Dylan from MPD said go ahead and install it without the gasket and it should be fine until I get the gasket then he told me he would overnight it on Monday well here it is Tuesday and I've called and he's now said that they don't have any in stock he doesn't know when they're going to get it in stock and he can just order one online and send it to my house overnight so I have it. So after paying $3,100 for a kit they can't send a $5 gasket to my house. So I guess I will buy one myself.

As soon as that company gets money from you, you are no longer their problem. They blow you off and leave you hanging. Worst customer service period.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Any one can sell a product onc to a customer,a real business works for you After the sale .How about spending $400 for a intake that had NO support???.Im sure they have read my concern,have they Publicly or privately responded ?Nope

Jomax

Reaction score
When I asked about not having the gasket I was told it would be fine to drive until it came. If I was told NO do not drive it till you get it then I would have waited. Installing the kit wasn't hard it was just figuring out what went where and in what order. I basically got 1 box of parts and 1 box with the turbo with no parts list and no instructions. When buying any aftermarket kit it should come with a parts list, instructions with pictures, and an after hours phone number so anyone with some experience can install. If it wasn't for Dylan giving me his cell number then I don't know what I would have done. I definitely appreciate all the help. An aftermarket kit like this should have the turbo prepped and come with pictures of it installed. There's no pictures online anywhere of this exact kit installed that shows the oil line or the proper angle of the front turbo housing. The one on Facebook has different uppipes, no oil line, and doesn't show the fuel lines. Watch the long video and at the end you can see it installed and running. One thing I didn't really like was the fact that the turbo was hitting the upper air intake and it still isn't high enough for the boot to not be creased by the fuel lines. If anyone has suggestions on this I'd like to hear. When I get the gasket tomorrow I'll install it and post the results.
And Ben's Diesel performance also writes tunes for that device. They actually have the kit installed in there truck with there tunes. I went with PIP because they have a good reputation on this site. Like I said I will install the gasket and I'm sure it will fix the problem.
https://youtu.be/8AZsmB8WlfY

H&S has beautiful colored pictured instructions for their kit. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Any one can sell a product onc to a customer,a real business works for you After the sale .How about spending $400 for a intake that had NO support???.Im sure they have read my concern,have they Publicly or privately responded ?Nope

I hope you're not talking about Mike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Lmao, you need instructions to put on a pipe and filter?! LOL

I asked a question ,you like the way it hangs freely by the silicone tube from the intake?Good for you ,when the MAF sensor breaks ,you'll be stranded .I Natalie's then removed,until I figure out how to secure it.I put the Streetmax R on wo directions

sootie

Reaction score
I asked a question ,you like the way it hangs freely by the silicone tube from the intake?Good for you ,when the MAF sensor breaks ,you'll be stranded .I Natalie's then removed,until I figure out how to secure it.I put the Streetmax R on wo directions

you are bashing two of THE BEST KNOWN FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE in power-stoke performance. Instead of babying about it in multiple threads, why not send a pm or email-or heaven forbid, pick up the phone and call!?

on edit...i have no limit intakes on 6.0/6.4/6.7 all of which hang the same way with tens of thousands of miles on them with no issues...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.