Muffler suggestions?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I have that muffler as stated earlier in the thread. I was going to use a 15" fte also, I figured it might be too quiet though. But I don't pull anything heavy, I am sure if I pulled a heavy load the drone would be worse. I actually miss the loud hiss from straight pipe, but that drone got old on long trip

I need to do some more driving first before I have a good opinion. Trying to look into some other options to get rid of the drone without making it quieter.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
added half of my 30" fte, so basically the same as the 17" version about 20" in front of the 5050xl muffler. Truck sounds good. Nice and mellow, no hiss, almost no drone at all. Unfortunately I feel like its down on power with adding the fte back in. I know it should not be, but it seems noticeable slower. Wish I had a dyno I could play with.

PasoF450

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I read the whole thread, at first I thought we were talking about getting rid of of the Exhaust Hiss but it sounds like everybody is more interested in getting rid of the drone. I did the ****** but left the stock muffler/tips in place, and have no drone at any speed.

What I want to do now is get rid of the Rick Flare hiss. I thinks it's terrible. So my question is do I just add a muffler? I am also planning on a turbo swap to the ATS aurora 4000, will that change the exhaust note?

Thank you for the insight.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I read the whole thread, at first I thought we were talking about getting rid of of the Exhaust Hiss but it sounds like everybody is more interested in getting rid of the drone. I did the ****** but left the stock muffler/tips in place, and have no drone at any speed.

What I want to do now is get rid of the Rick Flare hiss. I thinks it's terrible. So my question is do I just add a muffler? I am also planning on a turbo swap to the ATS aurora 4000, will that change the exhaust note?

The Rick flair hiss will be entirely gone with the new turbo... And yeah it will change your exhaust note for sure with the turbo swap...

bdm1981

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I can assure you with that setup it will be very loud. I'm looking to put a muffler on mine soon.

PasoF450

Reaction score
The Rick flair hiss will be entirely gone with the new turbo... And yeah it will change your exhaust note for sure with the turbo swap...

That is what I was wondering about, sounds like I would be better off to wait until I swap the turbo out. Then modify the exhaust.

Thank you

FX44AU

Reaction score
I've gotta decide what I'm going to do with mine. I tried the short body Donaldson (about a 34" body) and it was too quiet for me. I ended up going back to the race pipe only. It doesn't sound bad but I do wish it was deeper toned.

Will going to 5" straight sound deeper than the race pipe with the factory tailpipe? If I don't do the full 5" I'll probably put on a Magnaflow 5" *** back kit. That's what I've been planning to do but if the full 5" will sound better that's what I'll do.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
you likely won't tell much difference between the two, but a complete downpipe-back will probably cost the same as a 5" ***-back :eek:

FX44AU

Reaction score
you likely won't tell much difference between the two, but a complete downpipe-back will probably cost the same as a 5" ***-back :eek:

The 5" kit is going to cost me $380ish plus the tip. The Magnaflow *** back is going to be $240ish....... both aluminized. It looks like with the 5" kit I'm going to gain about 6' of pipe that's going from 4" to 5" and maybe less connections. Other than that basically the same. If there isn't going to be a sound difference from the extra bit of increased pipe diameter I'll probably go with the Magnaflow *** back kit because I like the exit angle better.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I've gotta decide what I'm going to do with mine. I tried the short body Donaldson (about a 34" body) and it was too quiet for me. I ended up going back to the race pipe only. It doesn't sound bad but I do wish it was deeper toned.

Will going to 5" straight sound deeper than the race pipe with the factory tailpipe? If I don't do the full 5" I'll probably put on a Magnaflow 5" *** back kit. That's what I've been planning to do but if the full 5" will sound better that's what I'll do.
"
race pipe with factory tail vs full 5" is drastically different. Going to the 5" is where all the drone issues I was fighting came from. Full 5" was considerably louder, But straight piped it didn't sound good imo. It was loud, but just not a good tone. Full 5" with a jones 5050xl sounded perfect imo, loud, deep tone, not a ton of hiss or drone, could still hear a lot of turbo. Unfortunately it was just to loud as I will be spending all winter plowing 10-30+hrs a storm in the truck.

Another thing I want to add, At the same time I did my truck, I put a 5" straight pipe on my fathers 2013 and it sounds completely different. Not as loud, doesnt have any drone, and has a much better tone. The 15 turbo must be the main difference. Every ford I have ever owned has had a 5" straight pipe including two 6.4 I still drive weekly and my 15 6.7 is the first one I really didn't like how it sounded straight piped.

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
"
race pipe with factory tail vs full 5" is drastically different. Going to the 5" is where all the drone issues I was fighting came from. Full 5" was considerably louder, But straight piped it didn't sound good imo. It was loud, but just not a good tone. Full 5" with a jones 5050xl sounded perfect imo, loud, deep tone, not a ton of hiss or drone, could still hear a lot of turbo. Unfortunately it was just to loud as I will be spending all winter plowing 10-30+hrs a storm in the truck.

Another thing I want to add, At the same time I did my truck, I put a 5" straight pipe on my fathers 2013 and it sounds completely different. Not as loud, doesnt have any drone, and has a much better tone. The 15 turbo must be the main difference. Every ford I have ever owned has had a 5" straight pipe including two 6.4 I still drive weekly and my 15 6.7 is the first one I really didn't like how it sounded straight piped.

They sound like a new duramax, I had it for about 6 months and sadly, other than no longer being ******d, I don't miss it! I've had all different diesels with a straight pipe and this was my least favorite.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
personally, I don't care for any of the 6.7's straight piped, but I think the 15's have a cleaner sound due to no wastegate

the 11-14's sound like a wookie yelling into a steel garbage can @ WOT

20156point7

Reaction score
Imo the 15s strait piped sounds really good there quiet until you get into the throttle then they scream. Around where I live it seems everyone gets tickets for strait piped diesels, ive been running mine for over a year with no trouble but knock on wood.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
way more turbo noise with the 5". But its not a whistle. More of a moan?

Notneb

Reaction score
way more turbo noise with the 5". But its not a whistle. More of a moan?

I was gonna go with roar almost like a mountain lion scream is what it reminds me off, when you get on boost then let off... But moan? :p

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I was gonna go with roar almost like a mountain lion scream is what it reminds me off, when you get on boost then let off... But moan? :p

lol. I guess Im just disappointed in how it sounds (straight piped). I feel like I tried enough options that I would rather it just be quiet then not right. That being said, I like how it sounds and I have got multiple compliments on how it sounds. I'll try to get a outside video but we all know how bad that normally works. Its all personal preference though. What one person loves then next hates. If not for that every truck on here would look the same.

FX44AU

Reaction score
I'm going with the full 5" Flo-Pro and I'll see what I think about it without a muffler to begin with. If I don't like it or if the drone is too overbearing I'll probably install a Jones 5050XL. As long as the 5" exhaust has a deeper tone with at least the same amount of turbo "noise" I'll be happy.

Latest posts

Members online