my 4" downpipe install

ryanss22

Reaction score
So on my 96 f-250 I installed an Irate T4 kit in 321ss and am going to be running a s475 for pulling. I decided since I had my cab off for body work I wanted to run a true 4" DP.. I mocked up the DP with 4" stove pipe and am glad I did!! lol It was a bit involved with cutting out the firewall bending and patching it back up to fit without rubbing. I put heat reflective tape on the engine side to help stop heat from getting into the cab, also going to wrap the DP. here are some pics and what it took to do..

Attachments

• irate mount 1.jpg
    irate mount 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
  • irate mount 2.jpg
    irate mount 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • dp mock up 1.jpg
    dp mock up 1.jpg
    900.6 KB · Views: 184
  • dp mock up 2.jpg
    dp mock up 2.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 155
  • dp final 1.jpg
    dp final 1.jpg
    857.6 KB · Views: 191

ryanss22

Reaction score
sorry cant figure out how to post more then 5 pics at a time

Attachments

• dp final 2.jpg
    dp final 2.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 154
  • fire wall cut out.jpg
    fire wall cut out.jpg
    798.9 KB · Views: 188
  • fire wall cut out 2.jpg
    fire wall cut out 2.jpg
    989.4 KB · Views: 161
  • floor board cut out.jpg
    floor board cut out.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 170

ryanss22

Reaction score
and the fire wall all patched up and done. you can see how much I had to cut out and bend. Here's my turbo and the flange also.

Attachments

• fire wall final 1.jpg
    fire wall final 1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 144
  • fire wall final 2.jpg
    fire wall final 2.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 153
  • fire wall final 3.jpg
    fire wall final 3.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 146
  • turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 136
  • turbo outlet flange.jpg
    turbo outlet flange.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 114

ryanss22

Reaction score
I can give this word of advise if some wantes to try it, eaither add a 2" body lift or like i did run a plank through the cab to a chain fall and unbolt the front body mount bolts. allows you to tilt that cab back enough to work on...

Cr500

Reaction score
I used to make a outlet for the stock 3 bolt turbine housing that used a 99 up dp flange so you could bolt on a 99 up 4" dp. It was a nice part, radiused from 3"-3.5". It took massaging but it was never that crazy of a job to get the 4" tube in there. I always at least replaced cab mounts with polyurethane ones to get cab right. But if I mounted a turbo square on engine kinda like yours a 3.5 was usually all I built. There are just things on a 99 up that are taken for granted, room at rear of motor would be one of them!

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
no hijack but with your experience can it be done cab on cutting the floor from inside easily?

going to do my 4"dp next few weeks when the gt4202r goes on.

also how much massaging did you have to do for the turbo to firewall clearance?

have read some threads but your pics really help.

thanks

ryanss22

Reaction score
yes it can be done with cab on from inside... you will have to pull back the carpet and slice the black insulation right by the firewall. it's a lil right of center of cab. best bet would try to get at it from engine side and drill a few tracer holes so ur not completly "blind" your basically cutting out the pinch weld.. make sure to leave at least 1/2 inch all the way around

for the turbo I just had to hit in the firewall right bellow the wiper motor where the race cover hit... other then that lots of room. feel free to ask any ?'s any time..

edit- after looking back at my pic's i dont belive it is possible from just inside the cab.

Last edited:

KBMKVIII

Reaction score
im thinking mock up the dp and turbo on my spare motor. then take a few bs measurments.
then pulling out the bfh and cut off wheel. also thanks for the good pics.

ryanss22

Reaction score
sounds like a good plan man. for my s475 I used 2 90* elbows to get the bends. if youd like any other pics pm me and i can just e-mail or text them to you..

Bair

Reaction score
I put my 4 in" DP in with the cab on. Shoot, it's been 3 yrs ago now an I don't remember the details but I just hacked it out with a sawzall and then semi flattened a piece of 4" exhaust pipe to weld in to cover the hole and give a curve to it. I do have a 2" body lift as well. Makes doin anything engine wise on an obs a lot easier.

ryanss22

Reaction score
sorry not sure on part #. I ordered one from James at barder turbo when he rebuilt my turbo. He's a dealer on here and will be more then willing to hook you up.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
it was a PITAzz, but we did it from inside the cab, without tilting it...

you have to cut out the floor as high as you can go, and lose the dash brace, but it's possible....

would I do it again? nope.....

it does cool a bit better, and spools a bit better down low, othern that, no difference....

Latest posts

Members online