My 7.3 issues

ja_cain

Reaction score
Did you say ebp was a constant 600+? That should be way off scale for the sensor. I guess maybe you were talking about egt, but maybe not if it is constant. Black smoke like that screams boost/air restriction issues to me.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I don't think the pcm monitors egt.. The only other thing I can think of is that it was showing a different unit other than psi but that's what everything else is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mn_sclb

Reaction score
00e1c00d375d325d8d73619e94fc6538.jpg
I don't have a screenshot of that page of gauges. you'll just have to trust me that the gauge for ebp was pinned to the top and the digital side was like 650psi. that reminds me that the reported boost never went above like 0.6 psi. That's what those videos were of, me trying to see if I could build boost.

Last edited:

mn_sclb

Reaction score
Just gonna go out on a limb here... But I think this
98a48b33ceb1e13cc5169d5ea6beea61.jpg
may have something to do with the no boost reading. I had no idea what that was for, I assumed the waste hate solenoid was the map sensor. It looks like the line was broken out of the sensor
0e83ae934db39578d667b775aabd8bef.jpg
yet another one to add to the list 😓

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I figure that's the cause of the waaaay excessive smoke. But could that cause any of the other stuff like intermittent erratic idle or idle smoke

mn_sclb

Reaction score
Seems like a dumb question I just didn't know if turbo boost reading would affect idle fueling (where there isn't any boost) but thanks. Hopefully this is it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Its not just boost. Its manifold pressure. But yea, you're right.

You'll get sick of hearing it but every truck is different.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I'm sure all of the general question can get annoying. I'm just glad to have the help so I don't have to take shots in the dark. It's just kinda frustrating to think its this and that just to find something that's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, that you overlooked

ja_cain

Reaction score
I don't think the pcm monitors egt.. The only other thing I can think of is that it was showing a different unit other than psi but that's what everything else is in.

It doesn't I just assumed it was a typo and maybe you had a gauge or something because the number didn't make sense to me and was inline with what the egt's might read. Though they shouldn't stay constant like that unless something is broken.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm sure all of the general question can get annoying. I'm just glad to have the help so I don't have to take shots in the dark. It's just kinda frustrating to think its this and that just to find something that's RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, that you overlooked

The good thing is that you are under the hood and familiarizing yourself with everything. Like Ty said, we have all been there and had to start somewhere. Sites like this one have made knowledge/experience much more accessible.

I agree that map unhooked/broken shouldn't effect idle smoke output. What color is the smoke. Does it smell like unburnt fuel?

mn_sclb

Reaction score
White afaict, as the rpms come up its definitely blue, then it just stops. It smells like more oily burnt smelling, it's not sweet smelling like fuel. Kinda smells like a bobcat or a semi just kinda dirty idk

Latest posts

Members online