My auto to ZF6 swap

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Ya I was gonna head to fastenal or ace bolt and screw with the shift lever but just figured if ask to see if anyone knew. As far as what's left, today the tranny bolts were torqued to spec and the tranny crossmember went in and attempted to put transfer case in by myself, gonna probably need a hand with the transfer case since its so awkward. After the transfer case just driveshafts(which includes any modification to them needed) and tomorrow the floorboard is getting welded in. I decided to buy a brand new pre-bled clutch master cylinder/ slave cylinder from ford so that needs to be installed. Shift lever bolt needs to be bought and that's it. After that the truck is going to ford for IDS. The end is near!

BFT

Reaction score
Don't be a pussy and install it yourself LOL I've done it a couple times and requires some break dancing moves

HD-tech-NH

Reaction score
Ya I was gonna head to fastenal or ace bolt and screw with the shift lever but just figured if ask to see if anyone knew. As far as what's left, today the tranny bolts were torqued to spec and the tranny crossmember went in and attempted to put transfer case in by myself, gonna probably need a hand with the transfer case since its so awkward. After the transfer case just driveshafts(which includes any modification to them needed) and tomorrow the floorboard is getting welded in. I decided to buy a brand new pre-bled clutch master cylinder/ slave cylinder from ford so that needs to be installed. Shift lever bolt needs to be bought and that's it. After that the truck is going to ford for IDS. The end is near!

I've been quietly following this and wanted to tell you that I'm impressed with your diligence. Been nice to see you stay on task and get the job done. Well done.

:toast:

Dieselfarmer

Reaction score
I agree with some of what Charles said. In a way your taking a truck that only needed an $1100 converter, and instead ditching the auto and cutting a massive hole in the floor. It's a cool idea, but I don't really agree with it. Mainly for the reason that selling it won't be all that simple. If a buyer wanted to do a carfax on it, they'd see it came with a 5r. If it was my truck, I would have stopped and went back to the auto as soon as I noticed the different floors. Don't get me wrong, I love my zf6 7.3, they're a great transmission and hold up to serious abuse with a good clutch. Like I said, it's still a cool idea...just ballzy. You all can flame me as much as you want now. Just stating my opinions.

GARSH SHORT STICK! JEEZEEEE YOU MEAN!!! LOOKS LIKE SOMEBUDY BEEN STUCK IN A RUT OR SOMETHIN BY GOLLY HOMY G! :biggun:

brooksfruge

Reaction score
CE6-A3AC8CB0A8AD-1601-0000011AC125F553_zps6861719b.jpg

Transfer case is in, front drive shaft had enough flex to get bolted up, had to stretch it a bit so probably needs to be lengthened, rear drive shaft needs to be shortened, probably gonna measure the difference in lengths of transmissions and lengthen front drive shaft and shorten rear by the difference

10F-BE77635C0A11-1601-0000011AD13F33FA_zpsbbe3e3eb.jpg

BF8-E9ED0418B67D-1601-0000011ADAD607BD_zps45db85ca.jpg

D26-12C167A82E3E-1601-0000011ACDD65103_zps4c521632.jpg

Floorboard is welded in, except for the top line, my buddy and I decided not to attempt it due to possibly melting dash pieces or nearby wiring, gonna rtv over the welds for peace of mind and figure somethin out for the top line, interior is going back together tomorrow and driveshafts are going to the driveline shop in town on Monday, depending on how long that takes should be at ford soon

B585Ford

Reaction score
Excellent job with the floorboard....I'm sure that couldn't have been easy. Well,almost there.

White_monster

Reaction score
That dash panel comes off with just a couple screws too. Paint the welded section with a good primer/sealer then a good coat of paint. Then silicone it if you must. I'd seriously take the time to pull the panel and finish the weld all the way across. You've gone this far don't take a shortcut now. Good work though.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Don't be a pussy and install it yourself LOL I've done it a couple times and requires some break dancing moves

Haha I missed this post when reading over comments, I threw the best moves I had at it by myself lol I failed, with two more sets of hands it took less than 2 minutes

That dash panel comes off with just a couple screws too. Paint the welded section with a good primer/sealer then a good coat of paint. Then silicone it if you must. I'd seriously take the time to pull the panel and finish the weld all the way across. You've gone this far don't take a shortcut now. Good work though.

Thanks for the advice bud. Any specific primer/paint/rtv brand I should use in your opinion? Ill see what I can do to get the top line welded in.

:whs:
Looking good, bet you can't wait to row some gears :)

Lol you have no idea, can't wait to drive the truck again this time bangin gears, it's getting old riding the R6 in the rain too. Hopin the IDS/tuning goes smoothly.

12stroker

Reaction score
Go to Tasco auto color on 29th street in Bryan they can set you up with paint at a good price. I bought a throw away paint gun at harbor freight and painted my 12v

Latest posts

Members online