My build so far...

higherlife

Reaction score
Sorry that you doubt what multiple people have proven to be true!

Proof??? And who??? Very broad statements champ. This reminds me of bills custom intakes for the duramaxes. He made a 7" intake but everyone was smart enough to to realize a bigger intake didn't mean more horse power.

joe d

Reaction score
I can see if one is more restrictive then the other one may make more power then the other..

sootie

Reaction score
Proof??? And who??? Very broad statements champ. This reminds me of bills custom intakes for the duramaxes. He made a 7" intake but everyone was smart enough to to realize a bigger intake didn't mean more horse power.

spend some time reading in the 6.7 aftermarket forum and you can see what people are doing. And no, an intake doesn't "add" power, but it sure frees it up!

I can see if one is more restrictive then the other one may make more power then the other..

Bingo!

Notneb

Reaction score
No Limit has more filter surface area than the S&B which is why it is less restrictive by far. Jomax is actually using my old S&B intake so I know first hand the size difference in the two filters.

What I'm saying is that the only thing that could possibly affect out numbers in comparing mods, is our intakes. No other mod that I have that he doesn't, would add or subtract power/torque.

higherlife

Reaction score
spend some time reading in the 6.7 aftermarket forum and you can see what people are doing. And no, an intake doesn't "add" power, but it sure frees it up!

Bingo!

I read here and there but have yet to read about someone complaining that their aftermarket intake is the limiting factor when trying to create more power. soooo....

joe d

Reaction score
I dont wanna get into a pissing match but its common knowledge that you get more threw a fire hose then a straw.. Same principles apply to a filter.
Hince why diffrent micron rateings have diffrent overall flow in fuel filteres.

Ill add that i know when my filter needs changed by how the truck builds boost and smokes a littel more and runs a slight bit hotter. Thats just a dirty filter not two whole diffrent filters.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
so then what was this statement in reference to?

it was in reference to your post # 159 where you doubted that an air intake could make a difference with aftermarket tuning...when many of us have proved otherwise!

higherlife

Reaction score
Are you saying that air intakes produce horsepower? I highly doubt the aftermarket tuning is maxing out any aftermarket air intake to the point that it would make a difference.

it was in reference to your post # 159 where you doubted that an air intake could make a difference with aftermarket tuning...when many of us have proved otherwise!

bro your not reading what i wrote and seeing what you want to see.
Are you saying that air intakes produce horsepower?
I highly doubt the aftermarket tuning is maxing out any aftermarket air intake to the point that i would make a difference

I stated that aftermarket tuning is probably not maxing out any aftermarket tuning to the point that it would make a difference. Basically stating that the truck is probably drawing the same amount of air with any aftermarket air intake regardless of manufacturer at the power levels that are being tested.

Aftermarket over stock, yes probably a difference but i clearly state aftermarket.

I still have no idea of what "Us have proved otherwise" is referring to.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
bro your not reading what i wrote and seeing what you want to see.
Are you saying that air intakes produce horsepower?
I highly doubt the aftermarket tuning is maxing out any aftermarket air intake to the point that i would make a difference

I stated that aftermarket tuning is probably not maxing out any aftermarket tuning to the point that it would make a difference. Basically stating that the truck is probably drawing the same amount of air with any aftermarket air intake regardless of manufacturer at the power levels that are being tested.

Aftermarket over stock, yes probably a difference but i clearly state aftermarket.

I still have no idea of what "Us have proved otherwise" is referring to.

I believe there are dyno numbers back to back out there actually proving it makes more power than the S&B. I picked up 1.5mpg instantly after putting my NL on compared to my S&B that I had before it. I was pretty impressed by the difference. Thats hand calculated same fuel and the days were even back to back driving over to my inlaws.

On another note, tire size and more importantly rolling mass will make a difference in dyno numbers.

higherlife

Reaction score
I believe there are dyno numbers back to back out there actually proving it makes more power than the S&B. I picked up 1.5mpg instantly after putting my NL on compared to my S&B that I had before it. I was pretty impressed by the difference. Thats hand calculated same fuel and the days were even back to back driving over to my inlaws.

On another note, tire size and more importantly rolling mass will make a difference in dyno numbers.

Huh I guess I missed that thread. I'll have to do some searching.
The point I was trying to make was that a tune has fixed variables and ratios calculating X volume of air. Only way for a intake to actually show a difference is that if one intake can't supply X volume or whichever one can produce more volume if X can't be reached by either.
I was simply pointing out that I doubt that the volume of air needed at these power levels which I am referring to the standard levels 1-4 with any tuner is requiring a greater amount of volume than can be achieved by any aftermarket air intake.
Show me dyno numbers and track times I might become a believer. Also I am not hating, I am a proud owner of a shiny intake with a big ass filter.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
riginally Posted by colecoop56 View Post
I dynoed my truck this past saturday. I am still waiting on the dyno graphs which I will post up later but I wanted to fill everyone in with the results. For the dyno testing we felt that to get the most accurate results we would dyno mikes intake, the afe intake, and then the stock intake.

Here are the peak hp and tq of each intake:

Peak Hp
Stock-442
Afe-444
No Limit-451

Peak Tq
Stock-1027
Afe-1044
No Limit-1058

As you can see the no limit has a pretty good gain over the afe. But what was really impressive was when we started breaking the tq numbers at a given rpm.

At 1600 rpm (Tq)
Stock-386
Afe-448
No Limit-512

At 1700 rpm (Tq)
Stock-515
Afe-571
No Limit-663

At 1800 rpm (Tq)
Stock-693
Afe-748
No Limit-825

At 1900 rpm (Tq)
Stock-872
Afe-931
No Limit-942

These tq numbers definitely confirm the difference I immediately felt when I put on the No Limit intake.

These numbers were on an 11-14 truck but it gives you the idea.

Keith

Last edited:

gratitudefortoday

Reaction score
I've got my suspicion at what the problem is, and I'll hook up the Torque app tomorrow and get some hard boost numbers. Thunderstorm here right now so testing is on hold! I pulled my Air Filter today and cleaned it, and it was barely dirty at all. I'll check all my IC piping boots tomorrow, I finally got around to replacing one of the bands, so that's my next suspicion. Should've left the worm clamp on, lol!

Alright, good luck. Lol, yeah, worm clamps work, huh?

gratitudefortoday

Reaction score
Only thing that would make a difference in hp/tq numbers, would be our CAI's. 3"-5" exhaust doesn't matter and my piping kit does nothing for numbers. Tire size doesn't matter either, so it has to be a leak. There was plenty of fuel across the rpm range, I was pushing more unburnt fuel out than Jomax.

Yes, exactly, and you'd expect your 40 HP numbers to be reversed with you running the NL intake? Either one running a fuel additive? Or both on the same season fuel?

Notneb

Reaction score
I run Diesel Kleen gray bottle in mine, not sure what Jomax runs, and yes we're on summer fuel, no such thing as winter fuel down here in lovely southern AZ lol. 70 degrees in Jan...

Jomax

Reaction score
I run Diesel Kleen gray bottle in mine, not sure what Jomax runs, and yes we're on summer fuel, no such thing as winter fuel down here in lovely southern AZ lol. 70 degrees in Jan...

I run fords additive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
So I suspect the stock EGT probe doesn't fit 100% with the EGT block off plate, it just wiggles too much like the tread type is off just a hair. Going to run to lowes and see if I can find some plugs that will work for now. I sprayed the area down with soapy water but without boost applied there's zero bubbles.

As for the follow up dyno, it's going to have to wait as I'm flying out soon for a job interview. But I'm 99% sure I've found the problem.

gratitudefortoday

Reaction score
So I suspect the stock EGT probe doesn't fit 100% with the EGT block off plate, it just wiggles too much like the tread type is off just a hair. Going to run to lowes and see if I can find some plugs that will work for now. I sprayed the area down with soapy water but without boost applied there's zero bubbles.

As for the follow up dyno, it's going to have to wait as I'm flying out soon for a job interview. But I'm 99% sure I've found the problem.

That's weird that it's wiggling while screwed in. Not just good ole NPT? Good luck on the interview.

Latest posts

Members online