My tow pig/DD build thread. F350/Cummins 6.7/twins/6R140

me2

Reaction score
No it wouldnt. The guys over on ole Pirate4x4, down there in the ole tow rig section arent too fond of this guy. Bashing their medium duty trucks to haul big heavy trailers, versus using f350 pickups.

Use a medium duty internatonal with a 350hp m11 cummins, and a 10 speed with air brakes, to haul that 20k lb trailer across a couple states, or do it with a f350 diesel pickup...this me2 guy seems to think you are an idiot for picking the mdt, because you cant take a soccer team with you.

Just about everything in that quote is incorrect, but I'll be d@mned if I am going to waste my time correcting it for the 10th time.

When mis quotes like this happen I can never figure out if people can't read or if they are just slanderous and figure nobody will notice.

And, for the record, I can't remember discussing high performance 7.3s nor beer online, in diesel sites anyway.

I haven't owned a 7.3 for 7 years now and it was stock when I did.

I know a bit about brewing beer, but that is another story.

The transmission solenoid drivers arrived. I'll be hooking the transmission controller up to the transmission shortly after I write a big exam on December 1st.

Last edited:

Powerstroke214

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned/addressed, but why not send your truck(or a 2011) in to a shop and get it stretched so you can focus more on the engine/trans section.

I don't mean to be pushy or an ass, but how much progress have you made? It looks like a tough project, but it's worth the wait and work to end up with exactly what you want! :thumbsup:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
You guys really get your panties in a knot over things.

Me, wife + 3 kids = full Superduty. No room to take along any one of the several people that would like to join us on our trips.

I'm going to do the swap first and reassess the stretch after we've used the truck for a few months with the new engine.

I put 1600 miles on my F350 this past weekend, 800 miles in storms. The *&^*%!! air cleaner plugged twice with snow. Other than that and a few engine hiccups, its an awesome truck. I can't wait for it to have a Cummins.

How do you keep encountering snow problems?
I moved to minneapolis MN and neither in my 7.3 nor my 6.4 do I have this problem, even when it was snowing so hard in 2010 they actually shut down the twin cities:jawdrop:
In both trucks I modified the factory box before hand just to get better air flow. W/ the 6.4, I pulled the fender liner back and took out the "snorkel" thing that goes to the head lamp so it now can also pull from the fender emblem area. I modified the factory box and removed all the scoop and snorkel junk that routes the snow to the box and it works great. I replied to a few of your PSN post concerning air boxes.

Like I said, I've driven from the TC to rockford IL, snow the whole way, no issues or problems. From IL back to the TC in another snow storm no problems. Locally in heavy falls, at one point the "non" snow routes and side streets were almost 4 feet deep in snow and since I have to park in the back I have no choice but to drive through that deep snow, no problems. The grill was packed full but when I lifted the hood and checked the air box, dry as a bone.

ITS FREE TO DO :D and it might solve your snow issue for the time being.

genuineford

Reaction score
I moved to minneapolis MN and neither in my 7.3 nor my 6.4 do I have this problem, even when it was snowing so hard in 2010 they actually shut down the twin cities:jawdrop:
In both trucks I modified the factory box before hand just to get better air flow. W/ the 6.4, I pulled the fender liner back and took out the "snorkel" thing that goes to the head lamp so it now can also pull from the fender emblem area. I modified the factory box and removed all the scoop and snorkel junk that routes the snow to the box and it works great. I replied to a few of your PSN post concerning air boxes.

Like I said, I've driven from the TC to rockford IL, snow the whole way, no issues or problems. From IL back to the TC in another snow storm no problems. Locally in heavy falls, at one point the "non" snow routes and side streets were almost 4 feet deep in snow and since I have to park in the back I have no choice but to drive through that deep snow, no problems. The grill was packed full but when I lifted the hood and checked the air box, dry as a bone.

ITS FREE TO DO :D and it might solve your snow issue for the time being.

I agree Damian There are simple ways around these issues.

me2

Reaction score
Sometimes I have to drive in storms.

20120319_001.jpg

20120319_005.jpg

I don't think drawing air from the fender area would have helped in this instance.

The problem is that the air intake system is too small, which accelerates the air, which cools it and causes moisture to drop and freezing. I've had it happen in freezing rain as well. No sign of snow anywhere, but in the airbox. *&^*$%!

I'll address this issue when I do the swap.

Last edited:

Rene G

Reaction score
Sometimes I have to drive in storms.

20120319_001.jpg

20120319_005.jpg

I don't think drawing air from the fender area would have helped in this instance.

The problem is that the air intake system is too small, which accelerates the air, which cools it and causes moisture to drop and freezing. I've had it happen in freezing rain as well. No sign of snow anywhere, but in the airbox. *&^*$%!

I'll address this issue when I do the swap.

I've been there as well, with a S&B intake. I carry a spare filter for this reason.

me2

Reaction score
I've been there as well, with a S&B intake. I carry a spare filter for this reason.
That is interesting to know. Thanks for sharing that.

I thought the issue was the snorkel hose on the 6.4 setup. I guess not. I guess the solution is not to put the filter in a small box.

On my '99, I have a BHAF sitting in the open behind the headlight. I've seen it with some snow on it, but I've never seen snow packed onto it. It has so much outside area that it would be hard to pack the entire filter, especially if it wasn't in a box.

me2

Reaction score
Driver's seat mod. http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27377

I also did the door seal mod, which made a big difference in the cab noise level. However, the driver's side door doesn't close very well. I probably need to adjust the door striker.

Its been a bit over a year since I bought this truck. I put 37,500 miles on it since then.

Last edited:

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I cant believe I just read 48 pages of this build. lol I am gearing up for a cummins conversion myself. Nothing this deep, but a build I am pretty excited about. lol Good luck with the build.

P.S. I think Jason is the leading cause of suicide from internet bullying in the United States. lmfao

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
He's still a big puzzzzzyyyyy in person. Gets drunk off 2 millers and wants to go racing 7.3's down some back road

Ask me how I know..and ask him how bad I spanked that azz!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.