Need advise on keeping my 6.4

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
I have had my truck almost 2 years. Currently has 104k. I have had to do trans, studs, thermostat, 3 rads, water pump, 5 sensors, and lots and lots of other things that have let me down, up pipes, currently has death wobble and goes into shop next week for that. Atmo turbo needs replacing. I use this as my dd and we take it to the beach at least once a week. Between death wobble and lately the damn coolant hoses popping off weekly I'm about over it. As far as fixing issues yea I can blame myself for needing trans but other stuff just keeps breaking. I read these forums every day and I'm super paranoid at this point that my engine is a time bomb and it will be either a piston or hpfp or I'll wipe out top end with a lifter or something. I need reliability for what I pay a month it can't let me down as often. I'm considering going for a 2015 or getting another brand. I read the thread on all the high mileage trucks with "no issues, runs great since I got it", well that's not me. I don't know what to do. Love the truck, looks great, comfy, but damn how much do I put into it until I call it a lesson learned and move on. I know there are guys in my shoes, did u sell it or stick it out? Thanks in advance. Keep in mind this isn't my toy it's my dd and I have a fam and a business

sootie

Reaction score
i stuck it out...and my truck is my dd...but i'm over it. if i was in your shoes i would trade it on a 6.7

Black AOD

Reaction score
I have had my truck almost 2 years. Currently has 104k. I have had to do trans, studs, thermostat, 3 rads, water pump, 5 sensors, and lots and lots of other things that have let me down, up pipes, currently has death wobble and goes into shop next week for that. Atmo turbo needs replacing. I use this as my dd and we take it to the beach at least once a week. Between death wobble and lately the damn coolant hoses popping off weekly I'm about over it. As far as fixing issues yea I can blame myself for needing trans but other stuff just keeps breaking. I read these forums every day and I'm super paranoid at this point that my engine is a time bomb and it will be either a piston or hpfp or I'll wipe out top end with a lifter or something. I need reliability for what I pay a month it can't let me down as often. I'm considering going for a 2015 or getting another brand. I read the thread on all the high mileage trucks with "no issues, runs great since I got it", well that's not me. I don't know what to do. Love the truck, looks great, comfy, but damn how much do I put into it until I call it a lesson learned and move on. I know there are guys in my shoes, did u sell it or stick it out? Thanks in advance. Keep in mind this isn't my toy it's my dd and I have a fam and a business

If youre having all these issues then agree with the above 2 statements, get a 6.7. More reliable.

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Any other opinions? Yo sootie, if u could do it again, would u have gotten something else?

sootie

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Any other opinions? Yo sootie, if u could do it again, would u have gotten something else?

depends. the feel of driving a compound turbo truck esp a higher hp 6.4 is reeeeealy hard to beat and is quite addictive LOL

i should have held out for a 6.7 but at the time-there wearent even tuners out for them yet

2wd-fire

Reaction score
I dont think that statement is true.

I bought a 107K Job 1 2011 truck and put an injector in it and deleted it. Thing is now my daily driver 80-150 miles a day. Runs like a top, never had an issue.

Jared

Well the used truck dealership I work for buys 3-4 blown up 6.7s a week. And the 11s eat exhaust valves . And with high miles the hpfp goes bad it ruins the whole fuel system and just for parts it's $3500 dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Ta

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
Yea but the hpfp is bad in a 6.4 too so I'm not losing anything there. Hopefully they have good lifters and pistons

DWhite

Reaction score
make sure its a low mile 6.7 and not an 11

I will also have to disagree.
I have a buddy that has an '11 with over 150k on it and it is still running strong minus a new A/C unit. I also have buddies with '11s that are deleted and still running with no major issues other than normal wear items.
My '11 is also going good but it only has 32k on it and I hardly drive it.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Well the used truck dealership I work for buys 3-4 blown up 6.7s a week. And the 11s eat exhaust valves . And with high miles the hpfp goes bad it ruins the whole fuel system and just for parts it's $3500 dollars

The pumps arent really prone to failure. Its a ****ty maintenance factor more than anything. Empty the water separator often, keep the filters changed and buy good fuel. Pretty reliable. Mine still holds full injection pressure like a new one with a stock 11 pump. I am upgrading to a larger pump for testing but besides that I wouldn't touch it.

2wd-fire

Reaction score
Yea but the hpfp is bad in a 6.4 too so I'm not losing anything there. Hopefully they have good lifters and pistons

I agree with the lifters are amazing and Pistons look good also. I'm not trying to be negative I'm just trying to tell you what I see. I would say go for it

2wd-fire

Reaction score
I will also have to disagree.

I have a buddy that has an '11 with over 150k on it and it is still running strong minus a new A/C unit. I also have buddies with '11s that are deleted and still running with no major issues other than normal wear items.

My '11 is also going good but it only has 32k on it and I hardly drive it.

I don't know about deleted trucks they might never have vavle problem. I'm talking bone stock trucks. Hey but the good news ford knows they f up and they sell the whole loaded head for $500 so if it doesn't damage the sleeve it's not so bad
ad9023c0a3c082e48b130246ba776dff.jpg

Last edited:

Delaware6.4

Reaction score
Well unfortunately we see a lot of pics similar to that on a ford forum. I sold the truck today. Got what I asked but I don't think ill own another truck I cared for this much. But I learned my lesson on messing with expensive new trucks when I'm not well enough funded, and that it's way easier to buy a race car vs making an 8000lb truck run 11's and pull a skid loader the same day. So it's to the dealer tom to test drive a new 6.7. Anybody know how big a turbo these thing can handle? Nah I just kiddin, but seriously, how big

Latest posts

Members online