Need HELP ASAP!!

TARM

Reaction score
Was suppose to meet up with Matt and he was going to live tune it why we were visiting. Now that is FUBAR'd as well.

Arisely,

I will be in the Houston, San Antonio Areas. Along that I-10 corridor. We have a family ranch out near Shiner. About 20 miles from the brewery

golfer

Reaction score
have you tried physically unplugging the PATS module under the dash?

(bright green connector/harness)

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Well llooks like I am completely screwed

been out all morning going from salvage yard to salvage yard. No one has anything with a 7.3 period thats 99+. I swear things are conspiring against me.

Unless someone on here lives with in driving distance of Winchester VA that has a PCM I can have or borrow for a month I am done. Will have to go out and have tires put on the minivan flush the tranny and hope we can squeeze everything into and the trans does not go out.

I went and pulled every fuse under the dash. Only thing I found was a blown 20amp to the cigarette light which I knew had stopped working but never dealt with.

It would be great if a miracles happened and someone on here had a PCM and was close by but other than that I am done.

Can not see any reason to call ford as you always have to order them

I also have no way to get it down to ford in time for them to hook it up to see why it blew.

I am almost 100% its a blown PCM. AE will not connect at all. I pulled the batteries for 1hr and that would kill all the codes including hard codes IIRC. Tried the key syn like 15 times.
The ob2 port gets power from one of the lighter plugs. That could be why the scan tool stopped working or was that the fuse for the second plug?

TARM

Reaction score
OK I some how lucked out and a friend I know had a Excursion with a blown engine. I went and got the PCM. IT was a DPC-452 family which is the same I have. I guess this means its the right one.

I swapped them out and I then got the following: ( no chip in)

* a waiting to start light
* Fuel pumps had power.

* Will not start just cranks evenly over and over.

* Another thing. The fuel pumps do not cut off. They just keep running. I have relays to direct power so if the relay was not working they would run even with no key in. So that is good.

This is the same thing that happened when I first had the issue last night. I got the security code and the pumps stayed on.

Dave thank you for telling me where the PATs is I had no idea.

I unplugged it and that took care of any security lights etc BS. But it still does the same thing. Buty now no PATS light at all. So much better. I have no idea how MAtt does his chips for PATs but I always had the Security light flashing for a few mins while driving so I assume he did nothing with it and the TS chip ran like yours does as well.

* When I install the TS Chip I no longer get the waiting to start or pumps. Its just the other lights and of course no start.

The thing I think might help trace the issue is why would the pumps stay on and not turn off? Could a bad or screwy IDM do this?

The thing that started this whole deal was I kept getting IDM codes for high low open.

I swapped IDMS with a salvage yard pull. I ran the buzz test and it came back clear. BUt then upon start up I got a hard cell and it said IDM codes. I cleared them ran the buzz test and it came back clear. Same with Contribution test all good.

I then ran the KEOR key off test and I got a P0605 ROM error. I have heard this can mean a bad PCM or IDM I had thought PCM. It was this error I was trying to diagnose when I screwed up and locked the PCM and PATS BS.

So this is where I am at.

Is there any hope to get this thing running in the next hour or two?

I will go put AE on it and see what I get now that PATS is unplugged.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
OK went out and ran AE.

OF course I forgot there would be a ton of codes on there from the other Excursion. I also did have the engine disable code. I cleared all the codes.

THe fuel pump was still running. I then ran the KEOR key off test. This stopped the fuel pumps. IT came back clean. ON the Exhaust back pressure valve and some other deleted sensor.

I then ran the Buzz test. IT came back clean as well.

I then keyed off and keyed back on and I got the pump on constant and the CEL came back on. But I check codes and all I had was OBM self test did not complete or something like that IIRC it was a P1000 or P0100 The others were just from having a custom turbo etc,

What I do not understand is why it shows a CEL when there is no code I can see that trips a CEL there.

Again Buzz and key off KEOR were both clean other than normal stuff on the key off.

I would think if the IDM were an issue I would have a Buzz test issue. I know I normally do not see an IDM error until you actually start the engine so is it possible there is something there?

Whatever it is it must be tied into this thing with the fuel pump running past the normal 30 sec timer.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Now that I think of it isn't a constant running fuel pump a sign of either a bad or incorrect PCM?

Reaction score
If you don't get a WTS or anything with the chip plugged in, either the chip isn't making good connection (did you clean the J3 port of the new PCM?) or the chip could be fried..

Will it even build ICP or register RPMs? Usually the fuel pump continuously running is caused by a bad PCM and/or chip.

Last edited:

2dedge

Reaction score
When I blew mine up I got the new PCM
But I still had to tow it to ford and have them pair the PCM/PATS/GEM/ and the keys. Only other option would have been to get a chip which disabled the PATS

TARM

Reaction score
Yep Well I am rushing now to get the minvan prepped to go. Had to do a trans flush, filters all the way around. Its now down at Costco getting tires put on. Guess we should be able to leave by 8 PM EST. SO no live tuning and we are going to be cramped in there some what given all the crap 3 women bring. Sucks I was really hoping I could get it back running. But I am farily certain the Chip went tits up same time the PCM did.

@dedge,

I unplugged PATs so no syncing or any of that crap. Never knew anything about sync GEM. Maybe thats whats causing the fuel pump to run on and on and no start. At this point I just do not know.

I still need help as far as why its not starting without the chip but I wanted to thank all of you for jumping on here and trying to help figure this out. Much of it was very helpful now and going forward. Very much appreciate it

2dedge

Reaction score
I bought CSIPSD's old PCM when he swapped over and we tried everything including unplugging the pats but ford is the only ones who can resync everything sorry to be the bearer of the bad news.

Been there done that and he's I fried my chip also at the same time, but I was troubleshooting a no start when cold issue and forgot to shut the key off like an idiot!

Like I said in my other thread the truck started perfect without the chip but won't start with the chip and I was trying to prove it to the tuner.

TARM

Reaction score
Great so no matter what I am going to be paying Ford $100 likely. I just have trouble that there is no way to sync these things without Ford. I would have thought AE would be able to or that there would be a key seq.

SO when you first put the PCM in as I have done the one you got from CSIPSD did you have the pump running without shutting off? If I could know that was part of the GEM sync you are speaking of I would feel much better that I am now not dealing wtih something else wrong such as wrong PCM.

I may have someone sending me a truck IDM and harness so I will be doing away with that damn GPCM once and for all. PATS will never be plugged in again thats for sure as well so good by to that light.

Sucks I had just finally got everything right. The IDM codes all taken care of. Contribution all clean. Finally found a CPS that equals the quality and perf of the old Blacks. I was on a roll. Then I get blind sided by a brick wall. Grrrr......

I am gonna go digging on this Gem thing and see what I can find. DO you think its specific to the Excursion setup as I have not heard of other SD having issue with this sync thing. You have a Excursion I assume?

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
The PCM from the other EX is looking for a PATS signal which its no longer getting since the module is unplugged. Even if you did plug it back in it still would not function because that PCM is not pair to your PATS Module. I would swap in a Truck PCM, leave the PATS unplugged and see what happens.

On my 01 EX I swapped the engine harness out for one from a late 99 truck with glow plug relay. Initially I didn't have a chance to swap the the PCM'S also, so I ran the EX PCM with the truck wiring (and PATS plugged in). The EX PCM controls the regular relay just fine (but has codes). Eventually I swapped the EX PCM for a "CKX0" DPc-422 PCM from an 01 Truck. This took care of all my codes but I then started getting a the Flashing PATS light. I unplugged the PATS module and bam no more irritating light. I ended up with No more PATS or PATS light, no codes and a replay instead of a GPCM.

Oh and I didnt pay Ford to flash anything. It was all plug and play. The EX PCM and PATs module are what need to be sync'd. If you swap to a truck PCM and unplug the PATS then nothing need flashed by Ford

If you end up needing a EX PCM I have a perfectly good one sitting in my attic that I'll definitely never use again.

David

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
David,

THANK YOU. that is what I needed to know. THat is then what I will be doing. Truck PCM and Wiring harness.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
No problem. Just for reference the the PCM is the one deciding what to do with the PATS signal and to let it start or not. When the chip is installed its overriding the PCM and basically making the programing more like a truck PCM in the sense that it no longer looks for a PATS signal to start. This is why you get the flashing Security light on the dash with the chip. The Pats Module is trying to communicate with the PCM but the PCM no longer cares what the PATS module is doing so the PATS module starts flashing its light to say something is wrong.

co04cobra

Reaction score
:whs: Thats what I was about to say too. Basically PCM from the other EX is looking for a that key. If the other EX had a key you could have swapped ignitions and that should have made it where you could use that PCM. I don't recall the EX systems being tied to the instrument cluster. Some of Fords PATS systems are tied to the pcm, cluster, and key.

And I'm about 2 hrs from you. I think Ive got a truck pcm that would have worked. Any late 99-01 should/could have worked.

Arisley

Reaction score
Might get the PATS module from the same friend that you got the PCM from. I think I remember seeing where you could program PATS keys with AE. Make everything work with the new PATS, unplug the PATS and see if it will fire.

ClassicIDI

Reaction score
There is a PATS programming feature in AE but I have always been hesitant to use it. Several years ago I was playing around with my AE in the GEM module and turned the "electric 4x4 shift" feature off. (I was trying to do this so it would stop throwing soft codes after I converted my truck to the Floor shifter) Well that part worked fine but immediately after I did that my power windows stopped working. At the time I was working for Ford so I drove the truck in and used a VCM/IDS and reprogrammed the GEM. Everything worked fine after a factory Reprogram (and I got rid of my 4x4 shift codes). Ever since then I have been hesitant to use AE to reprogram anything. Now granted that was several years ago and AE has updated many times since then so maybe they fixed the bugs.

Latest posts

Members online