Need help with this operating temp issue.

BigT813

Reaction score
So my 6.0 runs fine when I start her up. She idles great and my Edge Insight says all is well with the FICM and ICP. But when I get up to operating Temps like 220 while driving it will dive into limp mode.

I got a cylinder 2 contribution code and low boost code. Figured it was the CAC tubing and replaced that. Cleared the codes and she ran great again til operating Temps then did it again.

This time got cylinder 7 and cylinder 5 and 6 contribution codes. I changed the blue spring kit into the FPR and ran great til I got her up to operating temp.

Could this be my EGR or am I really losing that man injectors. I just bought the truck from Ford and they did all the the matinanace on it they say.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
The engine will defuel at 221 *F coolant and 253 *F oil - programmed into the PCM

BigT813

Reaction score
How do I fix this issue :/ or is it that I have a bad oil cooler or something? Thank you for your reply

BigT813

Reaction score
If I shut it off for a second and let it cool for a second it starts back up no problem. Could this mean It's time for that egr to be ******d?

bismic

Reaction score
High coolant temperatures have nothing to do with the oil cooler.

Possibilities:
Bad temperature sensor
Bad thermostat
Weak water pump
Blocked radiator

Removing the EGR can reduce the heat load and possibly reduce the coolant temp, but your radiator should handle the heat load if it is working as designed.

Last edited:

BigT813

Reaction score
OK thank you very much! I appreciate all your help. I'm gonna go through and start knocking some of these fixes out and see if she clears up.

BigT813

Reaction score
So I guess my temps were not what was causing the truck to act up.

Today I was driving her watching the temps and at around 185 degrees on both my various starts to idle rough and bam she dies. I pull into a wing house enjoy some beers and chick's half dressed then went home and got a game plan together.

Headed up there and she turned right over like nothing was wrong and just left me with these codes.

Any idea on where I should start shooting for Probs? Thank you guys so much for all the help
20170322_202137.jpg

bismic

Reaction score
What year model truck?

Can you monitor and post the following (when you see the problem start):

ICP volts
ICP pressure
ICP desired
IPR % duty cycle
FICM MPower
FICM LPower

The dying like you describe is frequently FICM or IPR related.

Also, get the codes scanned from someplace with a good scan tool.

BigT813

Reaction score
OK will do I will post tomorrow when I get to the truck. FICM is always around 48v constantly.

2005 Excursion 6.0
I will have the rest for you tomorrow afternoon.

Latest posts

Members online