Need some advice...

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
I just wound up with new neighbors, and he has an '02 SD f350 190,000 miles, very nice clean truck (SRW), auto, Stone Stock.

He decided to wash the engine it a couple days ago, and of course now it's not running right.... I think mayhap I can help him solve that..... the advice I need is for what mods you would think of doing to build a good Solid tow rig, (he has a 36 foot 5er).

I have searched out several threads about the PMR problems, and done some reading, and have come to the conclusion that an good Regulated Return, an Intake, a good exhaust, a TS chip, and possibly a 38r would be about the limit.....BUT....with 190k, and the origional injectors, he's about to need a set, right ? So, ...Stage I's ?...new Stockers ? ...I'm kinda inna quandry as to what to recommend here....

Also, I'm a big fan of the Fluidampr, and have one on my '97, (smoothed it out some)...and was wondering if putting one on would help the PMR engines hold together a bit better ?

Interested in hearing your thoughts...

Thanks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
38r
4" exhaust
freshen up the stock injectors
make sure hpop is kosher
same with fuel pump
trans upgrades
custom tunes...

thats all i would do if i had to do it all over again and needed a solid tow pig.

these trucks are very reliable in stock form and after you do more than what i said above, they start getting finicky.

live life full throttle

Denver

Reaction score
Whats it doing that is making it not run right? Miss? skip? lope? For making it a tow rig I would start with a John Wood tow master trans, then exhaust, AIS intake, gauges and a chip from gearhead. Then from there replace parts as needed. I wouldn't worry about the engine having 190K. We have 3 7.3s with over 190K miles on original injectors and they run fine. If you are concerned about the truck I would take it to JW and have him look over it. If you do decide to have the trans rebuilt have him install a chip at the same time and he'll get it dialed in perfect.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
wouldnt even bother with AC's unless trying to make power.... these trucks tow and run good stock. leave it close to stock so that nothing else has problem... that way you dont need custom tunes to run different injectors and if need be you can run it without the tunes back in stock form... the 38r and a good tune will make a dam good tow pig and still be peppy. if its been stock that long he will love a good tune and turbo.

live life full throttle

mandkole

Reaction score
I understand your excitement, but I wouldnt try to move a bunch of mods on the guy...He'd already have them if he was that interested. Let the way the truck runs with some tunes guide him. Suggest dipping his toe in with that, gauges, and some mild trans upgrades, then go from there.

If he gets hooked, then start making a plan.

Oh, pull any codes, blow the water out of the connectors to help sort out the running issue.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
400 - 400's ? WooHoo ! You Da Bomb Cary !

I scanned it, and it had no codes...

I got it running fine today, and found his REAL problem..... The engine smoothed right out after cleaning all the damn connectors, and changing the GUNK he called oil....
it got a load of Valvoline Premium Blue, and hunkered down and started purrin' like a pussy cat...

crawled underneath with it in neutral with the brake set and found the rear driveline about to fly outta it.....all three u-joints are toast....back one hadda 1/8th inch play....

"I think it's got a little ViBRaTioN..... *SIGH* .... don't anybody crawl UNDER a truck anymore ?

yeah, I think maybe a 38r, good intake - exhaust, anda chip is all that's needed here....and from what most of you have said, that'll make him a good towing rig....he's going to stuff a BTS in it as soon as possible...

thanks Gents....

Latest posts

Members online