Need some advise on Smog in california.

Moto9673

Reaction score
Ok guys,

My job is relocating me to southern california. So my question is am i going to have trouble getting it to pass. My truck has a T4 turbo set up with a s366sxe, 175/80 PIS injectors, MB hpop, R&R fuel. 4'' turbo back exhaust, Hydra, am i going to have issues trying to get it registered in CA.

bhudson

Reaction score
Probably. Ask Mike from no limit, he'd probably know. Don't do it is my advice. Where are you moving from?

Moto9673

Reaction score
If its going to be that much of a problem. I will either put my truck back to stock, Sell truck, or try to leave it registered in AZ.

Grey_Matter

Reaction score
just keep your arizona plates and id, and go back when you need to renew the plates since your id is good for like 40 years

bhudson

Reaction score
just keep your arizona plates and id, and go back when you need to renew the plates since your id is good for like 40 years
What he said. You can keep your AZ drivers license and registration. You can renew online in AZ so it won't be an issue. I used to live out there and did that for a while till I moved to alabama and they don't give a **** down here anyway. It's gonna cost you so much $$$ to do it the ca way

Moto9673

Reaction score
Not really. if you live outside maricopa county (phoenix) Ya that would work. But inside maricopa county you have go though smog every year. My thinking is what if i go back to a late 99 set up with like a KC66 or a 38r looks stockish turbo.

bhudson

Reaction score
Oh ****, guess that's the issue. I lived in Tucson when I was out that way. No chance of finding something else where you're at?

Moto9673

Reaction score
Im not sure. i Have put some much time and effort into this truck and i don't owe a dime on it. The motor and trans only have 20000 miles on them total. So I would take a huge bath on trading it in on a new $50000 truck.

HBDELUX

Reaction score
Late 99 w/38r is fine in CA. That strictly diesel RR might be an issue in Ca though.

If u wanna go late 38R route and interested in a swap plus a little cash hit me up with a pm. Been thinking about going T4 lately, no real reason other than my truck is just something to entertain myself with. My set up is a 38R w/ Riff Raff 6x6 Billet comp wheel, garrett non evbp pedistal, garret high flow outlet, and Dorman bellow uppipes.

superpsd

Reaction score
I would think a stock appearing turbo like a 38R would get you by maybe. Might comb thru the truck and make it appear stock a possible. Make sure to leave it in a clean stockish tune and hide evidence of a chip. I would throw a stock exhaust system back on it with cat? And stock muffler, stock intake etc...

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Dontneed a muffler, a stock appearing turbo/intake x etc will go a long ways. A smoke free snap test tune, and if your truck came with a cat, weldit to whatever pipe is in there now. Hidethe chip, make sure the check engine light comes on with key on, and your rev limiter js at stockish. Lrobabl drive down a few dirt roads to coat all your aftermarket stuff in a nice coat of dust so it dont look like heyve been screwed with recently. They may plug in, i know they did on my 6.0 when i lived there, so make sure there arent any codes.

redneck1

Reaction score
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/archive/index.php/t-24.html

Thought this might be of interest. Eo number for your hydra, then you wouldn't have to worry about smog. Just get a smoke free tune and you'd be fine. They only plug in 7.3 trucks to get the vin verified, as there are federal trucks registered in CA with no emissions from factory. When I last smogged my 7.3, he never even did a smoke test or looked under the hood. Just depends where you smog it and how picky the guy is.

Beyond the edge of reason

jbolen323

Reaction score
Not really. if you live outside maricopa county (phoenix) Ya that would work. But inside maricopa county you have go though smog every year. My thinking is what if i go back to a late 99 set up with like a KC66 or a 38r looks stockish turbo.

i would just drive back once a year, keep a PO box locally here. as long as you have state plates you can be exempt from stories ive heard... or multiple residents. Even if you go back to stock, theyll bust your balls on anything possible. If not now give it a year, or two. Nazi-fornia

Mike_D

Reaction score
What county are you moving into? There are multiple CA counties that do not require diesel smog. Plumas County, Lake County etc.

You can google it and find a list of exempt counties.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
The T4 kit and regulated return will be the things that will likely fail you. Really depends on the tech checking out the engine bay though. I have a 38R on my truck and have passed every time.

You will need to hide the chip switch or remove the chip though. The link posted above is not a CARB EO number for the Hydra chip. It is for the Edge Evolution, CTS, and CS.

Latest posts

Members online