Need Suggestions and a list if possible

06eff2fiddy

Reaction score
Ok guys here's what's up. I have an 06 CCSB Lariat with the 6.0. It's got approximately 109k miles on it. Since I've had it, I've had the turbo pipe boots replaced (Can't think of the names of them), the dummy plugs and stand pipes replaced, oil changed, fuel filter changed, and air filter changed as well as replaced the old batteries with a pair of XS Power D6500's. I have a Singer 380A H/O alt sitting at home ready to go in it, just haven't had the time yet.

The owner before me had it and didn't do anything with it. Maintained it but didn't do any of the "fixes" nor anything aftermarket. It was driven daily about 5-8 miles for work, and then on the weekends, 2 to 3 weekends per month, pulled a 27' travel trailer.

We just purchased a 32' Travel Trailer last weekend, and next month she's going in for a 6" lift and 37's wrapped around 20" wheels. We already have 4 camping trips planned for the summer.

Once the lift and stuff are done, I'm going to be looking into SCT Programmer, Exhaust, intake etc. I was even thinking of upgrading the turbo. But I'm not sure on this one. I haven't done much research. I saw some stuff about a powermax or something like that. But I'm going to do more research on it.

Here are my concerns and questions:

As far as I can tell or know, the head gaskets are original. The original or at least stock TTY bolts are still on it, not studs. I also know that nothing else has been done to it, blue spring, oil cooler, egr cooler, STC fitting, no rad filter, etc. It's pretty much bone stock.

Should I consider doing the heads and studs before any exhaust, intake or programmer, etc goes on it? Or is that something I'm going to know happens when it happens and just wait until then, with the off chance I have the luck that it will last a while longer? I'm sure it's like playing russian reulet with it, but I'm just wondering what the census is?

If I go through with it before hand, I'm pretty sure that the rest of it should be done all at once since I'm in there correct?

If I am to go through with it all, can you all give me a list of things that really "should be" changed? I'm not rolling in dough but I'm guessing the BulletProof stuff is the way to go. Could I go with the OEM Type cooler from them, or am I just masking the problem doing it that way?

My list looks like this:

Head Gaskets
ARP Studs
Heads Machined
Injectors (I've seen people change these out when add ons are done, do I need them, I'm not racing or anything just want power when I need it)
Blue Spring kit
Egr Cooler
Oil Cooler
STC Fitting
Oil Cooler screen (I don't think this is right, is it HPOP, going off of memory)
Coolant Filter kit

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. What am I missing?

I am just finishing up a top half rebuild on my 94 F250 with a 7.5L motor. I know the Diesel is a whole other world and monster. I'm not going in naked, so to speak. So I can and would do the majority of the work on my own. Most likely when this truck is done so that I have another vehicle to tow with and drive while the 6.0 is pulled apart.

I appreciate anything you guys can help me with as far as this goes. Sorry about the long post, wanted to give you all as much information as I could.

Thanks,
Scott

Ken6.0

Reaction score
Scott,

Depending if you have the extra cash to throw at it would be the deciding factor on what route to take. If you want to wait then...

First thing is what color is your coolant? If it has the gold coolant flush it and replace with a CAT EC-1 rated coolant like rotella and install a coolant filter.

Do you have any gauges to see things such as EOT, ECT, FICM voltage? This is key when having the 6.0 to see whats going on and just not the factory dummy gauges. If not you can go the cheap but effective route and pick up a OBDII bluetooth sender and torque pro app for your "smartphone". You will be able to check your deltas to know if you have a oil cooler problem from using the wrong coolant as well. Deltas should be no more than 15 degrees.

Blue spring is very simple to install.

This truck lives on its oil and most will recommend full synthetic (i like rotella t6) every 5k miles

Im still running stock bolts at 170xxx now but might change them and only had to replace 2 injectors the whole time. Proper maintenance and Motorcraft filters will take you a long ways. You can get a SCT tuner (highly recommend) that has gauges and can run a canned tune for stock bolts.

06eff2fiddy

Reaction score
Sorry it was a long weekend of my daughters softball games.

I don't know what color it is, I didn't look. But I can tonight.

I do not have gauges, but it's on my short term list of things to get. I was thinking of making a gauge cluster to go on my dash, above my radio area. Custom thing. I just wasn't sure 100% what gauges I should get. EOT, ECT, and FICM are the main ones I need? If there's anything else that's important I'd like to add those too. My wife said, well doesn't it have gauges on the dash already. I said yes, but they don't give an accurate reading. It's basically a "close enough" gauge. It's a guessing game.

Blue Spring looks fairly simple. I was going to order that up this week.

I'm also getting close to time for an oil change, so I'll look into the Rotella. I just bought some for my 7.5L gasser.

Ok, well if you or anyone else has any other suggestions for things to look at I'd like to hear them. I don't think I'm going to go through with the studs etc right now. I don't have the money to really tear into it and do part of it, and then have to tear into it again later. I think I'll start piecing this stuff together so I can get into her, and change the gaskets, studs, and everything else while I'm in there at once, then I'll have a better piece of mind that it'll last me a lot longer.

Also, as far as an SCT Programmer, does that come with a screen? Is there some way I can do a tablet for a screen? I'm planning a custom tablet mount in the dash, and if I could use that, it would be great. But if not then that's fine too. Just need to know if I need anything specific for a screen.

Thanks guys!

06eff2fiddy

Reaction score
How would I hook up a gauge for the FICM? Is that just a volt meter gauge and I tap the wires?

Reaction score
Something you could look into for monitoring is an edge CTS. I just got one the other day and I love it. It reads just about everything, as long as it's something your trucks computer monitors. It would read your FICM voltage as well. Fairly cheap compared to doing all analog gauges if you're not set on that route.

bbessette213

Reaction score
X2 on this ^^ edge cts is your best option less clutter on the dash and it's expandable. (Adding on extras like egt frp all the good stuff) good set of gauges and strick maintenance schedule. The truck will last. :) last 6.0 I had went 325k on stock injectors. I'd still have that single cab if a family didn't come into play. Need more room out went the single cab in with the crew cab.

06eff2fiddy

Reaction score
I'm not set on it no. I was actually just looking at that too. The other thing I was looking at was the SCT Performance iTSX /TSX for android. http://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=65&VID=

I was actually looking at the other one which is 50 state legal, but no tunes can be held on it obviously. Also doesn't look like the 6.0 is supported. Says a 6.8, which I didn't know there was such a thing. SO I don't know.

I don't need much for tuning, I'm not doing any racing etc. I'd like the ability to control towing and driving around town. Otherwise I don't need it for much else. But with doing my custom tablet install, it'd be kind of nice to have that right there to observe in front of me.

swinky

Reaction score
I'm very happy with my scangauge
af03935a646036861b8b37df25e82eca.jpg

Also a 32' travel trailer can get a little on the heavy side. I would rethink the 37" tires personally.

06eff2fiddy

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little more Swinky? Why should I rethink 37's?

And I've had a scangauge II, when I had my lil civic. Was a nice tool, but for this I was thinking of something a little more custom. I like the thought of the gauges going along the top of the dash panel over the head unit. But it's a good tool, don't get me wrong.

swinky

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little more Swinky? Why should I rethink 37's?

And I've had a scangauge II, when I had my lil civic. Was a nice tool, but for this I was thinking of something a little more custom. I like the thought of the gauges going along the top of the dash panel over the head unit. But it's a good tool, don't get me wrong.
You might want a cts then. I still have gauges for egt and boost but the scangauge is nice for icp, ipr, ficm and all that crap.

37s is just a tall tire. My dad has a bumper pull 33' trailer and is going down to 33s from 35s because he doesn't like the braking while towing. He's old and picky though lol

06eff2fiddy

Reaction score
Even with the trailer brakes and brake controller? I can damn near stop the entire rig with my BC and TB's now and not using any truck brakes. Not that I do it to stop, but just setting it and knowing that if I needed to I can just pinch the brake controller paddles and can get her stopped or slowed down.

swinky

Reaction score
Even with the trailer brakes and brake controller? I can damn near stop the entire rig with my BC and TB's now and not using any truck brakes. Not that I do it to stop, but just setting it and knowing that if I needed to I can just pinch the brake controller paddles and can get her stopped or slowed down.
I guess so. I'll have to ask him. My truck doesn't even have a hitch lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.