New engine, no power to HFCM, any ideas?

ATS7

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out...I just finished building and installing a newly built engine in my 07 F550 SD, got everything buttoned up yesterday and after several attempts to fire it, it's a no go. I poked around a little and found that the fuel pump was not getting power to it...before I go to much further, here's a summary of what's been done with the truck...

I bought the truck about a year ago, it was not running at the time due to a cracked block. Long story short, I basically went through the entire truck from front to back. I brought it in the shop, put it up on the lift and removed the engine/drivetrain. Bought a new block and cam from Ford, I had a friend of mine do the machine work then I assembled it using the Ford rebuild kit, everything was replaced with new internally besides the crank. I did ARP head studs, new HPOP, EGR delete, (block off), every sensor was replaced with new, ( including ICP, IPR). I had the guys over at Warren Diesel build me a set of 155cc injectors, sent my new turbo to Adrian @ MTW and had him build me a stage 1, I went with a Spearco intercooler, CFM intake, 4" turbo back exhaust, oil and coolant bypass filtration, and was planning to order tunes this week, (SCT). Basically the only things not replaced were the FICM,(tested good), the ac compressor, and the altenator, (ordering that this week too).

So I finished installing the engine last week, topped off all fluids, drained and cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced with new fuel, put 2 brand new Motorcraft batteries in it and finally installed a new HFCM. I tried starting it yesterday and after several attempts it wasn't firing. I have good LPO on guage, good RPM's, I pulled the filter caps off both fuel and oil, oil looked good but no fuel in bowl, completely dry. I cycled the key to listen for the fuel pump and nothing, so I checked all fuses, FP relay, inertia switch, PCM relay, ect. and they all seem fine, I even checked out the plug at the tank sending unit. Then I had a friend crank the truck over while I applied power to the pump from an external source and she fired right up but then died after I cut power. I looked into it a little further and got the schematics for the FP circutry but it looks pretty involved. It also says the PCM controls the FP and can cause this issue...has anyone ever experienced this or heard of a bad PCM causing a FP issue? I'm ready to throw in the towel...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!

ATS7

Reaction score
Yeah I checked that also...at this point I'm thinkin PCM maybe or possibly the inertia/shutoff switch. Gonna check the switch with a meter to see if that checks out next otherwise kinda stumped...not a fan of electrical..

jdc753

Reaction score
Very curious on what you find out as I have a friend who is battling a nearly identical situation.

gstew

Reaction score
If the inertia switch test's ok then you will more than likely need to replace the central junction box. The relay is located inside and is not serviceable alone.

jdc753

Reaction score
If the inertia switch test's ok then you will more than likely need to replace the central junction box. The relay is located inside and is not serviceable alone.

How much does that cost? and is there a way to positively determine that is the failed part without just swapping parts?

ATS7

Reaction score
I spent a few hrs on it lastnight chasing wires and testing pins from plug harnesses according to the manual and it's lookin like it may be the PCM. I got a few more things to check out today than I should have it narrowed down...I'll post my results.

jdc753

Reaction score
Please do post them up. For my friend I am afraid it is his PCM, which I can't imagine is too cheap, the kicker for me on his is that his SCT will no longer communicate with the truck. He just wants to be absolutely sure before he replaces parts.

Best of luck on yours.

ATS7

Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of used PCM's out there that are fairly reasonable but not sure if I am 100% comfortable with used electrical parts unless it's a reputable company, if not I'm pretty sure there around a grand +/- from Ford. As far as the testing goes, I've just been following the service manual tech procedure. Like you mentioned, I'd like to be sure it's a bad PCM before swapping parts out. A friend of mine has the AE scan tool he's gonna bring by tomorrow morning...hopefully that confirms the problem.

ATS7

Reaction score
Hopefully I will have a solid answer in the next day or so...I'll post results as soon as I find out.

Charles

Reaction score
Before I would pony up for a PCM on a truck that ran fine otherwise, I might just grab a key on source and kick a 5 dollar relay on the frame for the pump...

Run it through the inertia switch in the passenger's side kick panel if you want the switch to kill the pump in a wreck.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I've heard that the PCM basically becomes blank if it sits unhooked from batteries for a while. Might be worth trying to have your PCM flashed at Ford. Seems like someone else just had this problem not too long ago.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I've heard that the PCM basically becomes blank if it sits unhooked from batteries for a while. Might be worth trying to have your PCM flashed at Ford. Seems like someone else just had this problem not too long ago.

I've never heard of that, I know of multiple trucks that have sat in pieces for years and not had an issue when put back together. That would really suck if that is the case though!

Charles

Reaction score
I've never heard of that, I know of multiple trucks that have sat in pieces for years and not had an issue when put back together. That would really suck if that is the case though!

If the PCM were blank I find it hard to imagine how the engine fired right up when he powered the fuel pump remotely...

Mdub707

Reaction score

I had not either, someone on dieselbombers said this a while ago, and I told them they were crazy that couldn't happen. Said he went to Ford, got it flashed, truck was fine after... never heard of it before that, and still found it hard to believe, but I couldn't exactly argue with the guy that just had it happen.

If the PCM were blank I find it hard to imagine how the engine fired right up when he powered the fuel pump remotely...

LOL, totally missed that part.

Latest posts

Members online