New exhaust on my truck and......

RBernardi

Reaction score
So Saturday i finally got rid of my factory muffler, and put on some 5" exhaust. I'm not sure if its just me, but it seems to have lost some power? Any suggestions?

cw96stroker

Reaction score
shouldn't have really made a that big of a difference imo... get bigger injectors lol. Idk man, what are you reading for back pressure?

StrokerTurbo7.3

Reaction score
It's just you. Am exhaust won't make a big difference imo. Now a downpipe yes there will be a difference. Get a custom chip and you will get your lost power(none) back and gain more.:D

Gootee

Reaction score
My old truck felt the same way. Put a muffler on and it felt better. My opinion, it's in our heads from hearing tons of noise an not goin anywere

Strokerturbo has a good remedy!

RBernardi

Reaction score
It's just you. Am exhaust won't make a big difference imo. Now a downpipe yes there will be a difference. Get a custom chip and you will get your lost power(none) back and gain more.:D

lol yes this is the next on the to do list. i figured i was imagining the power loss, but needed some reassurence. thanks guys

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
lol yes this is the next on the to do list. i figured i was imagining the power loss, but needed some reassurence. thanks guys

When your ready for a chip let me know, carry TS chips with Tony wildman and Swamps tunes.

PStroked444

Reaction score
:shrug: Simply for the sake of arguement....when I went to the 4" i felt a low-end power loss. Coming out of the hole I lost power. So I wrapped my uppipes and got a turbo blanket and wrapped down my down pipe. I regained my lowend TQ and SOP feeling. I almost went back to the stock DP so I could help keep some of the exhaust velosity up through the turbo. I have heard of people doing this before. Some of the turbo cars I used to work around went to a smaller exhaust size to keep velocity up cause the air was actualy slowing spool up. JMHO I am no expert......

RBernardi

Reaction score
:shrug: Simply for the sake of arguement....when I went to the 4" i felt a low-end power loss. Coming out of the hole I lost power. So I wrapped my uppipes and got a turbo blanket and wrapped down my down pipe. I regained my lowend TQ and SOP feeling. I almost went back to the stock DP so I could help keep some of the exhaust velosity up through the turbo. I have heard of people doing this before. Some of the turbo cars I used to work around went to a smaller exhaust size to keep velocity up cause the air was actualy slowing spool up. JMHO I am no expert......

A guy I was talking to the other day said these older psd's like a little back pressure. I know for a V8 yeah theres a line between too much back pressure and not enough. I'm new to the diesel scene, and my understanding was to pretty much open them up.
My truck had a 3 1/2" dp and stock 3 1/2" exhaust back. I kept the dp the same, just went to 5" there back.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The turbo should provide all the back pressure it needs. At least that is what I've always been told.

Yup. Anybody who tells you to put the stock OBS downpipe back on is crazy. Anything in place passed the turbine outlet to restrict flow to "help build velocity" is gonna hinder performance and cause sky high EGT's

Latest posts

Members online