New from Montana, New to diesels

MT_Diesel

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Ryan and I’m getting ready to buy my first diesel (of course it’s a powerstroke!). Since this is my first diesel, I’m looking for any tips or advice for owning a diesel, especially in a cold climate like Montana.

The Truck
I’m flying out to Illinois to pick up a built 2008 F350. I was looking for a low mile, immaculate truck that was as built as I could get - I wanna feel the power of the 6.4 while also improving reliability. The truck has a few more miles than I wanted but is in pretty good condition and is mechanically exactly what I wanted. Here we go…

2008 F350 Lariat CCLB, black ext., stone int., 108,000 miles, 7k miles on engine build, 14k miles on transmission build, I just had it inspected by RCD, has the following:
New factory heads
RCD high rev springs
RCD pushrods
Decked the block
ARP studs
OEM Lifters
Colt Stage 2 cam
New fly cut & coated 0.030 over pistons
Diesel Dr. duel fueler kit
Flow balanced remaned injectors
60% nozzles
Elite Diesel fuel bowl delete
FASS 160 lpfp
Elite Tow Power Plus 72mm atmo turbo
Stock VGT
Stock intake manifold
Rudy's 6.0 exhaust manifolds
Rudy's uppipes
4” downpipe
5” exhaust
No Limit CAI
No Limit cold side pipe w/ intake elbow
Mishimoto radiator
SCT tuner with RCD & Innovative tunes
Spartan Dashdaq Tuner
Rudy’s built transmission – Billet input & intermediate shafts, and low/reverse hub
RCD torque converter
Mag Hytec transmission pan
Icon 2.5” level kit with 4-link
Icon 2.0 non-reservoir shocks
Amp steps
OUO long gusset traction bars
5” OUO rear blocks
Blacked out badges
Smoked headlights (gone as soon as I get it)
Smoked recon all around
Hard sliding tonneau cover
20% tint

Tips, Tricks & Advice
I’ve never owned a diesel, but I’ve researched a lot (literally measured in months of time reading) on PSA and other diesel forums. I plan on oil changes every 5k until Blackstone tells me I can stretch it. I’m not even gonna ask about oil – I know how to use the search function. I know some of the other common problems with the 6.4, however; I believe most of them have been addressed (DPF, EGR, valve train, pistons, etc.).

What can you offer me as far as advice for a new diesel owner? I’ve gotta drive it 2,000 miles, in winter, to get home. What do I need to know? I’m planning on taking some basic tools with me – do I need SAE, metric, or both? Will typical 3/8” ratchet sockets be sufficient for the most basic troubleshooting on the road (remember I’m flying out there so weight is an issue)?

I know some of these will seem like REALLY dumb questions. I’ve learned the advanced stuff here at PSA but don’t know some of the most basic stuff. Forgive my ignorance!
Specific questions that come to mind are:
Fuel gelling – when do I need to worry about it, what additives do I need to combat it.
Fuel additives – I also know how to use the search function here but a simple yea or nay would help.
How often should I change the FASS fuel filters? 10k like stock filters?
How often should I check the fuel water separator? Monthly?
What is barking the turbo and how do I avoid it? I gather it is caused by letting off quickly at or near WOT. Is this the same as turbo surge?
What gauges should I monitor on the dashdaq?
What is the max EGT I should let it get to and for how long (eg. 1500 for less than a few seconds)?
Any other max/min values to watch for on other gauges (EOT, EGT, rail pressure, EPB, boost, etc.)?
What EGT should I let it get down to before shutting it off?
What temp (EOT or ECT?) should I let it get up to before I start driving in the morning?
Anything else I need to know for the health of the turbos or motor?
Below what temp should I plug in the block heater?
Should I run a grille cover in winter like some of the older Cummins trucks seem to or is that not needed on a modern diesel?
Does everyone use #2 diesel? Around here they have #1, #2, and a 50/50 blend.
Coming from gas vehicles my whole life, if I make the dreaded mistake of putting gas in it when I’m half asleep, I assume I should drop and empty the tank entirely before starting the motor?

Thanks to all who took to time to read this lengthy post. Thanks even more to those of you who take the time to offer tips and advice. I’m looking forward joining the ranks of diesel truck owners (I’ve only been wanting one for 20 years or so).

I’ll post more pics and update my sig when I actually get the truck

Attachments

• IMG_0037[1]-Med.JPG
    IMG_0037[1]-Med.JPG
    837.4 KB · Views: 53

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Ryan and I’m getting ready to buy my first diesel (of course it’s a powerstroke!). Since this is my first diesel, I’m looking for any tips or advice for owning a diesel, especially in a cold climate like Montana.

The Truck
I’m flying out to Illinois to pick up a built 2008 F350. I was looking for a low mile, immaculate truck that was as built as I could get - I wanna feel the power of the 6.4 while also improving reliability. The truck has a few more miles than I wanted but is in pretty good condition and is mechanically exactly what I wanted. Here we go…

2008 F350 Lariat CCLB, black ext., stone int., 108,000 miles, 7k miles on engine build, 14k miles on transmission build, I just had it inspected by RCD, has the following:
New factory heads
RCD high rev springs
RCD pushrods
Decked the block
ARP studs
OEM Lifters
Colt Stage 2 cam
New fly cut & coated 0.030 over pistons
Diesel Dr. duel fueler kit
Flow balanced remaned injectors
60% nozzles
Elite Diesel fuel bowl delete
FASS 160 lpfp
Elite Tow Power Plus 72mm atmo turbo
Stock VGT
Stock intake manifold
Rudy's 6.0 exhaust manifolds
Rudy's uppipes
4” downpipe
5” exhaust
No Limit CAI
No Limit cold side pipe w/ intake elbow
Mishimoto radiator
SCT tuner with RCD & Innovative tunes
Spartan Dashdaq Tuner
Rudy’s built transmission – Billet input & intermediate shafts, and low/reverse hub
RCD torque converter
Mag Hytec transmission pan
Icon 2.5” level kit with 4-link
Icon 2.0 non-reservoir shocks
Amp steps
OUO long gusset traction bars
5” OUO rear blocks
Blacked out badges
Smoked headlights (gone as soon as I get it)
Smoked recon all around
Hard sliding tonneau cover
20% tint

Tips, Tricks & Advice
I’ve never owned a diesel, but I’ve researched a lot (literally measured in months of time reading) on PSA and other diesel forums. I plan on oil changes every 5k until Blackstone tells me I can stretch it. I’m not even gonna ask about oil – I know how to use the search function. I know some of the other common problems with the 6.4, however; I believe most of them have been addressed (DPF, EGR, valve train, pistons, etc.).

What can you offer me as far as advice for a new diesel owner? I’ve gotta drive it 2,000 miles, in winter, to get home. What do I need to know? I’m planning on taking some basic tools with me – do I need SAE, metric, or both? Will typical 3/8” ratchet sockets be sufficient for the most basic troubleshooting on the road (remember I’m flying out there so weight is an issue)?

I know some of these will seem like REALLY dumb questions. I’ve learned the advanced stuff here at PSA but don’t know some of the most basic stuff. Forgive my ignorance!
Fuel gelling – when do I need to worry about it, what additives do I need to combat it.
Fuel additives – I also know how to use the search function here but a simple yea or nay would help.
What is barking the turbo and how do I avoid it? I gather it is caused by letting off quickly at or near WOT. Is this the same as turbo surge?
What gauges should I monitor on the dashdaq?
What is the max EGT I should let it get to and for how long (eg. 1500 for less than a few seconds)?
Any other max/min values to watch for on other gauges (EOT, EGT, rail pressure, EPB, boost, etc.)?
What temp (EOT or ECT?) should I let it get up to before I start driving in the morning?
Below what temp should I plug in the block heater?
Should I run a grille cover in winter like some of the older Cummins trucks seem to or is that not needed on a modern diesel?
Does everyone use #2 diesel? Around here they have #1, #2, and a 50/50 blend.
Coming from gas vehicles my whole life, if I make the dreaded mistake of putting gas in it when I’m half asleep, I assume I should drop and empty the tank entirely before starting the motor?

Thanks to all who took to time to read this lengthy post. Thanks even more to those of you who take the time to offer tips and advice. I’m looking forward joining the ranks of diesel truck owners (I’ve only been wanting one for 20 years or so).

I’ll post more pics and update my sig when I actually get the truck

Welcome to PSA and to the powerstroke family looks like that truck got a few mods,has reliability in mind and is built right and has all the reliability parts are covered you should have some fun with it. Change the oil and filters every 5K let the truck cool for at least 5 mins before shutting down. Watch you egts,trans temp,oil temp etc as for top egt you got a 72mm atmo so egts shouldn't be a problem but just in case I wouldn't let it get over 1300 for a few seconds (short burst are fine) Rail pressure you should be fine as its got a dual fueler with the nozzles.

Last edited:

MT_Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! And keep the tips coming - I want to learn.

Welcome to PSA and to the powerstroke family looks like that truck got a few mods,has reliability in mind and is built right and has all the reliability parts are covered you should have some fun with it. Change the oil and filters every 5K let the truck cool for at least 5 mins before shutting down. Watch you egts,trans temp,oil temp etc as for top egt you got a 72mm atmo so egts shouldn't be a problem but just in case I wouldn't let it get over 1300 for a few seconds (short burst are fine) Rail pressure you should be fine as its got a dual fueler with the nozzles.

Thanks for the advice!

Welcome to PSA. Sounds like a great reliable build.

Yeah, I'm hoping it addresses the more common problem areas. It is definitely a sweet build and it's the only one I have seen for sale that is this built on a long bed (which was a must). Thanks.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome! And keep the tips coming - I want to learn.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I'm hoping it addresses the more common problem areas. It is definitely a sweet build and it's the only one I have seen for sale that is this built on a long bed (which was a must). Thanks.

No problem enjoy the truck.

sootie

Reaction score
sick truck. just needs wheels and tires. with that much fuel on tap i would upsize the turbos right away. RCD 75/59 would probably get you close to 800HP

you dont have a ton to worry about with whats done to the truck. maintenance only. there is a TON of money invested in that thing...

except i would get gearhead tunes for the SCT

MT_Diesel

Reaction score
sick truck. just needs wheels and tires. with that much fuel on tap i would upsize the turbos right away. RCD 75/59 would probably get you close to 800HP

you dont have a ton to worry about with whats done to the truck. maintenance only. there is a TON of money invested in that thing...

except i would get gearhead tunes for the SCT

You must have read my mind. Those are the exact things I was thinking of doing. Might also do a leatherseats.com ecstasy leather interior since the front seats have typical wear for the mileage. Gonna do a buckstop bumper right off the bat too. Thanks.

MT_Diesel

Reaction score
New diesel owner embarking on 2000 mile trip - Looking for advice

I thought I'd bump this up one more time since I'm leaving to get the truck in 2 days. Any help is greatly appreciated!

What can you offer me as far as advice for a new diesel owner? I’ve gotta drive it 2,000 miles, in winter, to get home. What do I need to know?

The truck isn't gated. What scenarios produce dangerous levels of EBP? What values would you consider dangerous or should I be more concerned about the ratio with boost?

Thanks a lot!

WYO7.3

Reaction score
I thought I'd bump this up one more time since I'm leaving to get the truck in 2 days. Any help is greatly appreciated!

What can you offer me as far as advice for a new diesel owner? I’ve gotta drive it 2,000 miles, in winter, to get home. What do I need to know?

The truck isn't gated. What scenarios produce dangerous levels of EBP? What values would you consider dangerous or should I be more concerned about the ratio with boost?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome!

I change fuel filters every other oil change

And drain the water separator usually every oil change (4000 miles)

I have barked many of turbos and have never worried about it, but some do. Turbo surge you usually can watch your boost gauge jump back and forth there are quite a few causes depending on the application.

My rule of thumb is under 300* it's ok to kill it unless I've been being hard on it then I usually give it a couple minutes.

In the winter I won't move the truck until my oil is at 100* and won't get on it until oil temp is above 160*

I can't help you out with high back pressure as I have no first hand experience in any thing other than stock turbo configurations.

These are my personal preferences I'm by no means an expert but haven't had to many issues.

Looks like a pretty slick truck. Hope it all works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Diesel

Reaction score
So I picked up the truck Saturday. Great truck and lots of fun. But, I kid you not, the check engine light comes on 20 minutes after I buy it. And I just had RCD do a full inspection on it last week! Talk about frustrating especially when I feel like I did my due diligence to check it out before flying out. I pulled codes and it was an open glow plug circuit for #1 & 7. Took it into RCD today and $560 later I've got a new glow plug relay and harness. I knew I'd have things that would need fixing (as on any 100k mile truck), just didn't think it would be in the first 20 minutes of ownership. Oh well I'm just glad I didn't have to raise the cab.

Other than that little hiccup and the surprise that the drivers side climate control is stuck on hot (blend door or actuator probably), the 750 miles driven today were great. I definitely like the truck. Only 900 miles to go tomorrow.

Plans for the truck (not necessarily in this order)
Repaint tailgate - there are a few paint chips
Truck bed tool box
Gearhead tunes
Wastegate, ported intake manifold, and hopefully sometime some Jr high powers or rcd 75\59
35" tires on some 18" wheels
Buckstop outback bumper to save me from those Montana deer
Headlight & aux light upgrade
Maybe someday a winch & air compressor
Leatherseats.com interior (current leather isn't in that bad of condition)

Should be fun. Hopefully it's a long lasting and reliable truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.