New Gearhead tunes: Now what?

ford141

Reaction score
I just received my new Gearhead files. There are 4 of them, .mcc file extentions. What do I do with them now? Do I drop them in my "custom" folder? I'm running a Mini Maxx.

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Yes, Drag and drop the tunes into your "Custom" folder on the SD Card on your computer and then Put the SD Card into your mini max (make sure you eject the SD card before you remove it from your computer).

From the main menu on your mini maxx select install download, complete the key on/off cycle, this time from the install menu you’ll find that it has an option to install MCC, select the MCC option. Make sure your mini maxx is on the batt power setting on the power box and not on the ignition selection.

The next menu you’ll be prompted to export an MCC file, or download custom file, select download custom file.

Input your 16 digit MCC unlock code

You’ll now be prompted to select which files to install, if you have multiple options, select the ENG/ECM file first, followed by the TCM/Trans file second.

I should note you should update the firm ware in your Mini maxx before you upload the MCC files.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ford141

Reaction score
Yes, that does help. Thanks!

As far as the 4 different files, does anyone know the difference between them? I see one says ECO, another says REG, then there one that has Hyb in the file name and a 4th as well.

Sent from the backwoods

DWhite

Reaction score
The 4th file will be engine file and should be something env2 or something like that.

Straight from larz at gearhead.

Anything above wot and all files should be the same. The Economy and Regular file will lock the converter in 3rd gear on up. The Economy tune should shift and lock the converter 200-300 rpms sooner than the regular file. The Hybrid file will only lock the converter in 5th and OD. It tries to keep the rpms above 1800, that file was really intended for the non vgt turbos and trucks with factory gearing and large tires.

DWhite

Reaction score
That will be your engine file. You will go to install download then export/import mcc. Then you will select download custom tune to truck. Then it will ask for the engine file. You will select e-av2ni then it will load it up and say it is made for an auto trans and this is where you will select from the other 3 files. I'd recommend starting with the reg File and see how that works for you.

Edit. You will also need the mcc unlock code if you haven't already bought it.

Last edited:

ford141

Reaction score
Oh, I get it now. 1 engine file, 3 trans files. Awesome. Thanks for the help! I do have the unlock code.

Sent from the backwoods

DWhite

Reaction score
Alright, no problem and you should be good to go and you'll be happy with your new found power.

Oh-ate6.4PSD

Reaction score
Good info. I was askin about this the other day, i kept trying to download the reg file first not knowing that was a trans tune and tuner kept restartin. Works now tho thanks

Bubba8

Reaction score
Hey guys I have custom tunes now. I love the tunes but I like the 5th gear lock up with the h&s trans file. Someone said that gearheads trans tunes won't lock until 5th unless you get in the throttle hard then it will lock up early. Is this the way his works? Thks guys

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Matt's tunes lock up in 4th and 5th under normal throttle, but unlike the canned H&S tunes, he actually uses 4th unlocked, then locks 4th, and then goes straight to 5th locked.

versus the H&S 5th lock tune that goes to 5th unlocked and then locks (at a fixed speed)

Under heavy throttle, his tunes lock in 2nd through 5th, just like H&S

Bubba8

Reaction score
My problem is this man. I live where the speed limit is like 30,35,40,45.. They all go from 30 to 45 at diffrent places, so if I'm not locked my trans constantly jumping in out . I get better gas mileage with the 4and 5th lock up option but it drives me insane jumping in and out, plus can't be good for trans. If I'm on long trip it's fine don't bother me a bit. Unfortunately most my driving is around this town. Anyways Thks for the reply man I'm gonna give gearhead a call

Latest posts

Members online