New truck dilema, Ram vs. Ford

CATDiezel

Reaction score
That's funny.. company I work for is swapping to fords now.. 6 out of 10 hot shot drivers drive dodge. most of them are 13-14s, and almost all of them have had head gaskets pop. . 50k miles on a truck when the HG pop.. nah I don't think so . theres a guy with a 6.7 ford that has just under 400k miles.. they shut if off long enough to change oil and other than that the thing was packing down pavement.

my point is every motor will have issues, its just what happens when you cram that much crap in a box. personaly, I have not seen new dodges come in with loose headlights because they rattled apart, I hear about endless transmission issues, I have seen that they are cheaply made and I would just never buy one. that's me.

Well the big difference I have have personally owned all three and late models to boot... The dodge never rattle squaked or anything. Used and abused it with a condition of OCD as well.... The Chevy on the other hand. The dash would fall into my hands from the abuse of lease roads. Both A - pillars fell off. Again. From lease roads. Dodge... never even remotely had a problem. It was as right as new when I got rid of it at 75k. I did some work to it when it was brand new tho. I head studded it on day 10. My chevy blew a head gasket at 99,000 miles. It was a lbz. Probably my fault!! Got alittle carried away with efi live.

All of my trucks (excluding my current weekend 2011) weighed in at a minimum of 11,000lbs daily.

Having been in the field with hundreds of guys round the clock with all three brands gave me a good understanding of the trucks and there issues.

Plenty of early 6.7l cummins had turbo issues. That was resolved in 09.

Lots of 6.4L in the ford house non stop. And plenty of 6.7L scorpions (cab and chassis) stay in the shop.

I don't give a flip what brand it is. Just calling it as it is with real factual data collected from what I've seen.

Btw... Most 6.7L cummins that pop a gasket tuned is due to the fact smarty programing is horribly full of excessive timing.

You want a Nother good example. See why most big ambulance services keep 3-4 diesel mechanics on staff. They are mainly still running 6.4l's.

If your familiar with Exterran Compression. You can ask them how many 6.7L engines they have replaced in there hotshot trucks. Just call them. There in McPherson Kansas.

Discalimer: I love my 6.7L!!!! Lol

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Well the big difference I have have personally owned all three and late models to boot... The dodge never rattle squaked or anything. Used and abused it with a condition of OCD as well.... The Chevy on the other hand. The dash would fall into my hands from the abuse of lease roads. Both A - pillars fell off. Again. From lease roads. Dodge... never even remotely had a problem. It was as right as new when I got rid of it at 75k. I did some work to it when it was brand new tho. I head studded it on day 10. My chevy blew a head gasket at 99,000 miles. It was a lbz. Probably my fault!! Got alittle carried away with efi live.

All of my trucks (excluding my current weekend 2011) weighed in at a minimum of 11,000lbs daily.

Having been in the field with hundreds of guys round the clock with all three brands gave me a good understanding of the trucks and there issues.

Lots of 6.4L in the ford house non stop. And plenty of 6.7L scorpions (cab and chassis) stay in the shop.

I don't give a flip what brand it is. Just calling it as it is with real factual data collected from what I've seen.

Btw... Most 6.7L cummins that pop a gasket tuned is due to the fact smarty programing is horribly full of excessive timing.

My 2011 Dodge never rattled or squeaked anymore than my Ford.

Danny26

Reaction score

You want a Nother good example. See why most big ambulance services keep 3-4 diesel mechanics on staff. They are mainly still running 6.4l's.

If your familiar with Exterran Compression. You can ask them how many 6.7L engines they have replaced in there hotshot trucks. Just call them. There in McPherson Kansas.

Pretty sure he said 13-14 Cummins and I don't think they have smarty tuning...

Last edited:

Jesse_01

Reaction score
Only problem I have with dodges, is the dealer in town. Nice thing about the cummins is you can get parts through any cummins dealer.

I had an 03 5.9 dodge, tranny was ****. I was also running a 300hp tune though. The engine never failed me once. I drove it hard, was only 23yr at the time lol. Even bent the front axle hitting a hole.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score

*Fiat.

F**k Dodge. My last one had the tranny go at 68k miles. That, and EVERYTHING in the front end. Just junk.

This, my friend has an 2007.5 6.7 and he had to put a built trans in with just tune and delete, now he has to replace the whole front end, and that set my final opinion on ram trucks.

littleredstroker

Reaction score

I have personally been in several of the new ones, one was a few months old when we went down a dirt road to go camping...the doors sounded as if they were going to fall off

the cummins with the head gasket popped is stock with an exhaust. he went through 3 hg before finally studding it to fix the issue ( head and block were flat)

ambulance fleets are required to have mechanics on hand regardless of the breed a lot of chevy ambulances around here.

Ive noticed the companies still running dodges are the ones who just get a bid for x amount of trucks and buy whichever comes in cheapest.

Some companieslet you pic your own and I see a lot more fords with them.

You cant say its " real factual data " and "collected from what ive seen " in the same sentence... that's called a opinion.

bottom line is everything is going to have issues. Some trucks of a specific make have issues, that doesn't mean they are all bad.

Based on factual data collected from what ive seen... I mean MY OPINION based off what ive seen is that dodge is still middle of the pack.

sootie

Reaction score
i spent last week in the oil field. chev/gms are nearly non existent with the exception of a few LBZs floating around. most trucks are <4 yrs old.

ford easily outnumbers dodge by 2.5-1.

now...i am talking about 3/4 and one ton trucks^^^.

there sure were more dodge 5500's than F550s

sootie

Reaction score
Why the *** does anyone care what is in the oilfields?

ummm that's where the highest volume of trucks are sold in Canada and where the most abuse happens. over 60% of driving is off road. there is likely some thought as to what brand trucks are purchased...

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Most oilfield trucks I see are fords, with some chevys and very few dodges. But, ford and dodge are pretty close when it comes to welding rigs.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
ummm that's where the highest volume of trucks are sold in Canada and where the most abuse happens. over 60% of driving is off road. there is likely some thought as to what brand trucks are purchased...

Maybe...

I think it comes down to brand preference just like everyone else. Relationships could factor in and obviously price and who steps up to the plate on a large purchase. I doubt that many construction companies have a data analytic department to break down what brand costs them what. Most of the companies dump the trucks prior to warranty being out anyway. I know a few large construction company owners and they purchase what the employee prefers or go back and forth because they get bored.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Maybe...

I think it comes down to brand preference just like everyone else. Relationships could factor in and obviously price and who steps up to the plate on a large purchase. I doubt that many construction companies have a data analytic department to break down what brand costs them what. Most of the companies dump the trucks prior to warranty being out anyway. I know a few large construction company owners and they purchase what the employee prefers or go back and forth because they get bored.

ive also noticed that truck that are diven by someone who likes them are taken care of a lot better vs someone driving a brand they hate .

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Most companies run through either donlan or ARI FLEET management. A few run through GE capital.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
If you want to keep it for 10 years id go with the ford. To put it simple the Dodge is cheaply built. I have never been around a dodge that had over 100k miles that didn't rattle, squeak and bang like a 1940 international.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

I agree with this 100%! Had nothing but issues after 60k.

Mahdeys

Reaction score
So with all that being said... What truck did you end up choosing?

Still waiting on the other truck to come in. I'm not buying the one that got a check engine light. This early in the game to have U codes on a truck soley run on Can is begging to have issues down the line. Saturday is when the other truck will be in.

In addition to this the Ram dealer on Saturday will also have a Ram 3500 the way I want it sans the rear air suspension. I'll let you guys know. Regardless I still have a 7.3 Excursion so I can still stick around if I buy the Ram. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online