New truck!

Lysons

Reaction score
So tomorrow I am going to Saskatoon with my dad to pick up my new truck.
A 2003 F250, with the 7.3 obviously.
It's a SCLB, and as far as I know it is all stock.
We got it for $2,000 and it has 456,000 km on it (283,000 miles).
The reason I am posting in the performance section is that I want to know what sort of chip, intake and exhaust I should put on it.
We had a 2000 F350 CCSB Dually Lariat LE for 10-12 years and it had a Hypertech programmer, K&N intake, and 4" turbo back.
That truck was amazing.

But to the point, what should I be putting into this truck?
I'm just going into grade 12, and I will be on a limited budget.
I know it has PMR's, which scares me a bit.

0114e989-8a44-4719-b556-14b7137b8c84.jpg

Last edited:

powerlifter405

Reaction score
QUOTE=Lysons;711413]Any ideas for a chip though?
The running board are coming off, and 20" rims are possibly going on.[/QUOTE]

You spent 2k on a truck and you're about to spend nearly the same on rims. FTW.. Maybe spend the money fixing the rust and paint on the fender wells 1st.

Use the search function you'll learn all you need to know about spending $$ on sh$t a high school kid doesn't need, trying to be like every other high school kid......

Last edited:

Lysons

Reaction score
ts chip or php hydra chip. As for the tunes nltd,php or gearhead imo.

The running board are coming off, and 20" rims are possibly going on.

You spent 2k on a truck and you're about to spend nearly the same on rims. FTW.. Maybe spend the money fixing the rust and paint on the fender wells 1st.

Use the search function you'll learn all you need to know about spending $$ on sh$t a high school kid doesn't need, trying to be like every other high school kid......[/QUOTE]

Idk how you could drive a stock 7.3 and be happy and a tuned 7.3 is far from fast lol.

I will look into those, thank you Sahara.

The rims are a spare set of factory 20's off a 2012 F350 that my dad has haha.
So I'm not worried about them costing a lot.
Plus the paint I am already looking into.

And I mostly want the chip for mileage.
I'm not going to put stacks on it, lift it up 10" and put 44" tires on it.

JD3020

Reaction score
Judging by the age, mileage, and fact that you are 18?, only thing i would do is nothing. Save your money for maintenance, repairs, fuel, etc... But unless its been meticulously maintained you'll be spending most of your money on fixing it. Been there, done that. I've got a pile of parts, an empty wallet, and a slow truck to show for it.

If anything i'd do a DIY intake, open the exhaust up, get some gauges, and maybe get a mild set of tunes.

FWIW I was 16 when i bought my truck, 17 when i bought a set of stage 1's, but decided to let them sit for a while. Dropped a set of AD's(stock SD injectors) in it, 17* HPOP, and some tunes. Told myself i'd take it easy and not break anything. Think i went 4 months, blew the transmission up. Guess that happens when you're 17 with a lightly modded OBS, and a heavy right foot. It was low budget power, but enough to break ****. And breaking **** is what gets ya.

Petro

Reaction score
Look into Power-Struck tuning. He has great deals on Chips and his tuning is very impressive. Good luck with the Old Girl.

Lysons

Reaction score
Judging by the age, mileage, and fact that you are 18?, only thing i would do is nothing. Save your money for maintenance, repairs, fuel, etc... But unless its been meticulously maintained you'll be spending most of your money on fixing it. Been there, done that. I've got a pile of parts, an empty wallet, and a slow truck to show for it.

If anything i'd do a DIY intake, open the exhaust up, get some gauges, and maybe get a mild set of tunes.

FWIW I was 16 when i bought my truck, 17 when i bought a set of stage 1's, but decided to let them sit for a while. Dropped a set of AD's(stock SD injectors) in it, 17* HPOP, and some tunes. Told myself i'd take it easy and not break anything. Think i went 4 months, blew the transmission up. Guess that happens when you're 17 with a lightly modded OBS, and a heavy right foot. It was low budget power, but enough to break ****. And breaking **** is what gets ya.

We've got spare parts from a 7.3 salvage that I can use, if I need to.
And I am only 17 haha.
I'm not looking at adding more fuel, just opening it up a bit for better mileage.
If anything, I want to save up for rods and that's about it.
The job I have lined up for the summer will do me plenty of justice with this truck, so I am not too horribly worried.

Bikeluver43

Reaction score
The PHP Pheonix is a great deal at $295 with much better tunes than a "canned' TS Chip that are now like $275 on ebay.

Then I'd add a 6637 air filter, then buy a straight pipe for the exhaust. Very cheap way to open her up, get better mileage, and be much quicker than stock.

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score

Use the search function you'll learn all you need to know about spending $$ on sh$t a high school kid doesn't need, trying to be like every other high school kid......

I will look into those, thank you Sahara.

The rims are a spare set of factory 20's off a 2012 F350 that my dad has haha.
So I'm not worried about them costing a lot.
Plus the paint I am already looking into.

And I mostly want the chip for mileage.
I'm not going to put stacks on it, lift it up 10" and put 44" tires on it.[/QUOTE]

U gonna run spacers on those wheels??

Reaction score

LOL I can relate to this. Bought my OBS when I was 15 after saving up for two years. It's not easy modding a truck with your own money in high school. By the end of my senior year I had stage 1's, IC, TW tunes, 6637, exhaust, and gauges. Everything was bought used except the chip and air filter. Maintenance included new ball joints, clutch, 12 slave cylinders (worn pivot arm on bell housing), clutch/brake pedal bracket, alternator, batteries, and way too many sets of tires.. That stuff was hard to afford as a high school student.

Jason

Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says, you will not get mpg from a chip...especially a high school kid behind the wheel. My mpg in my old chipped, 4" exhaust, and 6637 filtered 7.3 was around 16...driving like an old man. Granted, that was a ccsb 4x4, and stock height/tire size. My '00 regular cab, is stock, and I drive it like it's stock. It got 19mpg hand calculated, last tank of fuel I ran through it, that was all in town, minus 100 miles give or take 20 of 4 lane to my inlaws, at 64mph. I took a business trip with it, 230 miles of city, 280 highway, and got a tick over 20 out of that tank. It has a 38 gallon tank, and I usually run about 560-580 before I put in anywhere betweenn25-30 gallons. As much as I would like to put some more power to it, I know my driving habits would change..I don't mind paying for the fuel, i'm not a tight wad, and I don't try to drive for economy, but it's just nice to fill up once every 3 weeks.

Being in high school, I know you wanna be cool and trendy, but I personally would just drive, and maintain it...make it last you through school, and college if you go...then move on to something better.

mandkole

Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says, you will not get mpg from a chip....

agreed...its a myth but works good on the wife.:thumbup: More fuel = less mileage (especially when seeing the smoke come out is kinda cool)

Lysons, youre getting yer balls busted but everyone is speaking from experience. Young/new guys like yourself always give someone the opportunity to say 'what if I could do it over again'. Save your bones for maintenance and repair, learn something about it, and keep it maintained. In looking at the pics, the money for a chip will make a good dent in the rust repair on the bed.... I know, its not fun

always-strokin

Reaction score
The running board are coming off, and 20" rims are possibly going on.

Use the search function you'll learn all you need to know about spending $$ on sh$t a high school kid doesn't need, trying to be like every other high school kid......[/QUOTE]

lmao aren't you the guy that just yesterday posted how you cant stand how all the new posts being made around here are about what chip to buy and showing off 22's on rusty trucks?:thumbsup:

OP, thats a sweet looking truck. Wont take much at all to fix that minor rust up.

Also, go to beans diesel performance for your tuning; the best of the best.

Lysons

Reaction score
LOL I can relate to this. Bought my OBS when I was 15 after saving up for two years. It's not easy modding a truck with your own money in high school. By the end of my senior year I had stage 1's, IC, TW tunes, 6637, exhaust, and gauges. Everything was bought used except the chip and air filter. Maintenance included new ball joints, clutch, 12 slave cylinders (worn pivot arm on bell housing), clutch/brake pedal bracket, alternator, batteries, and way too many sets of tires.. That stuff was hard to afford as a high school student.

I'm not looking to mod it a lot.
We've got a new turbo wheel for it, and we are putting a tranny in.
But other than the 4" turbo back, intake and a chip, it will stay relatively stock.

I don't care what anybody says, you will not get mpg from a chip...especially a high school kid behind the wheel. My mpg in my old chipped, 4" exhaust, and 6637 filtered 7.3 was around 16...driving like an old man. Granted, that was a ccsb 4x4, and stock height/tire size. My '00 regular cab, is stock, and I drive it like it's stock. It got 19mpg hand calculated, last tank of fuel I ran through it, that was all in town, minus 100 miles give or take 20 of 4 lane to my inlaws, at 64mph. I took a business trip with it, 230 miles of city, 280 highway, and got a tick over 20 out of that tank. It has a 38 gallon tank, and I usually run about 560-580 before I put in anywhere betweenn25-30 gallons. As much as I would like to put some more power to it, I know my driving habits would change..I don't mind paying for the fuel, i'm not a tight wad, and I don't try to drive for economy, but it's just nice to fill up once every 3 weeks.

Being in high school, I know you wanna be cool and trendy, but I personally would just drive, and maintain it...make it last you through school, and college if you go...then move on to something better.

We've had good luck with chips/programmers/boxes with mileage, but I am only really going off what I have seen from my dads trucks.
Our 2000 F350 did get better mileage with a chip, but it didn't have a chip alone.
And being in high school will not affect my choices on my truck.
I know most teenagers want to put in a big pinch of chaw and "roll coal".
I'm passed that, I thought it was cool when I was 14.
I really want the truck for a DD and to do work.

agreed...its a myth but works good on the wife.:thumbup: More fuel = less mileage (especially when seeing the smoke come out is kinda cool)

Lysons, youre getting yer balls busted but everyone is speaking from experience. Young/new guys like yourself always give someone the opportunity to say 'what if I could do it over again'. Save your bones for maintenance and repair, learn something about it, and keep it maintained. In looking at the pics, the money for a chip will make a good dent in the rust repair on the bed.... I know, its not fun

Shhh, don't burst my mileage bubble LOL
I've got very limited experience, so I know there are gonna be guys on here busting my ass over stuff.
But I am willing to listen to most of it.
As long as they don't hit the "Put a Cummins in it" button.

lmao aren't you the guy that just yesterday posted how you cant stand how all the new posts being made around here are about what chip to buy and showing off 22's on rusty trucks?:thumbsup:

OP, thats a sweet looking truck. Wont take much at all to fix that minor rust up.

Also, go to beans diesel performance for your tuning; the best of the best.

She is a nice truck.
The engine is strong and sounds awesome.
Only problem is a bit of tranny slip, but it's already been sorted out.
For a good price too.
The rust won't take a whole lot to fix, so I am not worried.
And I am unsure of what to do about tunes.
Being in this very VERY rural part of Alberta puts me at a slight disadvantage for this kind of stuff.

Oh and one last thing, a guy asked about spaces on the rims.
If I decide (more like if dad lets me) to use the 20" rims, they will need a space, but I have heard lots of "horror" stories about spacers.
But we have also found some nice 18" rims with tires for a very wonderful price, so we will see.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online