No Explode build

sickslow

Reaction score
Im about to start a small project on my truck in an effort to loose the egr, new oil cooler and other reliability related items. I want to have everything I need before I start working on it because I go to college 2 hours from home. I'm hoping I can tackle all of this on a 3 day weekend so that I don't have to leave my truck sitting outside tore apart.

So far I have purchased
sinister EGR delete
turbo mounting kit (includes gaskets for remounting turbo and bolts)
4 gallons of Delo ELC coolant
AFE Pro dry s (stock donaldson got wet from zoodad mod :doh: )
2 intake manifold gaskets
emry wheels for cleaning turbo vanes because their sticking
new coolant filter
new oil
motorcraft oil filter
6.4 banjo bolts with washers
upgraded blue fuel spring and included gaskets

What I think I still need

Oil cooler
new metal cooler screen
15 gallons of distilled water
vc-9 or sometype of cooling system flush solution

What am I missing? I know that midway through this project I'm going to be missing some $1.50 gasket that will hault the project.

I plan on starting with 2 or 3 coolant flushes to get the Ford Gold crap out of my system. Then following sinisters directions for the egr delete and then some of the how-to's that I have seen on forums from there so that I can swap the oil cooler. If I can find a place to hot tank my intake manifold I am going to get that done. If not I am going to use a brush and some degreaser and do the best that I can. Along the way I'm going to put in the 6.4 banjo's, blue fuel spring kit and air filter. Then clean the turbo following some how-to's on the forums.

Does this sound like a pretty good plan or is there something that I should add to the list or possibly a different order of operations. I plan on doing studs when I get the money but being a 21 year old engineering student really puts a limit on the wallet.

Thanks in advanced guys! :blitzed:

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
since you are already taking the turbo/manifold off, a regulated return would be a lot easier to install, and would be a good investment for your injectors in the long run

Mdub707

Reaction score
STC fitting update? Has it been done yet? If not, I'd do that and the standpipes/dummy plugs while you're diving in. What about updated turbo feed and drain lines? Updated HPOP screen and updated IPR screen too.

sickslow

Reaction score
STC fitting update? Has it been done yet? If not, I'd do that and the standpipes/dummy plugs while you're diving in. What about updated turbo feed and drain lines? Updated HPOP screen and updated IPR screen too.

Im not sure exactly what those items are other than the turbo oil feed and drain. any info on what advantages these are over the older parrts?

Im hoping after doing all this i will get some of my fuel mileage back....When i got the truck a year ago it was getting 17mpg around town if i drove it moderately. mpg dropped about 6 months ago to 12 mpgwhen my ficm went out and had it dealer replaced. Im hoping maybe this was because of the new flash and maybe a ficm tune will bring some of this back.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yeah, get a FICM rollback. Talk to Bill @ PHP about it, tell him what flash you have now and he can tell you if you should do a rollback or not.

The dummyplugs and stand pipes have been upgraded to a new design, they're a common high pressure oil leak point on the 05+ motors. The STC fitting is a little fitting back on the top of the HPOP that will eventually crack and leak, Ford released a new improved piece. When any one of these components starts leaking you'll find a slight loss in power (sometimes not even noticeable) and very hard starting when warm, if it will start at all. Once cooled off, it will restart.

The HPOP screen is a new stainless material, the old one was a fiber, most are found broke when removed and it will let crap in at the pump itself.

sickslow

Reaction score
Still waiting on some of the gaskets to come and the $$$ for an oil cooler. I want to have it all before I start it.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
I did what you are doing in 3 nights working from 330pm to about 9pm. But also did a airdog II plus stc fitting. I think you should be fine, I bought the intake removal kit or what ever its called, which came with all the turbo and intake gaskets. Good luck and have fun

6.4psd916

Reaction score
I did what you are doing in 3 nights working from 330pm to about 9pm. But also did a airdog II plus stc fitting. I think you should be fine, I bought the intake removal kit or what ever its called, which came with all the turbo and intake gaskets, did the updated turbo lines too. Good luck and have fun.

sickslow

Reaction score
This is a semi old thread but I am finally starting this tomorrow night or friday morning. any last minute suggestions ?

Also for the flush I have 2 qts of vc9 and abunch of distilled water. I have read mixed opinions about leaving the termostat in during the flush or leaving it in while the vc9 is in there or taking it out initially. What do you all think about this?

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
IMO leaving it in will help more. Why are you using just the vc9(restore+) and not restore? It's a two part flush process...you do the first flush with restore then the second with restore+(vc9). You should also consider doing a reverse flush at the oil cooler. This may help http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family1/truck/Powerstroke Cooling System Flush v1-0.pdf

Read some of these threads from Powerstroke.org
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...49-doing-my-first-coolant-flush-tomorrow.html
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...844-restore-restore-plus-success-stories.html
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/201901-need-some-advice-coolant-flush.html

sickslow

Reaction score
I cant find the restore anywhere. Is there anything else that i can use? Also im doing a new oil cooler so is back flushing the old one really necessary?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

strokin6L

Reaction score
You can find the restore online...you're gonna hafta order it, that's what i did. If you don't use the restore, then i honestly wouldn't even waste my time doing a coolant flush. The sole purpose of the restore is to breakdown the silicate that's in the ford gold coolant that is known to plug oil and egr coolers. The restore+(vc9) is used to breakdown/loosen up rust/scale and deposits in the coolant system. This is why a coolant flush is a two part process. Also, i would still do a reverse flush reguardless. This will aid/help in pushing some clogged stuff that's in the oil cooler out making more room for water to be flushed through it during the flush process.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/emea_brochures/LI33024-GB.pdf

You can get both the restore and restore+ here http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/cooling/system_cleaners.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online