Noise on startup

aceltx

Reaction score
When the engine is cold and first started Im getting a noise from front of motor, almost sounds like a bad bearing in pulley or something or maybe the water pump, after the engine warms up it goes away, was more noticeable in winter, alternator is new so its bot that, anyone else ever experience the same, im leanin towards the water oump but hard to tell

aceltx

Reaction score
I'll try that 2morow, maybe i take belt off tryandstart it real quick to elimnate or confirm its def a pulley.

aceltx

Reaction score
Damn!! I cant figure it out, it is definatley a pulley. Ran it without belt no noise, put belt on noise came back, took belt off again noise gone. Only pullet that dodnt spin real easy by hand was the powersteering pump, but It felt like that was normal. The noise is so hard to pin point It almost sounds like it is coming from all of them, obviously not but just sayin it would he hard to even guess because im torn between all of em. Input a long piece of metal put to metal close to each pully then to my ear but cant hear anything that way. Tried from every side underneath, give it a day or 2 and try again. The Im gonna just start replacing larts lol!! Tension and idler are pretty cheap will go with those first. Lol any ideas???

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Damn!! I cant figure it out, it is definatley a pulley. Ran it without belt no noise, put belt on noise came back, took belt off again noise gone. Only pullet that dodnt spin real easy by hand was the powersteering pump, but It felt like that was normal. The noise is so hard to pin point It almost sounds like it is coming from all of them, obviously not but just sayin it would he hard to even guess because im torn between all of em. Input a long piece of metal put to metal close to each pully then to my ear but cant hear anything that way. Tried from every side underneath, give it a day or 2 and try again. The Im gonna just start replacing larts lol!! Tension and idler are pretty cheap will go with those first. Lol any ideas???

I would replace both the tensioner and idler pulleys, for the low cost of them. They are normally the problem pulleys when it comes to noise. Also, if you have a substantial amount of miles on the truck, it would be a good idea to replace them anyway.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I would replace both the tensioner and idler pulleys, for the low cost of them. They are normally the problem pulleys when it comes to noise. Also, if you have a substantial amount of miles on the truck, it would be a good idea to replace them anyway.
this^^^

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

mandkole

Reaction score
when troubleshooting belt drive chirping or other noise issues, feel free to spray a small shot of wd40 where the belt enters the pulley groove. if noise goes away, its the belt that's driving the noise. (Could be tensioner misalignment as well, but the belt would need changed.) If the noise is still there, then, give the bearings of each pulley a good shot listening where the noise changes.

Latest posts

Members online