Not sure where to go with P0299 EBP issue

6literdiesel

Reaction score
I recently bought an '05 Excursion and it passed all tests, but during the test drive I noticed that my CTS was not reading any exhaust back pressure. The truck drove find and had no codes so I figured I would go ahead and buy it then figure the issue out when I got home. I drove the truck from Houston to Atlanta without any issues, but somewhere in Alabama I had a P0299 pop up. No CEL, just the CTS reading the code when I scanned. There were still no driving issues so I continued home. Once home I began to research the code and the lack of EBP reading. I've searched the forums and I've found a lot of threads on them, but most of the P0299 threads point to the turbo, but some have indicated a link between the computer no seeing any EBP and that code. Most of the EBP reading issue threads I read were left open, there would be a great deal of opinions and ways to test but then the OP wouldn't come back and provide an update. I started by removing the EBP tube as well as the sensor and then cleaning them both. After this I ordered a new sensor (P/N 5C3Z-9J460-B) because my truck is an '05, this sensor did not fit however and I found that my existing sensor did not have the same tapered edge. I then ordered a sensor for the 03-04 6.0 (P/N 4C3Z-9J460-A) but after replacing the sensor this did not solve the issue either. My next step was to check the voltage at the sensor's connector, with the key on/engine off I found 5 volts between the sensor and the battery negative terminal. This past weekend my family and I took a camping trip and I towed our camper 8 hours each way and during the trip there the truck was running fine but then a CEL popped on and the EGTs were running high. I pulled over and ran the codes, but I still only had the P0299. I cleared the code and began to drive again, but I found that anytime the boost climbed pas 22lbs the CEL would pop on. That's not to say the boost couldn't go higher, the truck could boost up to 26lbs without any issue but then the CEL would come on. I was able to clear it and drive the remaining 4 hours to our destination with no CEL by monitoring the downshifts and keeping the boost under 22lbs. I did the same thing on our entire return trip and didn't have any issues. I'm not sure where to go next since the tube is clean, the sensor is new, and the sensor is receiving power. I welcome any suggestions anyone may have.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is there anydamage seen to the wiring harness? Specifically under where the air inlet to the turbo and ccv tube are? The ebp not reading right is most likely the cause of the p0299, as the ebp is used to adjustbthe turbo. Is there any corrosion seen in th pigtail as well? Typically ebp sensors an pigtails are a combo replacement, same with icp.

6literdiesel

Reaction score
Is there anydamage seen to the wiring harness? Specifically under where the air inlet to the turbo and ccv tube are? The ebp not reading right is most likely the cause of the p0299, as the ebp is used to adjustbthe turbo. Is there any corrosion seen in th pigtail as well? Typically ebp sensors an pigtails are a combo replacement, same with icp.

I haven't noticed any corrosion and I inspected the connector when I installed the new sensor. I will look for damage in those areas you mentioned in the morning.

Mcrafty1

Reaction score
I had this issue with my 07 and it was fixed when I removed the sensor from the EBP tube and cleaned it with a piece of trimmer string, It, may be helpful to use some type of solvent along with the trimmer line to loosen the carbon in the tube...also look on the inside of the sensor, mine was gunked up there also, I cleaned this with some solvent and the trimmer line at the same time. It also may be worth a mention that the MAP hose on the other bank of the engine could be plugged or cracked/broken and this will effect the EBP too.

The nipple on the intake that the MAP hose is connected to may be plugged and need be opened up too.

If this and the other info provided don't fix it you may be in store for a turbo cleaning.....because of a stuck unison ring

Last edited:

rentstdi

Reaction score
I only have ebp issues when using a certain tune. Nobody else's tunes cause it so I just don't run that tune anymore. Have plenty of tunes

6literdiesel

Reaction score
I had this issue with my 07 and it was fixed when I removed the sensor from the EBP tube and cleaned it with a piece of trimmer string, It, may be helpful to use some type of solvent along with the trimmer line to loosen the carbon in the tube...also look on the inside of the sensor, mine was gunked up there also, I cleaned this with some solvent and the trimmer line at the same time. It also may be worth a mention that the MAP hose on the other bank of the engine could be plugged or cracked/broken and this will effect the EBP too.

The nipple on the intake that the MAP hose is connected to may be plugged and need be opened up too.

If this and the other info provided don't fix it you may be in store for a turbo cleaning.....because of a stuck unison ring

I tried cleaning the sensor and tube first. I used hot water and weed eater line. Then a blew them out with compressed air, cleaned again, and blew them out again. I forgot to mention in the original post, but I also cleaned/checked for cracking on the MAP hose and nipple on the manifold.

I only have ebp issues when using a certain tune. Nobody else's tunes cause it so I just don't run that tune anymore. Have plenty of tunes

I don't have any tunes installed on this truck.

Mcrafty1

Reaction score
If you haven't cleaned your turbo...It could very well be a stuck unison ring. Just because the dash gauge says it's boosting up to 26 doesn't mean it actually is, it just means that the PCM is calling for that much boost. The PO299 pops up when the turbo won't actually produce what the PCM is calling for. I believe there is a time lapse of 15 seconds before the code pops up when the PCM demands it which is why it doesn't always set the code. There are other reasons for the code, many of which you have already addressed....this is another of the common ones.

6literdiesel

Reaction score
If you haven't cleaned your turbo...It could very well be a stuck unison ring. Just because the dash gauge says it's boosting up to 26 doesn't mean it actually is, it just means that the PCM is calling for that much boost. The PO299 pops up when the turbo won't actually produce what the PCM is calling for. I believe there is a time lapse of 15 seconds before the code pops up when the PCM demands it which is why it doesn't always set the code. There are other reasons for the code, many of which you have already addressed....this is another of the common ones.

I'm reading boost through my CTS, I don't have a dash gauge for boost. I've read a lot of threads about the 0299 code being linked to the turbo needing to be cleaned, but that doesn't address why I'm not seeing any back pressure. My inability to read back pressure is where I'm stuck. If I can figure that out I will feel more comfortable moving down the line in troubleshooting.

Did you ever get this sorted out?

I did not, but in fairness I have not done anything further to try and figure it out either. I've been on the road for work and while I'm home this week, I've been catching up on other things.

Mcrafty1

Reaction score
I'm reading boost through my CTS, I don't have a dash gauge for boost. I've read a lot of threads about the 0299 code being linked to the turbo needing to be cleaned, but that doesn't address why I'm not seeing any back pressure. My inability to read back pressure is where I'm stuck. If I can figure that out I will feel more comfortable moving down the line in troubleshooting.

I did not, but in fairness I have not done anything further to try and figure it out either. I've been on the road for work and while I'm home this week, I've been catching up on other things.
I believe your CTS gets it info from the same place as the dash gauge??? If so it is going to get the same result. If this is true you can't expect to get a different reading even though you are using a different way to monitor. To be sure the turbo is boosting as it should be you'd need to install a manual boost gauge......if I'm right on my thinking.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.