Oil change= ridiculous lope

Pstrke96

Reaction score
So I like to think I'm pretty inclined mechanically. I am a diehard 7.3 guy and I have owned 3 personally and fam has had about 15 more. that being said I've changed a lot of rotella with Lucas stabilizer in it over ten years. I did a change on my stock 02 5000 miles ago 1 gal Lucas 11 quarts rotella 15-40 Dino .
On first start after change it loped ridiculous and had zero power . I called a ford diesel tech friend and we agreed Lucas made it to thick and once it thinned out all would/should be better. We'll now 5,000 miles later half of which towing a 16k fw tt it still lopes like crazy on first start of day. It will lope for 30 seconds or so then stall if started normally. If I stab the throttle it will smooth out and be great rest of the day. There's no smoke, temp makes no difference, no cel, I'm stumped also it seems to take about 6-8 mins at idle or stuff it down the street to get ebpv to open and let truck perform normally. Also changed GPR on same day as oil in February. I plan tomorrow to change hpo res oil and add about a quart of sea foam unless I get some advice tonight thanks in advance guys.... Gary

Arisley

Reaction score
OK a couple things.

1. In a 7.3, or any HEUI engine for that matter, never, ever put anything in the crankcase except oil.

2. You can change your HPO reservoir very simple. Start the motor, blip the throttle a couple times, presto, your HPO reservoir oil is changed.

For the lope, check the IPR solenoid/electromagnet thingy. Make sure you can remove it. Mine fried to the IPR shaft, the first symptoms were a lope at first start, after a romp on the throttle, all was good for the rest of the day.

I am betting if you change the oil, (the crankcase oil) everything will be fine.

webb06

Reaction score
Usually when a 7.3 lopes on first start the ipr valve is sticking inside. I've heard of people cleaning them but we always just replace them.

ghohouston

Reaction score
OK a couple things.

1. In a 7.3, or any HEUI engine for that matter, never, ever put anything in the crankcase except oil.

2. You can change your HPO reservoir very simple. Start the motor, blip the throttle a couple times, presto, your HPO reservoir oil is changed.

For the lope, check the IPR solenoid/electromagnet thingy. Make sure you can remove it. Mine fried to the IPR shaft, the first symptoms were a lope at first start, after a romp on the throttle, all was good for the rest of the day.

I am betting if you change the oil, (the crankcase oil) everything will be fine.

Was this the issue at ennis in 2013, when you showed matt at gearhead what it was doing? I specifically remember you showing us your truck loping on startup.

mustube

Reaction score
Lucas is crap. Go to an auto parts store and spin the little display real fast and see how quick it aerates. You have a gallon of that in your motor.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Pstrke96

Reaction score
I will change oil tomorrow anyone suggest a different oil for the rest of my hot summer towing easily available I have o Reilly advance azone and walmart all close by

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
You couldn't pay me to put rotella back in my truck! The first couple years I owned my truck I used rotella because everyone I knew at that time used it. But it always had a slight skip/miss at low RPMs. I thought the injectors were going out. It got so bad I was about to park it. Even with fresh oil. Then I changed it one day and put some regular fleet oil out of a 55 gal drum we had at our shop and almost instantly after start up it idled smooth as a new one! Ran smoother with better oil pressure.

I've since started running Mobil and at over 200000 it still starts quick and runs smoothly.

I know a lot of people use rotella with no issues but my truck hates it!

mustube

Reaction score
I switched to delo from rotella and my truck likes it just a little bit better.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

TARM

Reaction score
Unless its changed lucas dino oil has been well known to foam badly and why it does not work well in HEUI motors. In fact IIRC lucas oil additive in the white bottle states specifically "not for use in powerstroke engines" This was because of the foaming IIRC. I think the syn version does not have this issue though. Still I steer clear of it. I have only used Schaeffers for quite some time and have been using it for at least 10 yrs now. Its hard to get for some so I would not make that my first rec unless you had a local dealer.

Rotella would not be my choice either.

m j

Reaction score
I ran one oil change of lucas syn 15/40 and my truck really liked it
i usually run t6 rotella cause its cheap and available

TARM

Reaction score
Yes Syn I recall see was suppose to be OK. I personally just steered clear from all of it when the first issues were found. I think Syn can along later for when I first dealt with the issues.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Lucas now has a oil Additive (they have had it for years now) Made just for the Powerstroke Engines. Its made to work in the 7.3 and 6.0. i have used it without aproblem. My brother runs it in every oil change without a problem. Its just cost so much.

TARM

Reaction score
See that shows you just how long its been and why I made note of it. So you do actually need a separate oil additive specific for the PS if you want to use the normal white bottle (are they still white bottles? with Syn being black?) or does it come already blended?

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Any special Mobil you like strokr

I've been running the Mobil Delvac and so far so good.
ysaqy8ej.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
See that shows you just how long its been and why I made note of it. So you do actually need a separate oil additive specific for the PS if you want to use the normal white bottle (are they still white bottles? with Syn being black?) or does it come already blended?

The bottle for the Powerstrokes is just white with A Black section, It also has a Picture of a Ford SD on it. And says Made to be used in the Powerstroke Diesel.

Latest posts

Members online