Oil Cooler decision.....

sickslow

Reaction score
I am trying to decide if I should go in for an oil cooler or not. The reason that I am trying to decide right now is because I just got a coolant filter and an egr delete and I know after I put these on the chances of getting the oil cooler replaced under warranty is slim. I wish i could run the coolant filter for awhile before a new oil cooler so that the new one has no chance of clogging but I want to get this egr delete on as soon as possible so its either all of it now or get a new cooler (if they will warranty it) then put on the parts.

My temps cruising around 55mph are only about a 9 degree spread. When Im running around 75mph the temps will fluctuate from 13 to 16 degrees different (EOT>ECT). The one thing that confuses me about this is that the oil never gets hot so it seems odd to get a new cooler. An average interstate reading would be ECT 180 EOT 194.....so the spread is 14 but its still pretty cool....maybe my thermostat is sticking a little? The faster average speed im running the greater the spread. When in town with the occasional red lights I only see about a 7 degree spread. I know one of the main concern of a clogging oil cooler is that it starves the EGR cooler of coolant causing it to rupture. According to that wouldnt it be ok to delete the EGR (removing cooler failure risk) and leave this cooler in? Is it wishful thinking to get rid of that risk and bet on the coolant filter keeping the oil cooler at its current state for a couple more years? I plan on doing studs this summer or next summer and I would replace the cooler then on my own dime but by that point the filter would have the coolant passages in much better shape.......If only ford would see that im trying to help my truck and not hurt it....lol

Also what is the chance that if I took it in to the dealership that they would replace the cooler. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes of time cruising the interstate to reach close to a 15 degree gap and usually it will hit 15 and fall back to 14 or 13 within a minute. I don't want them to say some dealership bs like "your monitor is not as accurate as your factory temp gauge and as long as its not hot your fine" I think we all know here that the factory gauge is useless.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
If you have to tear it down far enough to do the EGR delete, you might as well do the extra work and change the oil cooler out. Plus the cooler itself is under $250. The added peace of mind is worth it!!!

Mdub707

Reaction score
They say they are reusable, but I wouldn't dig in there and not replace them for how cheap they are.

Zmann

Reaction score
with those temp spreads you probably wouldn't get the dealer to do the cooler
even if they did it would cost you the $100

I fought hard to get mine done and even brought data log files and pictures

they still denied me two times until they realized I was just going to come back every day until it was covered lol

like stated I wouldn't mess with the dealer since your going to be there anyway

sickslow

Reaction score
Zmann thats what i was afraid of.

TxFireman1972 i cant find that oil cooler that cheap. The one im seeing on there is around $375

windrunner408

Reaction score
You usually have to call them to get the price. I am not sure if you are going to try to get the dealer to install this or not but IMO what wouldnt be a bad idea is if you installed the coolant filter and ran it for a little while like you wanted to and then take it off. It can be removed rather painlessly IMO, then you could take it to the dealer for them to do the work if they agree to.

If you decide to do it outside of the dealer, I would still do the oil cooler if you install the egr delete, because as it was already mentioned; it is SO much better to do the whole job once and if you could swing it, maybe wait until you have enough to do headstuds as well. I did an egr delete and oil cooler replacement and then went back in 9 months later for the head studs, what a PITA that was. JMO and hope it helps give some perspective.

sickslow

Reaction score
Well I installed the coolant filter today. Im going to slowly buy some more parts as I get the money (being a full time engineering student makes it hard to have time to work a whole lot). I have the egr delete sitting here in my room, I am going to try to get an oil cooler, intake gaskets, upgraded turbo oil drain, dozers diesel banjo bolts, and blue fuel pressure regulator spring. I hope to be able to buy all of this piece by piece and then install it all at one time. Do you all think that I am missing anything for this small build?

Since I have to remove the intake now I am going to intensively clean it somehow. I also plan on taking the turbo apart and refurbishing it while I have it out. It has been sticking for a few months now especially after wide open throttle runs for a few seconds the vgt% on my insight will read 85% and it will not build any boost until the vgt % jumps back to around 55 or 60 after about 5 seconds. I think this is sticking vanes. Not really sure what else it could be...:shrug: I hope my unison ring isnt cracked or something like that....

Latest posts

Members online