Oil cooler

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Anyone upgrade the oil cooler yet? Have not even looked to see what the stock set up is yet as far as being able to add a secondary cooler. Oil temp is considerably higher then I care to see. Pulling hills with my enclosed trailer (28k gcvw) I was seeing 245-250 degree oil temp on the longer hills and it was only 50 degrees outside. This was not even pushing the truck hard. Maybe 80-90 percent throttle.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Anyone upgrade the oil cooler yet? Have not even looked to see what the stock set up is yet as far as being able to add a secondary cooler. Oil temp is considerably higher then I care to see. Pulling hills with my enclosed trailer (28k gcvw) I was seeing 245-250 degree oil temp on the longer hills and it was only 50 degrees outside. This was not even pushing the truck hard. Maybe 80-90 percent throttle.

http://marylandperfdiesel.com/i-15916922-6-7l-oil-cooler-relocation-kit.html

DWhite

Reaction score
Wow. I can't say I have ever seen mine that high weighing around 22-24k pulling hills. I think the highest I've ever seen mine was around 215-220. I am running 10-30 oil though.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
That's a sweet set up!! For the cost I'd switch to a high quality synthetic oil first to see what happens. Considering most synthetics will hold up to higher heat ranges it's cheap insurance.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
When towing I have seen 235 plenty of times. I don't care to see them that high. I back off after they get up there.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
My 6.4 with the same trailer would never go over 220. I switched to gauge mode while towing this weekend and :shocked:. Some of the hills on I-81 in PA are a good five minute long pulls. I am thinking with the weather being 90-100 in the summer it will be a real issue. Still on the factory oil right now. Planning to change it this week. Just cant make up my mind on what brand right now.

04stroker

Reaction score
My 6.4 with the same trailer would never go over 220. I switched to gauge mode while towing this weekend and :shocked:. Some of the hills on I-81 in PA are a good five minute long pulls. I am thinking with the weather being 90-100 in the summer it will be a real issue. Still on the factory oil right now. Planning to change it this week. Just cant make up my mind on what brand right now.

Lubrication engineers hands down stuff is amazing. Jim also usually can ship for free.

RedRice589

Reaction score
Wow. I can't say I have ever seen mine that high weighing around 22-24k pulling hills. I think the highest I've ever seen mine was around 215-220. I am running 10-30 oil though.

Different motors and setups.

Lubrication engineers hands down stuff is amazing. Jim also usually can ship for free.

I'll look into it. I'm getting close to needing to do the same.

redwhitenblue

Reaction score
Has anyone tried that mpd oil cooler kit to get some data? Ideally I would like to run the oil to water exchanger followed by an air to oil cooler to keep temps stable but cool.

I noticed today climbing a big mtn range puling only 7-8k at 60 my eot was up to 245 and the ect to 220 without the fan clutch kicking on. Trans stayed nice and cool well below 200*. Ambient was 80f and egts were in the 1150-1250 range.

Kinda disappointed!

MrGTO

Reaction score
Reading on BTOG, most Dino oils are tested @ 300F for an hour and synthetics are tested @ 350F for an hour to pass the new standards. I think as long as you have standard OCIs these temps we see are acceptable for the oil. I do wish the coolers did a better job but I assume Ford engineers did their homework, but you know what they say about assuming....

redwhitenblue

Reaction score
Reading on BTOG, most Dino oils are tested @ 300F for an hour and synthetics are tested @ 350F for an hour to pass the new standards. I think as long as you have standard OCIs these temps we see are acceptable for the oil. I do wish the coolers did a better job but I assume Ford engineers did their homework, but you know what they say about assuming....

One problem with high oil temps though is it starts to affect coolant temp which is what I saw yesterday. I'd like a stock cooler plus and air to oil cooler maybe with a fan on it.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Imo the 245* oil temp I was seeing with it 50* outside it not exceptable at all. I was pulling a good load but not even full throttle. 100% stock drivetrain. And the temps were still climbing at the top of the hill fairly fast. I would rather not delete the factory cooler. There must be a better way

redwhitenblue

Reaction score
Imo the 245* oil temp I was seeing with it 50* outside it not exceptable at all. I was pulling a good load but not even full throttle. 100% stock drivetrain. And the temps were still climbing at the top of the hill fairly fast. I would rather not delete the factory cooler. There must be a better way

I don't know what is common on trucks but on race cars that run at 100% capacity for laps on end they use the stock oil to water followed by one or two air to oil coolers with fans. Still regularly see 250* but not a bunch higher.

Does anyone know what ect the fan clutch kicks in at? Or if any tuners can drop the activation temperature? I'd happily pay for it.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
The only downside to running an oil to air cooler is the fact you can run the oil too cool. Depending on location, you may not be able to keep your oil hot enough to evaporate the water within the crankcase. This buildup of water will cause excess amounts of acids to be created, which will rapidly degrade the oil.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
I've never broken 220 on my oil personally. Mind ya we don't get 100 degree summer temps either but I do town 12-15k quite often....

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the 6.7 game so I'm not super familiar with the motor layout, but wouldn't a water (coolant) to water (oil) cooler be like the end all? I have no idea how easy that would be, to accomplish, but surely for the $1300 it takes for a MPD kit something could be figured out.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I don't know what is common on trucks but on race cars that run at 100% capacity for laps on end they use the stock oil to water followed by one or two air to oil coolers with fans. Still regularly see 250* but not a bunch higher.

Does anyone know what ect the fan clutch kicks in at? Or if any tuners can drop the activation temperature? I'd happily pay for it.

My track toy will see 275 degree oil temps in hot weather but I change the oil after each event too.

I also never heard the engine fan come on. And did not have a monitor with me to check coolant temps. Just really surprised I guess. I have never had a ford with cooling issues before. Is this typical with all the 6.7 trucks or just the 2015 with the bumped up power?

Jomax

Reaction score
I hit 249 towing 17k up a 6% grade for 5min. If ford let's it get that hot. I'm not worrying about it. It's got warrenty. Run a good synthetic and rock on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online