Oil cooler

outlawpowerstroke

Reaction score
Ok so what's the easiest way to get the oil cooler out to fix it cause it's leaking.ive done one on my 7.3 Idi before and I really don't wanna jack the motor up again but I guess I will if I have to.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Drain oil and coolant. Remove filter and block heater element.

I have always unbolted the rear mount(filter mount) and pull the cooler out of the front. For me it's been easier then wrestling the entire unit out in one piece. Then remove the front mount. Clean everything and replace Orings obviously. Reinstalling I have done both ways but again I find it easier to install the front mount and new gasket by itself. Install the tube to the front mount with its new orings. Then slide in that unit to the front mount and install the rear mount to the block. It's not fun and it's not easy. But that's how I've done several of them rather then installing the whole unit as one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdumont01

Reaction score
Definitely like stated above. Trick is once the front adapter is on take the tube and rear adapter hold it in place and you can take a prybar between the exhaust manifold and cooler and press it together. If the block heater is seized in don't worry about it I have left them in before and never had a problem. Good luck I just did mine last month

old man dave

Reaction score
Try using a ratchstrap to compress the cooler after lubing the orings. Bolt in one end fingertight and then compress the assembly.

7.3obs

Reaction score
The way I've always done it is take filter off, pull block heater. Take a shower in the antifreeze that comes out. Remove bolts. Front I usually take the tire off and come through wheel well with some extensions. Pull aseambly out torwards transmission. Get a rubber maleate and hit ends off. Replace orings, grease! I use a press because I'm a scrony feller and don't have enough lead in my a$$ to get the caps back on. Getting the cooler back up in can be a pain. Make sure you don't have your tongue over your eye tooth. It'll go in. Replace the gaskets. I put the front two bolts in first. The assembly should spin to catch the back 3. Torque specs are 18 ft lbs I believe. Teflon tape on block heater. Replace or put filter back on. Add coolant and oil as needed.

That's how I've always done it. Never had oil in antifreeze or vise versa and I've done 4 of them.

Also make sure they're ford orings. Diesel oring has them for 75$ or so.

outlawpowerstroke

Reaction score
Ok so I got around to doin the oil cooler finally and I got it in n out in one piece.new orings and gaskets.well I started it up to check everything and I shut it off after acouple mins and checked the oil and it was milky.i didn't think to check it before that but could removeing it without draining the coolant first result in that or am I lookin at redoing it agian

outlawpowerstroke

Reaction score
Well it ended up just being from water in the filter I think. I let it run for awhile and it went from milky to black so it evaporated what water was in there lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.