Oil Leak between head and Rocker Box

DHFF

Reaction score
As the title states I've got an oil leak immediately after having an engine rebuilt at the dealer and I am 100% againts taking it back there. Long story...

Anyway, I noticed it dripping a considerable amount from the right rear of the engine when sitting and idling and after a few days its scattered down the underside of the drivetrain from driving down the interstate. I cleaned it up and started it and watched. Its coming from the rear of the cylinder head between the rockerbox and head. Just pulsing slightly and not pushing a lot but its still leaking.

These were probably replaced when I had the motor built because I bought the entire engine gasket set from ford. What are my options now? Do I have to pull the head to replace this gasket? The diagram on Alldata shows the studs go throught the rockerbox at least on the lower side of the head so that means Id have to pull those nuts off the studs at the very least.....

I hate this truck.

Mdub707

Reaction score
BUMP for my buddy here... he's had a HELL of a time with this truck. One nightmare after the other... hope it's an easy fix for you dude, not really sure which way to go here. I'm assuming the "correct" way is to pull the whole head, new gasket, head back on, new valve cover gasket etc... it'd be nice if you could just pop the rocker box off and do the gasket there and put it back... not sure if it would compromise the headgasket seal or not.

DHFF

Reaction score
Yeah me too Mike, I'd like to get it fixed because other than that its pretty sound finally. Not sure where to go with it at this point.

ghohouston

Reaction score
With the amount of head bolts going through the rocker box, I would say youre going to have to pull the head and replace the head gasket. Such a dumb idea to have that rubber gasket under that box.

webb06

Reaction score
You'll have to pull the head unless you want to fix it for now...you could probably clean it real well with ether or brake clean and use some silicon in the area it's leaking. Apply very thin coats and see if it works.

Crappy situation after just being rebuilt

Mdub707

Reaction score
This was just picked up from his local Ford dealer like this... after they've had it for months. They literally handed him the keys to it knowing it was leaking.

Tough call Jerid, if it was a simple rocker box gasket and you didn't have to yank the head I'd say do it yourself... but that's slightly more of a chore. Or at least get them to give you the parts needed to do it yourself. That is some BS.

78f100

Reaction score
That sucks man, if it is for sure the rocker box gasket you will have to replace the head gasket along with it. I have heard of several people pulling the rocker box off without changing the head gasket but I don't think its worth the risk. I wonder if they reused your old rb gaskets. The dealer should fix it for you.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Because he's had the absolute worst experience I've ever seen at a dealership, and if you've ever read my posts about my experiences, you'd know that's saying a lot.

It's been sitting there for so long... they can't diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag. I think he's just over it being at the dealer. I can't blame him at this point. It definitely should be a warranty thing, but it may not even be worth the frustration.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Because he's had the absolute worst experience I've ever seen at a dealership, and if you've ever read my posts about my experiences, you'd know that's saying a lot.

It's been sitting there for so long... they can't diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag. I think he's just over it being at the dealer. I can't blame him at this point. It definitely should be a warranty thing, but it may not even be worth the frustration.

I feel ya. I was just curious. Maybe a call to ford corporate would get this straightened out? I understand not wanting any part of it after awhile. Money out of pocket becomes worth it to escape the stress

DHFF

Reaction score
You'll have to pull the head unless you want to fix it for now...you could probably clean it real well with ether or brake clean and use some silicon in the area it's leaking. Apply very thin coats and see if it works.

Crappy situation after just being rebuilt

Like Mike said, its NOT going back to the dealer. Ive spent 20k in the last year at 2 different dealers because of shady managers. At this point its either going to leak for awhile, or I'm gonna try the above silicone trick and see. Its one defined spot so I think I may be able to seal it up... Does this mean I have to pull all the rockers and pushrods or can all that stay in??? Thanks for the help fellas!

ghohouston

Reaction score
Yes you will have to pull injectors, intake manifold, rockers, push rods, head and bolts, thats just off top of my head, sure theres more

DHFF

Reaction score
I only meant to try the silicone but the more i think about it thats a bad idea.....

webb06

Reaction score
I only meant to try the silicone but the more i think about it thats a bad idea.....

you could atleast get it to stop leaking by putting silicon on it. its worth a shot in my opinion.

unless you want to just have it fixed....up to you

ghohouston

Reaction score
IF you try to silicone it, use ford grey silicone. Its hands down the best silicone ive ever used. We use it on everything at work from fords to macks to pete's, you get it.. oil pans, front covers, diff covers, etc

webb06

Reaction score
IF you try to silicone it, use ford grey silicone. Its hands down the best silicone ive ever used. We use it on everything at work from fords to macks to pete's, you get it.. oil pans, front covers, diff covers, etc

amen

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score
I understand the dealer thing.

BUT.... I worked at a ford dealer for a while, if you call ford's customer service place and light them up about it and keep calling, you will get your way. They don't joke with that stuff. We had field service reps randomly show up asking what the **** was goin on. And lit into the manager. Ford doesn't joke around with that stuff

DHFF

Reaction score

Well I may give it a try. I just don't want to end up with a piece of it in an injector or something that may cause more headache down the road. It drips about a 2" spot when it sits overnight so its not a huge leak. I may end up seeing if Flynn's Shop here in illinois will do it.

Latest posts

Members online